What's the oldest piece of gear NOT in your HT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

What's the oldest piece of gear NOT in your HT?

To go along with the oldest piece of gear in your HT, how about ancient gear you don't use anymore, or at least don't use on a regular basis?

In terms of actual age, my oldest stuff I have kicking around are an old pair of Cerwin Vega speakers I bought from a friend in 1987. These beasts weigh 60+ pounds each, and I think were manufactured around 1981 or so. I replaced the woofers in them a few years ago as the foam surrounds were rotting, but they still sound good, and I use them for pool parties.

The oldest piece of gear I bought new is a Technics SL-XP7 portable CD player, manufactured December 1985, and I bought in February 1986. It was my first CD player, and the world's smallest at the time it first came out. I also had a bulky battery pack for it. I still have it, it's in a box in the attic, and with some prodding I can get it to work.

I also have a JVC dual cassette deck from 1987 that still works, but isn't hooked up.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I really don't have anything kicking around that isn't in use either in my HT or my separate music system. I had a Sansui amp and later a Technics Pro Logic receiver but sold these long ago.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Last week it would have been an old Pioneer CT-F750 cassette deck at a little over 20 years old. It was in good working condition, but I hadn't used it in 7-8 years, so I donated it to Goodwill this weekend. That was the last piece of old un-used equipment I had.

New un-used? A pair of AudioQuest Caldera 6 foot speaker cables for a some-day-to-be tube system.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

My 16mm projector. Can't even put a date on it. It was used when my dad first brought it home from the studios. Think that that was in the 50's but could have been in the early 60's.
        Along with it I still have the speakers he made to go along with our garage theater back in the 50's and the pre-pro and record player that he built and used. Think they were from Heathkit.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

David, you sure that isn't bailing wire, and not speaker cables? lol. JK.

Well for me, it's actually an entire system! Check this out:Mostly vintage 73-74

All components stainless front:

Pioneer Integrated Amplifier with side terminals
          Onkyo Tuner Quartz Lock
          Panasonic Technics Cassett Deck with large VU meters
          Technics Turntable, (not as old), kick me now, for selling my old Dual
          Paradox Rhino Mark IV speakers (need refurb)
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lexicat
            you sure that isn't bailing wire

Ouch! :f>'>

Actually, I purchased the Caldera's before I returned to the loving arms of HTGuide.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

LOL David. Hey, if it wasn't for CAT, I would still be using AQ wire. You know, I was trying to do a colon and starting the word most above, and it turned into :M lol.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

My dad has my old Thorens Jubilee turntable. It has to be the oldest piece that not in my system anymore. What a fine piece it was when I was into the vinyl scene.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

I have an old tube radio in a nicely curved wooden case, a family hand-me-down, er hierloom, :>) that dates from the early 1940's. Since it has a headphone jack -- at least I THINK that is what that is :>) (NOT a "miniplug" either) :>) that could possibly be used as an output to the HT system, it is technically a "piece of gear", but since it is NOT connected (not even in the same room) , it is NOT in my HT.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chip
                    • Aug 2001

Pioneer SX-780 stereo receiver (circa 1973) used to be in my bedroom when i was 21 or so.. Also, a Pioneer 6 disc magazine changer from 1985. I think it's a PDM-510? Both pieces are in the gagrage now.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
                    Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"