X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Rotel's new tuner - the RDG-1520

Here is info on Rotel's new tuner. It's expected to be available in November, maybe late October, and retail for $999.00US.

RDG-1520—A tuner for the 21st Century

RDG stands for Rotel Digital Gateway. The RDG-1520 certainly opens the gate wide for all that streaming media can offer. The receiver’s tuner section includes both terrestrial FM and Internet radio so listening options are virtually limitless! There are presently over 15,000 Internet radio stations listed. In order to help keep your clients favorite stations handy, the RDG-1520 includes 30 possible presets for instantaneous access to both FM and Internet broadcasts. It also includes a USB input for direct digital connection of an iPod (or other USB class 2 devices), bypassing the inexpensive analog output stage in favor of a Wolfson DAC and high-end analog stage.

The RDG-1520 supports UPnP technology. UPnP devices are “plug-and-play” in that when connected to a network they automatically announce their network address and supported device and services types, enabling clients that recognize those types to immediately begin using the device. The RDG-1520 streams music files from a networked PC using Windows Media Player 11 over a wireless or wired Ethernet connection. A USB to Wi-Fi Ethernet dongle is included. Supported codecs include RealAudio®, WMA, MP3, AAC & AAC+ (non DRM), AU, WAV and AIFF. A planned software update will provide support for the Rhapsody and Pandora music services.

The RDG-1520 can be controlled via bi-directional RS-232, as well as discrete IR. Custom integrators will appreciate that the chassis is a standard 2U size that works with Rotel’s RFK rack kits for an easy, clean installation.

You might think the RDG-1520 would be a multi-thousand dollar component, given all that it does and the high-performance design. The few similar units on the market are indeed very expensive. But the RDG-1520 offers the value proposition Rotel is known for, retailing at only $999!
    Sounds pretty cool.

Eric
  • annakova
    • Feb 2009

I agree - it sounds great - clever idea to put the digital streaming in the form of a tuner and combine it with regular radio (but no HD radio?). I assume it will have Rotel quality digital-->analog conversion. Now, if they only included support for the open-source FLAC audio codec, I'd be in heaven, well, at least on my way there....

Anna

Comment

• B&W_Group_Fan
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the preview Eric, and agree that it sounds cool. As with Anna, I am curious on the lack of HD radio as I have a few stations near me that broadcast using it.

Can't wait to check it out.
      HT
      Rotel RSX-1560
      B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
      Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
      Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
      Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
      B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
      URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

The lack of HD radio was a little disappointing I agree. I think the iPod integration is pretty cool though.

Eric

Comment

• annakova
          • Feb 2009

Honestly, though, how often do I listen to HD radio? Almost never. True, its because I don't have a HD tuner, but then again, when I recently bought some 10 series equipment (which I am loving) I didn't feel any need to cough up the extra $500 for the tuner with HD radio.

In part that's because most of my radio listening is now live internet radio streams with a Squeezebox fed into my RC-1082. I've really gotten excited about digital music and have ripped nearly my entire CD collection (1000+) to the lossless FLAC format which I also play through the Squeezebox.

Would I love to feed that Squeezebox into a Rotel digital tuner for a high-quality D/A conversion? Yes!!! (And that price range is about half of what the Squeezebox's big sister the Transporter costs - I haven't coughed up that yet either because I'm not convinced the sound quality is worth the difference in price.)

But, for me to feed my ripped files, the Rotel tuner would need to support the FLAC codec. FLAC is open source, it's stable, it's lossless, it's free - what's not to like, and why wouldn't Rotel want to include it? It can't be too hard to decode .flac files back into the supported .wav format (there is free desktop software that does that already.)

Also, I hope that Rotel's support of the Real Audio codec for files means that their internet radio also supports Real Audio streams, which the SqueezeBox doesn't. A number of stations that I want stream only in the Real Audio format.

So, Rotel, keep us informed, and keep us happy!

Anna

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Isn't disabling UPnP one of the first security fixes for a Windows OS?
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• annakova
              • Feb 2009

No, not any more. Steve Gibson's well-known computer security site (www grc com) used to strongly recommend turning off UPnP because at first there were very few devices that used it and on an unprotected system it allowed anyone from the Internet to connect to your machine. He even offered a free piece of software that turned it off for you (that was 8 years ago; he still does but he allows that today's firewalls and NAT routers do a sufficient job of preventing open access from the internet).

Nowadays, with most home users behind NAT routers and firewalls, UPnP is a godsend in setting up simple home networking connections between devices. It saves people from having to explicitly open ports on routers and devices so they can communicate with each other. The UPnP arrangements do all this behind the scenes. Apple has a very similar piece of software called Bonjour, which does the same thing. As Martha Stewart might say, it's a good thing.

Anna

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Bonjour is a virus. Nastiest , most hard to dispose of crap I've run across. I love Gibson's website and apps. I score a "Perfect Stealth" rating every time I visit. I'll stick with manual setups. Windows bad rap comes from people unwilling to do a little work-I'll do the work. Haven't had a bug in years , and I visit some nasty sites.
                As for the original subject matter , is HD that big a deal? We're talking radio here. Most (not all) radio is lousy format stuff. I just can't afford the equipment for decent quality "radio" broadcasts. Sound cards , etc.. For that kind of money I'll go to Magnum Dynalab and a decent antenna. My $.02
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Well, the RDG-1520 looked promising until the "using Windows Media Player 11 " bit. Suddenly its off my list.

As for Bonjour, one can call it a lot of things, but "Nastiest , most hard to dispose of crap I've run across" does not immediately spring to mind. Care to provide some links to back that up, or is it just your opinion?
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Mikael
                    • Aug 2007

It sounds nice,but what about the specs of the European version of it, and pictures?

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                      Well, the RDG-1520 looked promising until the "using Windows Media Player 11 " bit. Suddenly its off my list.

As for Bonjour, one can call it a lot of things, but "Nastiest , most hard to dispose of crap I've run across" does not immediately spring to mind. Care to provide some links to back that up, or is it just your opinion?

Links? No , just my personal experience trying to dispose of it. It buries itself in the registry (multiple locations) and refuses to leave. I'm no Bill Gates , so I'm sure I've missed some obvious solutions , but it has done nothing positive for me and takes up HDD space with no apparent benefit. AOL was easier to dispose of , for me. As well as Norton , McAfee and CWS. Paretal Logic comes close.
                      I used to love FM broadcasts , way back when my (then) Tandberg tuner was good stuff. So many stations are junk now , I just use whatever decent digital tuner I have. Currently a NAD 4150 as my Marantz seems to have kicked the (right channel) bucket.
                      Since HD does not indicate 'high definition' in the radio broadcast spectrum , and most of the radio I listen to comes from over-powered digital hash signals , radio is a secondary source for me.
                      As for MP 11 , GGGGAAAACCKKK!
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• annakova
                        • Feb 2009

It will be very interesting to see how Rotel handles the streaming. It is a complicated thing that can open into a seemingly endless universe of software and hardware. Either Rotel writes its own server software to run on customers' computers, like Logitech does with its Squeezecenter software or Linn does with its streaming systems (see www linn co uk/ds_software for a list of all they have gotten involved with), or it uses a widely available, pre-existing program.

I don't think Rotel wants to get involved in supporting user software - it is a headache with so many equipment versions and variations out there. Take a look at the Logitech discussion forums to get an idea of how quickly user demands for functionality multiply and how divergent they are. To their credit though, their attention to input from the open source community has resulted in a highly effective user interface, and it would be great to have this kind of control over how music is selected and fed into the Rotel device.

Linn has gone in a different direction - UPnP-based completely open distributed systems, where anyone's control device can access stored music files on any storage device to stream them to a Linn player. Look at the Linn discussion forums to see how complicated that is.

Again, I don't think Rotel wants to get involved in writing or supporting control software like that. If they are able to offload that burden onto the user's own resources and simply proved a streaming endpoint of some kind, that would make their life easier.

That means somehow the use of an existing program. If not Windows Media Player, then what? AOL's Winamp? Apple's iTunes? dbpoweramp's Asset UPnP server? What would you want to recommend to less technical readers?

Just some thoughts....

(by the way, I share your impression of Bonjour - it got loaded onto my system when I tried out iTunes to see what it was, and it was really hard to get rid of.)

Anna

Comment

• TommyV
                          • Feb 2007

Sounds cool but I already have a HTPC and would prefer a nice FM/HD radio only version for less $$. Maybe they will release one.

Comment

• Industrial
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by TommyV
                            Sounds cool but I already have a HTPC and would prefer a nice FM/HD radio only version for less $$. Maybe they will release one.
                            I was waiting for this tuner but gave up and built a HTPC as well. Even blends in with my 15 series rotel gear. Similar face plate and power button. Does everything I need.

Comment

• annakova
                              • Feb 2009

I'd be interested to hear from you who have home theater PCs how you get your music from the disk file to the pre-amp or amp that drives your speakers. Do you run a standard media player that picks the file off a hard drive or NAS (itunes? Windows media player?), use some custom server software or other arrangement or what. Use a Ethernet, usb or wireless to some receiving device or a DAC? Have a separate remote that controls the PC from the couch? Just curious. Thanks.

Anna

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by annakova
                                It will be very interesting to see how Rotel handles the streaming. It is a complicated thing that can open into a seemingly endless universe of software and hardware. Either Rotel writes its own server software to run on customers' computers, like Logitech does with its Squeezecenter software or Linn does with its streaming systems (see www linn co uk/ds_software for a list of all they have gotten involved with), or it uses a widely available, pre-existing program.
                                Well, it says above they're going to use Windows Media Player 11, which is a real shame. Sqeezeecenter is open source, as is UPnP, they're functional because users demand functions, and programmers are keen to comply.

If your concern is that Rotel doesn't want to support demanding users, you need to worry with Microsoft taking care of the back end.

Rotel won't be selling any of these units to Mac owners either, because Microsoft wont support them.

If this is true, its a pity. Rotel should have used an existing open source music server project, and not done a deal with MS, who probably even paid Rotel for an exclusive deal as they want world domination for their Media Player 11 software.
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Industrial
                                  • Mar 2009

I'd be interested to hear from you who have home theater PCs how you get your music from the disk file to the pre-amp or amp that drives your speakers. Do you run a standard media player that picks the file off a hard drive or NAS (itunes? Windows media player?), use some custom server software or other arrangement or what. Use a Ethernet, usb or wireless to some receiving device or a DAC? Have a separate remote that controls the PC from the couch? Just curious. Thanks.

Anna
                                  I have my HTPC connected into a Benchmark USB DAC1. But it's also connected to my preamp via HDMI to use with surround sound. It also has optical out wich I could of used if my DAC didn't have USB out. It also remote controlable but I find it awkyard so I just use a wireless keyboard from the couch using FOOBAR2k to play the files. Also if I don't want to have my tv on I also have a squeezebox classic in my system which can play audio files off Any computer in my network. I control it via the iPhone app Ipeng which is really nice to use.

Comment

• mattburk
                                    • Feb 2003

HD would be nice. It is big in many cities.
                                    www.mycstone.com
                                    www.coverednow.com
                                    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• TommyV
                                      • Feb 2007

Anna
                                      I use Toslink to my pre/pro. I can use the Media Center interface which is nice or any app I want. Stream music or anything. If I use the Media Center I can control everything from my harmony remote. I also have a wireless keyboard if I feel like running Sirius in HQ 128kbps or any other stuff. It is a wonderful machine with the potential to do just about anything I want. Just depends how you want to set it up.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Anna
                                        I have a mac mini hooked up to a Classe SSp 600 via an optical cable. All my music files are Apple Lossless. If I want to control it form my couch I use Apple TV which is connected by optical as well. Mostly I just start a play list form the comp and dont need a remote for music since the comp is in the same room we listen to music.

I often wonder why there is so much discussion on music servers etc when such a simply inexpensive solution exists in Mac products.

Comment

• mjb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nolan B
                                          I often wonder why there is so much discussion on music servers etc when such a simply inexpensive solution exists in Mac products.
                                          hear hear! And you can use an iPhone or touch as a remote control.
                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• TommyV
                                            • Feb 2007

Well my HTPC does so much more than just be a "Music Server". Plus I do not like Mac products. If all you want is music get a slingbox.

Comment

• Industrial
                                              • Mar 2009

Well my HTPC does so much more than just be a "Music Server". Plus I do not like Mac products. If all you want is music get a slingbox.
                                              Did you mean Squeezebox?

Comment

• TommyV
                                                • Feb 2007

Yes! The Logitech thing.

Comment

• Industrial
                                                  • Mar 2009

Yes! The Logitech thing.
                                                  They Are really nice and can stream internet radio.

Comment

• B&W_Group_Fan
                                                    • Sep 2008

The official press release is out for this (.doc file):

As is a high res picture:

HT
                                                    Rotel RSX-1560
                                                    B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
                                                    Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
                                                    Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
                                                    Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
                                                    B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
                                                    URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"