• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Attention HTPC/Digital Cable Users!

Just heard this from my bro who works in the industry:

...Also, good news from ATI. They expect to have Roger's and Shaw onboard to support a new DTV & HDTV pci tuner card that will take the place of set-top-boxes and provide PVR cababilities along with PPV and movies on demand and electronic program guide, all on your computer in Scaled HDTV with surround sound!!!!!! Hopefully it won't be too long before it is available...

...The ATI card is expected to be sold as an over-the-air Tuner only at first. Should be on sale in about 2-3 months. The chip onboard (NXT2004) does have full capability to tune 64 or 256 bit QAM which is the format used by digital cable. I believe that the functionality will not be "turned off" , but you still cannot view the material broadcast by the cable companies because it is encrypted. Also the reciever/tuner has to communicate with the head end at the cable company. The only hurdle left is to get the cable providers on-board to create a secure system to provide account control over your programming, PPV, Broadcast Flag implementation etc.... The hardware would have to be distributed and supported by your cable provider most likey, just like a cable box or broadband modem and will most likely cost between $500-$1000. The cable providers are dragging their feet because they are concerned about people being able to copy the high quality digital Broadcasts directly to their computer Hard Drive and redistribute a perfect digital copy. I believe that if they create the hardware and software correctly they should be able to take advantage of the broadcast flag to prevent recording of anything that they deem to need protection. Which probably means most material, but what can you do!!!!?...
    I say cool and about damn time! :banana:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"