X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

HDMI selector switch

My flat panel only has two HDMI inputs and I need three i just bought a Blu-Ray player and I'm not giving up my Denon 3910 just yet and already I'm tired of switching the cables around would I lose any picture quality by using a switcher? I know you lose quality when using analog connections I don't know about a digital connection any help would be appreciated.
    Blake
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by comeup
    My flat panel only has two HDMI inputs and I need three i just bought a Blu-Ray player and I'm not giving up my Denon 3910 just yet and already I'm tired of switching the cables around would I lose any picture quality by using a switcher? I know you lose quality when using analog connections I don't know about a digital connection any help would be appreciated.

You will not loose any picture quality using a switcher for HDMI.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Nope, no loss of quality. You have to be careful, though, of the TOTAL length of HDMI cable, including through the switcher, and the quality of the switcher. I tried many different HDMI switchers, and found that the signal dropped out on all of them because of signal loss. The only exception was the Parasound Zhd HDMI switcher, which I still use. (with digital it's all or nothing... you'll get color flashes or snow if the signal degrades and drops out) Specifically, I also have a Denon 3910, and Denon players are known to not have as strong an HDMI output as others.

Other people have had good success with switchers from Gefen, Monoprice, etc, though.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
        • Jul 2005

have you heard of Psyclone HDMI switcher at BestBuy for 199.00
        Blake

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Check out the Oppo HM-31 (recently released), which switches 3 HDMI sources and is only $99.

Oppo HM-31
          Brad

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I have the Oppo HM-31. It's an amazing switcher. Never had a problem with the thing and I like the fact that you really don't even need the remote if you set it up properly. It does automatic switching to any input that is active...and if two are active it will switch to the "higher" ranking input (ie switch from input 2 to input 1 if one becomes active).

Highly recommend it!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

Oppo it is the price is right and I trust Oppo didn't know they made one thx fellas for all the help (I love htguide) I made my order a few moments ago.
              Blake

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Sweet... let us know if you have any problems with signal dropout, like with the 3910! How long is your total HDMI cable length, including switchers?
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

Chris,

I will actually keep the 3910 hooked directly to the display with a 8ft cable as is and the switcher with the other 8ft HDMI cable coming from the display with two 4ft HDMI cables going to the Blu-Ray and satellite box from switcher. The two 8ft HDMI cables are already in the wall. I'm taking the 8ft HDMI from the satellite box and using it for the switcher. I will have one HDMI connection left on the switcher.

One hard decision I'm having now is what player should I use with my 5.1 analog inputs on my B&K preamp I like my SACD/DVD AUDIO and heard how good the new sound formats from Blu-Ray are, but for now I'll leave it with the 3910 and keep enjoying multi channel music. I do notice some sound improvements over standard dvd over optical connection or is it in my head? I really haven't had a chance to play with the 5.1 analog on the Blu-Ray yet is it that much more of a improvement over optical or coaxial?
                  Blake

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

My understanding is that use of the optical connection will add another data conversion step, and as such, theoretically adds the opportunity for corruption of the original signal.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Ah, cool, yeah, you shouldn't have any problem with HDMI cables that short!

As for the multichannel analogs, what I chose to do as an expensive cheater, (NOT a cost-effective solution) is buy a new HDMI 1.3 receiver that I use as an outboard decoder for the new high-def sound formats over HDMI. They go from the receiver to my nice HT pre/pro over multichannel analogs. In addition, the receiver I bought has multichannel INPUTS, so I connected my 3910 to those inputs, and now the receiver is both an outboard HDMI decoder AND a multichannel switcher! (just a very expensive one) :roll:
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

Believe me another preamp is in mind, but just had new tile floors installed thx to my son who's foot got stuck on the Mercedes accelerator and it went flying into the garage that took out a 4 by 6 beam, washer, dryer, furnace, water heater, busted pipes, flooding in laundry room, kitchen & nook and of course the totaled Mercedes on Thanksgiving day the good thing is my son came out of it with no bruises thank God. Anyway I don't think my wife is willing right now so trying to think of a cheap way of doing this. I've been looking at the Outlaw just don't have a way of listening to it.
                        Blake

Comment

• comeup
                          • Jul 2005

The Outlaw won't work it has dvi switching I guest its out of the picture I can't think of any other low cost preamp that will work. It might come down to using a receiver as a preamp.

Chris, your hookup is above my knowledge how do you tie in a receiver with your preamp I can afford a Pioneer or Denon with HDMI switching
                          Blake

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I've been thinking about getting the Oppo. I'm not sure though I'm either going to get a used receiver with HDMI switching (1.2 most likely) or probably the Oppo switch.

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

For the $99 for the Oppo and NOT having to switch inputs (as it does it automatically), I think it's WELL worth it.

Only "issue" with it is if you switch from input 2 to 1 automatically (while leaving input 2 on) it takes it about 5 to 10 seconds to switch back to input 2 once you turn 1 off. So not instant, but at least you don't have to manually switch the oppo...unless you want to.

Everything I've thrown at it with HDCP and HDMI 1.3 has passed flawlessly. No hiccups or drop outs or any problems. So unless you need to decode the audio and want a Pre for that...the Oppo is "set it and forget it." :lol:
                              -Dan

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2001

I helped my dad install his Optoma HD70 and the Oppo switcher (all purchased through projectorpeople.com) during the week of Christmas and I am very happy with the quality of the switcher itself. The only other one I'd ever used was a 2 in/1 out unit from Gefen that you had to use the remote for.

I'm still shocked at the quality of picture that you get from a 720P pj on a 92" screen. Especially when you consider he's got less than $1500 in the whole setup (pj, screen, mount, 25' HDMI cable and switcher). And that's before the $200 mail-in rebate on the pj!

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                  So unless you need to decode the audio and want a Pre for that...the Oppo is "set it and forget it." :lol:
                                  Wow, Ron Popeil makes HDMI switchers now?
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

:lol:

I wondered how long it was going to take someone to realize that. :T
                                    -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by comeup
                                      Chris, your hookup is above my knowledge how do you tie in a receiver with your preamp I can afford a Pioneer or Denon with HDMI switching
                                      Sure... what I'm doing is using my Denon receiver pretty much ONLY for the decoding of HDMI audio. So, for example, from my PS3 I have it configure to output all audio and video over one single HDMI 1.3 cable. I run that straight into the Denon HDMI 1.3 input. The Denon decodes the audio in the HDMI signal, and outputs it over multichannel analog connections to my actual HT processor. The HDMI **video** is passed right through the Denon receiver to my video display.

So, for HDMI video, the path is:

PS3 --> receiver --> display

For HDMI audio, the path is:

PS3 --> decoded in HDMI receiver --> output over analog to HT processor --> played through amplifiers on theater speakers.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
                                        • Jul 2005

Chris,
                                        So the Denon has multichannel outputs that goes to the inputs of the HT preamp? then you set the pre to 6 channel input for audio. On the receiver you set it to what ever HDMI connection you want to hear. Never realized that good receivers had Multichannel outputs.

I just received and hooked up the Oppo it works like a charm.

Now I know how to use my multichannel analog input for more than one device great info thank you very much.
                                        Blake

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

You got it!
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"