What's the oldest piece of gear in your HT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

What's the oldest piece of gear in your HT?

With all the upgraditis that goes on with this obsession, er, hobby of ours, it would be interesting to see what the oldest piece of gear is that's still actively used in your home theaters. Also, are you planning to upgrade it soon, and why or why not?

For me, it's my trusty Pioneer CLD-S201 laserdisc player. It's almost 9 years old and still going strong. Well, the front panel display has gotten dim, but it still plays them silver platters real dern good! :B Just watched The Empire Strikes Back, THX last weekend on it. Yummy!

I'm not currently planning on upgrading it, since it works fine for me, and I don't watch a lot of LDs these days anyway. Of course, if a great deal pops up I might pick up a spare, since LD players are getting harder to find, or if it breaks down I'll get another one. Or I could pick up another 201 on ebay for parts.

2nd oldest pieces are my speakers, but I've had them less than 3 years.

So, what relics lurk in your home theaters?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

in terms of age my speakers are easily the oldest items I'm still using given some of them were made in the 80's. As far as lenght of time in my HT one of my HK amps is likely the oldest I think though the pronto would be close.

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Oldest HT gear would be my Energy C-2's...going on a whopping 3 1/2 years in my system...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Oldest? I'd say that's a toss up between my ears and my eyes.

Seriously, it would have to be my TV. Going on 11+ years now. Yeah, I'm due for a new set, maybe sooner than I thought. I've got an old Pioneer LD player as well, but that doesn't get much use at all.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

That'd be my turntable. It's an old (7+ years) Technics POS that just won't die.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SamS
            • May 2002

Upgrade-itis hits me very hard. My oldest piece is my Sony MD deck. It's maybe 2 1/2 years old. If I actually used it on a regular basis, I'm sure the terrible ugrade monster would have forced me to replace it a while back.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Ahhhh let's see..........

Each of my two IB subs is driven by a pro sound amp (Intersound SP-300) that Jon designed and I built in the early 1980's

Next to that is my Denon DP-2000 turntable with a Linn Ittok-LV-II tonearm. Now that I think about it that may just date from the late 1970's. 8O

This isn't mine, mine's on the TT...

Some 'new comers' are a couple of Marchand XM9 active XO's that date from the early 1990's........

I like to get my money's worth

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yeah I guess my Dual 1225 TT would be older as well but I rarely use it these days.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Hmmmm.... somehow I knew this would make it from TTP to here.

Toss up because I've loss those brain cells, but it's between my Sony LD player and the Adcom ACE-515 (AC Enhancer). Both are about 10 or so years old. My Sony VCR is right behing those and it's been eating tapes lately. Of course I haven't used it in ages so I guess it serves me right.

I just recently sold my NAD amps that I purchased in 1984. What good amps they were too.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• SiliGoose
                    • Aug 2000

A crappy Kenwood (blech!) 6+1-disc CD changer (the cartridge type).

Looks awful and needs to be badly replaced by a 5-disc SACD player! :twisted:

-Sili
                    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Hmmmmm!!! Let's see, my RCA 5 disk CD player's about 3 1/2 years old. But wait a minute! I have an old pair of JBLs sitting downstairs built maybe in the early 80s. I think the paper cone drivers maybe dry rotten by now. I'll drop a Reggae disk in and see how they hold up ;b>'>

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                      CLIVE

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Clive, I think that was in your HT, not in your basement. for me, it would be the piece that truly started this madness, a simple vcr upgrade, lol. its a Sony hi-fi unit, a decent VCR, but sees little action now. After that, it's my display, Pro-119 Elite. Actually, I waited only a month or so after upgrading my vcr before getting the Elite. From there, it was a downward spiral, lol.

But if you want to talk about basement, 1 system goes back to 1974! Details in another thread, another time...

Lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

I have a Revox reel-to-reel tape deck (accepts 10 1/2 " reels) which dates from 1971. I also have a Dual turntable that dates from 1967. The tape deck still works; the turntable doesn't (which is why I have a Rega Planar 3, which is now almost three years old).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Lex
                            Clive, I think that was in your HT, not in your basement.

But if you want to talk about basement, 1 system goes back to 1974! Details in another thread, another time.............
                            ;zx

Well, well then, I am sorry Lex but my son has them hooked up to the "speaker B" of my system but hardly used them because the Onkyo has a 5 speaker stereo mode which we'd use instead or just the 2 speaker stereo mode. I did understand this thread.

CHEERS MATE!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

The oldest piece of gear is my Technics SL 1500 direct drive turntable. I have had this since the early seventies and it still works like a charm.

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                                • Aug 2000

Sili, I think I have the same Kenwood CD changer as you do. It also is my oldest. I only use it when we want background music when friends or family are over.

Comment

• Chip
                                  • Aug 2001

Oldest piece...

Sony 9K - Dec '00

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
                                  Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Kevin P
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chip
                                    Oldest piece...

Sony 9K - Dec '00
                                    My Sony 9K is the same age and is among the newest pieces in my system! Freaky...

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                    My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Oops Clive, my bad. Sorry bout that! Pretty good comeback. ouch. lol.

Turned into an interesting thread Kevin, good job.

Lex
                                      Doug
                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                        Former Moderator
                                        • Jan 2002

It's all good mate.....next time :^x

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"