X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

FCC Finally Does Something?

Well well well. :T The FCC finally made a decision on dates for all televisions sold to have a digital tuner built in. All sets over 36" will have a tuner in them by July 2004, while smaller sets will have another 3 year phase-in period ending July 2007.

Houston Chronicle story

It's a start. Now for some decisions on the more weighty things. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is great!!! But, I was shopping really strong and was planning to purchase by sept. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what the future holds now. I guess my 32" analog will be my friend for a tad long than I had hoped. :?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, I wouldn't count on anthing just yet, from what I read, the appeals are going to happen, and lawsuites. They do make a valid point that it should be our choice as to whether we want to pay for a digital tuner, not the FCC ramming it down our throats when some of us will go directv, or whatever for digital. It will add to the cost of TVs for some people, that just can't afford it.

Besides, get real, it's still only in major markets. I am in the 2nd or 3rd largest city in this state and we haven't seen HD, so where's the mainstream need for a digital tuner?

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• brucek
        HTG Expert
        • Aug 2000

Yep, I agree with you Lex. I would much rather they simply sell me a monitor and I'll add the tuner or DSS receiver or digital cable box externally.

I certainly don't use the analog tuner in my set now, yet I had to pay for it......

brucek

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Some very valid points Lex. However, the industry has already shown that they are only going to do as much as they feel needed, regardless of what the law states. Look where we are today after being told that certain standards had to be made (which have come and past).

I don't see this as being any different from when the FCC cracked down and set the standard for power ratings on amps. As sad as it is, without policing, who knows how long things will drag out. I doubt that the manufactures have our best interest first. If they did, a better system for upgrades would be in place and a lot of people wouldn't be concerned about their equipment becoming obsolete that was suppose to be HD-ready.

I'm all for technology moving forward. however, the rush to beat the next competitor to the market, seems to be the mfg's first priority.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

I think they're punishing the wrong folks. It's the broadcasters and the MPAA that they should jump on. The manufacturers are getting blindsided by this whole fiasco. They put component inputs on their sets and now they may become obsolete because of piracy fears by the MPAA. As Bruce said, I don't need a tuner in my set because I have sat, and many others have cable. I've also paid for a tuner that I don't need/want. I hope they come to bat for the early adopters of HD if/when we get shafted because we don't have digital inputs for HDTV on our sets.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Robbie
              • Aug 2000

OK I'll throw in my .02

I think it's a good thing. I don't think the FCC is punishing anybody, just making manufactures do what they should all ready be doing. Broadcasters already have a date (as fluid as that is) to broadcast digital. They don't want to do it because no one in their area has a digital tuner to watch it. By forcing manuf. to put the tuners in the sets that will 1) bring the cost of the tuners down signifigantly and 2) force the broadcasters to increase their conversion to dig broadcast.

Again my .02

Robbie

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"