Just curious,what size tv do you have in the bedroom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

Just curious,what size tv do you have in the bedroom...

I just finished doing over our bedroom...painting,new flooring,new furniture,and now the fun part.
    I decided to replace our old tube with a new plasma or LCD.Yesterday my wife and I went out shopping...dreaded words there.
    Naturally,I said that 50 inch looks great!!!...she of course said she would feel like she was in a theater while in bed.And I said...yessssss,you would.
    Which is not a good thing for her...

She feels like a 37 inch would be plenty...which from our viewing distance,around 12 feet, would not cut it for me.I then said I would come down to a 46,which will be wall mounted....

Anyway we left without buying...I'm thinking I will come down to a 42,but that's where I'm drawing my line in the sand,not that it means anything to her...

Just curious,what size do you married guys have in the bedroom?
    Last edited by H.Donald; 25 February 2008, 13:44 Monday.
  • Ian D
    • Jun 2005

Our viewing distance led on the bed is 2.5 metres to the screen and I think our 32" LCD should have been 37" Unfortunately my wife thinks the 32" is just fine ;-(

Cheers Ian
    :^x

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

0.0 Inch....
      -Joe

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

20" in one, none in the other.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

Hmmmm...sounds like I'd better run with the 37 inch before my wife reads this.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

My wife (who makes a ton more money than me) not only indulges my HT hobby, she finances a good chunk of it (I have over 10,000$ in gear and media and I would NEVER have managed that on my own salary). However, no matter HOW MUCH money ever comes into our account and no matter how big our bedroom ever gets, the MAXIMUM screen size in our bedroom will always be--ZERO inches. This is non-negotiable (barring an accident/illness that would leave one of us bed-ridden) and I consider it a fair "price" to pay.

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

32" lcd here as well. Considering how little usage it gets (since we have two larger screens elsewhere in the house), it is more than adequate.
              Brad

Comment

• th1ghs
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by joetama
                0.0 Inch....
                You have the same TV as me!

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by joetama
                  0.0 Inch....
                  Is that an LCD or Plasma?

Comment

• H.T.C
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by H.Donald
                    Hmmmm...sounds like I'd better run with the 37 inch before my wife reads this.
                    Remember these three words as they are one of (if not) the most important in home theater ...wife approval factor.
                    Robert

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

WAF where my wife is going to approve what equipment I can or cannot have and where I can put it has never been an issue in 26 years of marriage because from day one, I never let it be. I was a mobile DJ with a large system when we first hooked up 32 years ago so she knew I was into a lot of equipment and huge speakers. In response to the original question, 27" TV in the bedroom.

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

19" in each bedroom and a 27" flat screen in the finished basement.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• greenhorn
                          • Feb 2007

32" LCD with a viewing distance of about 10'. It is mounted slightly higher than natural eye sight line, but then eye sight line in bed varies with pillows and all ops: Have a slight down tilt on the mount.

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Glen B
                            WAF where my wife is going to approve what equipment I can or cannot have and where I can put it has never been an issue in 26 years of marriage because from day one, I never let it be. I was a mobile DJ with a large system when we first hooked up 32 years ago so she knew I was into a lot of equipment and huge speakers. In response to the original question, 27" TV in the bedroom.
                            So she has NO SAY about what or where any A/V gear goes ANYWHERE in the house? That's rather extreme. It's one thing for every single CD/DVD purchase to have be negotiated (the other extreme) but I should think that in rooms with shared occupancy and functionality, a consensus might be arrived at. I thought the days of things like my dad buying a house without consulting my mom (talk about ignoring WAF :E ) were gone. If your statement is literally correct, it would appear I was wrong.

Comment

• joetama
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by H.Donald
                              Is that an LCD or Plasma?
                              OLED... :T
                              -Joe

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

You sure that's not S.E.D. :P

I have a JVC 27" CRT in the bed room and a Samsung 56" 1080P DLP in the HT room.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• maseline_98
                                  • Apr 2005

We have a 32" olevia lcd....

here is an interesting article ....lol :

Everyday Health inspires and empowers people to live their healthiest lives, every day, through trusted, medically reviewed information and expert health advice from the nation's leading healthcare providers and patient advocates. Learn more about health

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                  Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Ian D
                                    • Jun 2005

WAF is not essential but definately the prefered method to buy anything of any value, I once bought a pair of small maggies without WAF and regretted it for two years, every time I wanted new equipment there was problems, When I finally traded them in for a HT set up a new amp, pre amp and DVD player followed very quickly with the wife smiling. Its always best if the wife thinks she's part of the decision IMHO :-)

Cheers Ian
                                    :^x

Comment

• impala454
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2007

32" cheapo symphonic from walmart, was $500 on black friday two years ago . Great PQ for the price IMHO.
                                      -Chuck

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Ha ha.. it's funny. I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD. The WIFE is the one who wanted bigger... 55" or bigger. I didn't buy it cause I just wanted something for now, and at the end of the year buy 60" or bigger. She was the one who DIDN'T want the 32". ha ha
                                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• whoaru99
                                          • Jul 2004

32" Crt
                                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

42" Lcd

Comment

• Glen B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                                              So she has NO SAY about what or where any A/V gear goes ANYWHERE in the house? That's rather extreme. It's one thing for every single CD/DVD purchase to have be negotiated (the other extreme) but I should think that in rooms with shared occupancy and functionality, a consensus might be arrived at. I thought the days of things like my dad buying a house without consulting my mom (talk about ignoring WAF :E ) were gone. If your statement is literally correct, it would appear I was wrong.
                                              I didn't say my wife has no say in where things go. Sure we discuss things and I will ask her opinion when it comes to placement but I don't check with her when I need to upgrade a component nor do I feel the need to get her approval. As an example, when we upgraded to HDTV not too long ago, I asked her opinion about mounting it on the wall versus having it sit on its base. We concurred that it should go on the wall, I bought a mounting kit and put it up.

My original point was, it seems from what many here report, their wives literally dictate to them what they can or can't have and where it should go, like a mother to a little child. "Mommy" says you can't have it and that's final. Some are forced to sneak the equipment in and hide it or try to blend it in so that the wife does not notice. That is something I could never accept. I mean, what makes the attitude of these wives any different from that of your dad ?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

A bedroom TV is important to me and my wife, because I'm a HT junkie, and she has back problems and spends a decent amount of time lying down. But I liked in our last house that we made the system built into the walls, so it was a very clean and hidden look. It's quite distracting when a TV and/or A/V system really clunks up a nice bedroom.

So the last house, we started with a 32" plasma. That just seemed small, so we traded up within return limits for a 42" plasma that was much better. In our current house, I was considering a 50" LCD, but ended up getting a 46" LCD that is quite nice. Works well.
                                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                  I didn't say my wife has no say in where things go. Sure we discuss things and I will ask her opinion when it comes to placement but I don't check with her when I need to upgrade a component nor do I feel the need to get her approval. As an example, when we upgraded to HDTV not too long ago, I asked her opinion about mounting it on the wall versus having it sit on its base. We concurred that it should go on the wall, I bought a mounting kit and put it up.

My original point was, it seems from what many here report, their wives literally dictate to them what they can or can't have and where it should go, like a mother to a little child. "Mommy" says you can't have it and that's final. Some are forced to sneak the equipment in and hide it or try to blend it in so that the wife does not notice. That is something I could never accept. I mean, what makes the attitude of these wives any different from that of your dad ?
                                                  That's fine. My wife defers to me in all matters of gear purchases (we discuss a budget--she does pay for most of it) and I don't have to ask permission to buy DVDs (of course, if 1500 DVDs arrive in giant Amazon box, I may have "some 'splainin' to do" :rofl: ). It just seemed, from your post, that if you decided there was going to be a TV in the bedroom, she would simply just have to live with that whether she liked it or not. Apologies for misinterpreting (and no, I could not live with that kind of attitude for more than a microsecond).

Comment

• cug
                                                    • Jan 2008

I can't believe that you are comparing inches in the bedroom here ... :B

For us: I want something, we talk about it, we go and look at it or listen or test drive or ... and if we both think it's good, than we buy it. TV in the bedroom? Sorry, we don't need a TV in the bedroom, we are still able to talk to each other and have fun otherwise.

Ah, perhaps I should note: we have no TV in the whole apartment. Only a stereo setup in the living room - and listen to a lot of classical music (my wife), Jazz (me), and some other music (both).

We still go to the cinema a lot, normally with a nice dinner in advance, maybe a good glass of wine after.

Comment

• comeup
                                                      • Jul 2005

42" plasma 15 ft. away wife loves it. It was the only way I could get my 50" in the family room, I got kicked out of the bedroom for using the 42 too much, so when I got my 50" there was no problems she was glad I was gone......I love my wife.
                                                      Blake

Comment

• Club1820
                                                        • Jan 2006

20" CRT. Its fine. Bedroom is small.
                                                        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Charles
                                                          • Jul 2006

42" Plasma about 12 ft away.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                            • Aug 2004

Epilogue....last week I purchased a 42 inch LCD.It sits on a Caribbean rum plasma stand,which houses the cable box and other electronics.
                                                            The really cool thing about the tv is,it's on a power swivel...controlled by the remote,it can face a sitting area or the bed.

My wife is happy with the size and look...therefore,all's well that ends well.

Comment

• Lex
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Apr 2001

carribean rum plasma stand? Sounds interesting. Photos?

I have a 32" Sony Plasma, I'm pretty well maxed out at this size for my location.
                                                              Doug
                                                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

32" LCD. I use it like once a month... if that.
                                                                B&W

Comment

• Lex
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Apr 2001

I don't use mine very often at all either, in fact, if I had it to do over again, probably wouldn't even do a bedroom small system, but it's done, so I'll leave it for the occasion I do want it. But 3 of 5 speakers were seconds from main room. TV too was bought originally for great room, but I found I just watched the projectors anyway. Te
                                                                  Doug
                                                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Oct 2005

I've got a 46" Sharp LCD about 12-14 Ft away, wall mounted...
                                                                    Danish

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2004

The Caribbean rum plasma stand....

[IMG]

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2003

It looks nice and is that the color of a rum barrel ?
                                                                        Robert

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006

I got a 47" 1080p Toshiba Regza in th bedroom now. It's pretty damn big. I think you would be safe with a 40-42" no problem. The only reason I got the 47" is it was on sale for 1299.00 (reg. 2199.00) the week of the superbowl. I couldn't pass up a 900.00 off deal. I was originally wanting a 40" Sony xbr4 but it never seems to drop below 2,000.00 even on sale.
                                                                          If you do get your wall mount from partsexpress it will save you quite a bit of coin. Got mine for $59.00 vs. 150-200.00 in store. Link

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2004
                                                                            • 477

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                                                            It looks nice and is that the color of a rum barrel ?
                                                                            Thanks...and I don't know,but no rum came with the purchase...pity.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2004
                                                                              • 477

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                                                                              I got a 47" 1080p Toshiba Regza in th bedroom now. It's pretty damn big. I think you would be safe with a 40-42" no problem. The only reason I got the 47" is it was on sale for 1299.00 (reg. 2199.00) the week of the superbowl. I couldn't pass up a 900.00 off deal. I was originally wanting a 40" Sony xbr4 but it never seems to drop below 2,000.00 even on sale.
                                                                              If you do get your wall mount from partsexpress it will save you quite a bit of coin. Got mine for $59.00 vs. 150-200.00 in store. Link
                                                                              Yes...I must admit,my wife was right...a 47 inch probably would have been over-powering,while the 42 seems perfect.

And Parts Express is a good place to buy parts...

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"