X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Movie theater execs fight shrinking DVD window

By Paul Thomasch and Yinka Adegoke

NEW YORK -- Executives from top movie theater chains on Wednesday dismissed calls to shorten the period between a film's release on the big screen and on DVD, saying it would be harmful to studios, theaters and consumers.

Some studio executives, including Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Robert Iger, have called for faster DVD releases to combat rising piracy over the Internet, amid slowing sales of DVDs and a U.S. box office slump.

But executives from Regal Entertainment Group, the world's largest movie theater chain, and National Amusements Inc. disagreed with a narrower theatrical window -- the time between when movies are released in theaters and subsequently on DVD.

"Shrinking windows is bad for business and I mean everybody's business," said Shari Redstone, president of privately held National Amusements, at the Bank of America Media, Telecommunications and Entertainment Conference.

National Amusements operates 1,500 movie screens around the world, some of which have been outfitted with express concessions, leather rocking chairs, live pre-show entertainment and other successful gimmicks.

She said offering a fuller, more entertaining experience to consumers not only generates more revenue, but protects the theatrical window.

"We need to be focused on bringing the wow factor back to the experience," she said. "Movies are meant to be seen in the theater."

Films, on average, move to the home video market about four months after their release in theaters, a timeframe that has been steadily shrinking over recent years and eroding the exclusivity theaters used to enjoy.

Disney's Iger has even suggested previously that the industry may need to release DVDs while films are still in theaters.

At Wednesday's conference, however, Lew Coleman, president of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. , the maker of animation films like "Madagascar," came down on the side of theater owners.

"We pretty much agree with Shari," he said. "We're happy with the window structure as it is now and we won't put any pressure on changing that."

Regal Chief Executive Michael Campbell said calls for a quicker DVD release were overblown by the media.

"I think the hype is greater than the reality," he said, adding that he believed the studios agreed on the need to maintain a window, which he said shrank by just four days last year.

"I don't sense there is a reason for the window to collapse," said Campbell. "I think the studios know that."

National Amusements' Redstone, who is also vice chairman of CBS Corp. and Viacom, said the industry should even consider extending the period between when a movie is shown on the big screen and when it is available for home viewing.

"I do think that if we went back to the way the windows were before it would be better for everyone," she said. "I think people are actually starting to explore that option."

Still, she suggested studios and theaters needed to better cater to consumer needs. "We need to give the consumer a reason to leave the house, put down the iPod," she said.

Source: REUTERS

Original link is here
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Remember when the battle over "day and date" meant getting DVDs released at the same time as VHS tapes? (Whatever those are.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If they want to do something about shrinking movie-goers and profits, bring back those great old cinema palaces where the atmosphere and surroundings were sometimes better than the movie on screen. But not much chance of that happening, in my part of the world anyway. As for waiting for a release on dvd, it has never bothered me all that much.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, if movie theaters could make an enjoyable experience for me, I'd be more willing to go to the theaters now. But until then, I'm watching all my movies in my home theater and going to the movies only for new releases that I can't wait for DVD.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

The theatre PQ/SQ suck, 95% of the movies suck, the noisy, crowded people suck, the prices (especially concessions!) suck..... They should be asking why they still have people even going at all! :lol:
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"