X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What's your favorite movie?

Simple question...what would you consider your all time favorite movie(s). By that I mean which one(s) do you most enjoy watching? I say ones becasue it could depend on your mood with maybe your favorite drama and another being comedy etc.

I'd have to say that its either Jurassic Park, Twister or Contact for me...twister is what got me into surround sound and I love the dialog, JP is a really cool movie about dino's and has a message and contact is an interesting look at one of humans oldest questions

• SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Simple question/difficult answer.

Can I give you a list of 50 or so?
    There is no way I could narrow it down any less than that.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

I agree with Sili, hate to just mention one. After giving it some thought it became obvious that it had to be the movie that I have seen the most times going all the way back to my childhood. Also, it is the only movie that I have owned as a 16mm print, as a VHS cassette, as a Laser Disc, and as soon as it came out as a DVD. No, it's not Star Wars. The movie is The Maltese Falcon.
      I think that is why I love David Mamet films so much. The characters and dialog in his movies remind me of the Maltese Falcon. I wish Mamet would write the sequel. After all the falcon was never found and could pop up anywhere in this time period still being pursued by a new gallery of theives and con men in any country under any circumstances that the writer can imagine.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Yeah, really difficult to narrow it down to one, but if I was asked which movie I have played the most ( first on VHS tape, then laserdisc and finally dvd) it would have to be SHANE. When I first got it on tape back in the eighties, I played it 3 or 4 times a year, and now I play it at least once a year. I know it's silly, but I find myself watching it and mouthing the dialog along with the actors.

As for other favorites, boy the list would be long. But I find myself going back to Jurassic Park, Speed, U571, High Noon, 7 Days 7 Nights ( Harrison Ford slays me in this film), Alien, Goldeneye, and the list goes on....

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Andrew, that's a tought one. Goose, your 50 is about right! Lessee, just off the top of my head:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

But that'll change based on my mood. Others that top my list are:

Rio Bravo, Outlaw Josey Wales, Silverado, Tombstone, The Magnificent Seven, Black Hawk Down, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, T2, Forbidden Planet, The Thing (original), Contact, 2001, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, The Quiet Man, While You Were Sleeping, American Presidents, Dave, The Mask, Big, Beetlejuice, Forrest Gump, The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, Seven, Speed, Air Force One, To Kill A Mockingbird, Ice Station Zebra, Zorro The Gay Blade, The Africa Queen, Casablanca, The Usual Suspects, Real Genius and more. . .

What's that - 40 or so? Andrew, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. That's really how I feel about movies. There are so many that make me think or laugh, cry, yell, scream, or feel good that it's tough to narrow it down to just 1 or so. I guess that's why I took to DVD's so strongly. They give me the ability to enjoy so many of my favorite movies.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Back To The Future

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
            My HT Site

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

KOYAANISQATSI

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I would have to say "Addicted to Love", my favorte romantic comedy, True Lies, my favorite action adventure, a tie between 5th Element and Matrix for Sci-fi, and First Knight, my favorite drama/love story with Shakespeare in Love, the second place.

I can 't just say one movie, as there's different moods/times. But if I had to, I couldn't do without Addicted to Love. Meg Ryan is just awesome in that flick.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Greg Stone
                  • Aug 2000

One? Nope, can't get that narrow, I really love:
                  Scarface
                  To Live and Die in LA
                  Tombstone
                  BTTF
                  Star Wars

I'll stop there!

Greg's DVD's

Comment

• Bob Santos
                    • Mar 2001

There are ofcourse many movies I consider my favorites, but if I had to pick just one I would have to say Braveheart.

Some other favorites would be.
                    Star Wars
                    Aliens
                    Bronx Tale
                    Dark City
                    Dances with Wolves
                    Jurassic Park
                    I could keep going. I'll stop there though

Comment

• KS
                      • Jun 2002

I've watched this thread with interest trying to figure out an answer. I think I would have to go back to the movies that started my obsession with theater. How The West Was Won was my first trip to a theater. My parents made us dress up and we went to the Music Hall Cinerama theater in Detroit. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and didn't sleep much that night. That memory has to make that number one. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington had a huge impact and I still watch it often. I have great respect for Saving Private Ryan as two of my uncles died on D-day and somehow the movie introduces me to family I never met. Star Wars because I sat with my young son and watched him in total awe of the big screen. There are many movies that I enjoy watching and others like these that hold a piece of my life. My collection of movies is a combination of joys, sorrows, and pure enjoyment. So no I can't say there is one favorite, just a collection of "friends". Sorry if this a little over the top, it's just what it is. At least now I know why I'm so involved with this hobby!

Ken

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Excellent post, Ken.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                          • Aug 2001

Se7en. I also love to show it to folks for the first time in my appropriately dark room.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

Speaking of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark", (which is certainly one of my favorite movies but hard to give a ranking), at about a quarter to one this morning (IOW after midnight) I was looking for movie times for possible shows for a forecasted hot and humid, ozone alert stay-indoors Houston summer Sunday afternoon. And by absolute dumb luck discovered that the Landmark River Oaks theater (sort of an "art house", not a typical cineplex) was having a special morning showing of "Raiders" today (Sunday) -- at a time earlier than I usually even get up on Sundays :>) -- but I had never seen "Raiders" in a commercial theater and made the effort -- along with only about 40 other people -- and had a great time.

I sure hope they don't copy the DVD off the print we watched today, because it had a lot of scratches, nicks and dirt on the film element and the colors were washed out in a lot of scenes... and in many scenes the image was about as soft as a laser disc (I know because I have a laser disc copy of this movie -- however this was an actual film presentaion, not a laser disc showing, because they bobbled the reel change a couple of times and that doesn't occur on LD). :>)

However, it was a thrill to see it on the big screen (I've never watched it at home since getting my front projector so the impact of "big screen" experience wasn't diluted by that), and a a lot of fun to hear the audience reactions to some of the "comic relief" lines that Spielberg so skilfully intertwines with the suspense and action (especially some high school and college age folks in the row behind me who were with their parents and who had never seen the film before).

Now what are my favorite movies of all time?

First is one I don't even own a copy of: a home movie my cousin made (on video tape) that has footage of my father at a family event less than a year before he died. It is the only video we have of him. (I didn't own a video camera myself until the year after.) I wish we had more. It would mean more to me than any of the 1000 + commercial movies I own copies of. (Needless to say, I've made sure that I have a lot of footage of other family members now.)

From the commercial movie bin, a few titles come to mind:

Lawrence OF Arabia,
                            2001: A Space Odyssey,
                            Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,
                            Aliens,
                            Mississippi Burning,
                            Victor/Victoria,
                            The Godfather,
                            Alexander Nevsky,
                            A Man For All Seasons,
                            Porky's II,
                            The Fifth Element,
                            The Matrix,
                            Casablanca,
                            Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Rings (the only one on the list I do not own a copy of -- yet) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

River Oaks did what?! 8O

Burke, that's too cool! Wish I'd caught the ad for this. Oh well. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"