X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Poll, what is your oldest piece

What is your oldest piece of equipment in either your 2 channel setup, or main home theater. We won't count secondary HTs, as we know everyone moves stuff in there when they replace stuff.

Next, is this something you want to upgrade? If so, when and what?

I will start by saying my VCR is my oldest piece of gear. Dates back to the start of all this madness. I think back to like 1993-4. No, I don't plan to replace it any time soon. VHS has become somewhat of a dinasaur for me. Only would watch home movies that are on VHS-C, and those are aging fast. Fact is, I didn't get enough video of my daughter growing up, something I will regret someday I am sure.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

I'd have to say my suurround speakers..Infinity QPS1's. I ordered a set PSB Image 10S bipoles to replace them. This i'll make my new speakers completely new all the way around. Silveri's & C6i across the front. SVS 20-39PC pull'n up the bottom end.. Course, lol, my digital cable (Monster M100) from my dvd player is just as old however, that'll be a BlackCat varient very soon

- Chip

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Oldest is a tie between the Mits 27" TV, a pair of Energy Point 1e that are being used for rear surrounds, and a Pioneer LD player. All are just past their 10yr anniversary.

The LD player won't be upgraded, although I always hear people getting some good deals on some AC3 or DTS LD player, I've only got a couple of LD's that I don't have on DVD.

The TV is really the next component that needs an upgrade. However, I think I'm going to wait till I can really afford what I really want. Can't comprimise on the video here.

So the most likely candidate is my rear surrounds. I could easily buy another set of Energy eXL16's and I'll have a matching set all arounds. But I've always been toying with the idea of going with some PSB Image 4T's for the front's and the 8c for the centre and some 1B's for the rear. In other words replace all my speakers. But I don't think it would go over very well on the home front.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

My TV. 25" Zenith which if everything works out will be replaced by a 40 (or so) WS hopefully this Fall. Bought in 88 or 89 can't remember exactly. Still has a great picture almost can't see replacing it. made when Zenith was something.

Followed by my mains (Polk/91) and VCR (Hitachi/93) Have toyed with the idea of replacing the mains as they are getting a little old but it's not high on my list.

Robbie

Comment

• John Kotches
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I have a Bryston 4B that's so old, it's out of warranty. It has been "demoted" to subwoofer duty and now drives a SV Subwoofers CS Ultra -- and doing a splendid job of it.

Following behind that are the Acoustat Spectra 22s, pulling down surround duties after ~11years as my mains.

Regards,

---
          Editor, PC/Home Theater
          Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
          My Home Theater
          NEC LT-150 specific page.
          ---
          Editor, PC/Home Theater
          Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
          My Home Theater
          NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

My oldest peice of equipment currently in my set-up would have to be the Servo-15 I use on the left side..Everything else has since been replaced or new additions have been incorperated.

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• JohanK
              • Aug 2000

Polk RTA-8TL speaks...vintage 1992 or so. I also use a Velodyne F1500 from 1992. I'm currently putting things together for a budget 2 channel setup...speaks will be Polk Monitor 7Cs...vintage about 1990.

I will not replace the 8TLs unless I find a good deal on some 11TLs, 15TLs or SDA-SRS 2.3TLs.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

hmm well my SMGa rear speakers are more then a few years old and I'm not sure how old my "new to me" Musical Fidelity amp is but those are the two oldest items in my rack...and no neither are on the need to upgrade list...in fact the MF amp is only a few weeks old for me :0

Comment

• Susan
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

well..mine sounds totally ancient in comparison..but my 2-channel Tannoy Arden dual-concentrics are definitely my oldest..bought 'em Sept 11, 1977...and still going strong..
                  Susan

...bad pic from Tannoy site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

The oldest piece of equipment in my HT is me. Just kidding. I am still using a Pioneer DVL 700 ld/dvd combi player. But just for laserdiscs now.I already upgraded this when I bought the Sony 7700 dvd player. I do have an ancient vcr, but that's in another room.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

In two channel system,
                      Denon Tuner, ca. 1988.

In video gear, Toshiba S-VHS VCR, ca. 1989.

Bedroom system, Denon POA-4400 monoblock amplifiers, 150W, no global feedback, ca. 1988, plus Denon preamp, ca. 1998.

To upgrade? Need new projector. Also planning upgrade on upper range amp in main audio system. Also planning isolation amplifier for HT audio. Also building a new sub- the proto for the AS-15 project (Aerial Stryke) was completed, and initial testing and calibration was successful. It's big. It's bad. It's at ThomasW's, and I can't say more, yet.

-Jon

Earth First!
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• psklenar
                        • May 2001

Pioneer CLD-3080 laserdisc player, purchased in Auust of 1986. It's survived three moves and never even hiccupped!

pat----

email: :<a href="mailtoat@sklenar.info">pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair
                        pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

Comment

• Westly197
                          • Aug 2000

It would be my VCR. It's a Panasonic HiFi that I'm guessing is about 4 years old.

- Wes

My Home Theater
                          - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

• Westly197
                            • Aug 2000

It would be my VCR. It's a Panasonic HiFi that I'm guessing is about 4 years old. I'd say it has less then 30 hours total use on it. Since I got a Dishplayer (Hard Disk Recorder / Sat. Receiver) and a DVD player I rarely use it. I remember being upset I had to buy it when the last one died.

- Wes

My Home Theater
                            - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

• Eric S
                              • Sep 2000

My oldest piece is a 1988 or 1989 vintage Fisher integrated amp. Its from thier highly accliamed :W "Studio Design" series. Its a stereo amp that pushes about 60wpc into 8 ohms and is currently serving sub duty for my DIY Mass 2012 based subwoofer. It does an ok job, but I remember when I bought it that I was not impressed by its bass capabilities. One day I'll replace it with a pro amp for dedicated sub duty.
                              My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• KennyG
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2000

Susan whose old Tannoy's are still good speakers. Realizing they're almost 25 yrs old makes me think there's hope my speakers can last as long!

My oldest piece of gear is the crappy little infinity's I'm using as surrounds, next would be my Cd transport which is a pioneer PD-65 platter.
                                The infinity's are on the upgrade list...the PD-65 is not.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

I now have to edit my previous post b/c my "new" Dual turn table arrived. I think this thing was built around 1978...got to love classics

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2000

Isn't that kind of personal?

I have some really old Fisher speakers (paper cone woofers). I have a tape deck and record player that I bought in 1984. They both still work, but don't sound so good. I have a LD player from 1990, and my old receiver is from 1987.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
                                    PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Susan
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

Come to think of it, the Tannoys are NOT the oldest copnent I am using..I have a set of 4 Dynaco speakers with Quadaptor that I now use in my retail store..I think they date back to '70..and my Dual 1218 also is from '70...AND I'm still using 2 '70 Dynaco 120 amps (one in the shop, and one in a formal-area stereo) and a '76 Dynaco 150 amp for my surrounds.

So these things do tend to stick around a while!I use 'em till they die...
                                      SS

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2000

In use would be my Bryston amp (1985)

Collecting dust, a Panasonic 8 track tape recorder (1970s).

Bing
                                        Bing

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
                                          • Aug 2000

In the main room there's nothing older than 5 or 6 years, but.....

in the nursury/playroom we picked up a used Quasar VCR (VHS) that's so hard to use it might be childproof. It's so old the buttons to control the player are mechanical!

Ken
                                          Ken

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Dynaco speakers. Man, does that bring back warm memories. I bought a pair ( I believe ) back in the sixties sometime. The kids blew one of them while my wife and I were in the Bahamas and they fixed it with a new tweeter thinking I wouldn't notice.I did and there was hell to pay.One of the boys inherited the mismatched Dynacos.They were a great little speak for the money.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Susan
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

George said:
                                              "Dynaco speakers. Man, does that bring back warm memories."
                                              and they still sound incredibly sweet...I recently had to replace the crumbing rubber surrounds on my Tannoys and becasme fearful that the much-older Dynaco's must have vaporized, but when I pulled them down and took a look they have a metal surround and may last well into the next millenium (g)...they still have a good, mid-range sound...
                                              Susan
                                              who never thows out ANYTHING electronic (well-made) and still uses the Sunbeam classic toaster her Mom and Dad were given at their '48 wedding, not to mention her Grandmother's 1931 waffle iron...

Comment

• Dave Rubin
                                                • Aug 2000

Well, I still have my Sony Reel-to-Reel Tape Deck from 1968. I was 12 at the time.....mowing lawns and shining shoes to buy that puppy. Haven't played anything on it for several years, but it still works, and I still have tapes!

Comment

• MRWILLL
                                                  • Aug 2000

Mine is a Pioneer PDM-700 5-disc CD changer from 91`.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                                                  DVD...Hear it from the people who
                                                  mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
                                                  STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                                                  DVD...Hear it from the people who
                                                  mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                    • Aug 2000

Oldest active HT piece: Pioneer CLD-S201 laserdisc player, circa 1993.

Oldest piece in HT system but isn't really there for HT purposes: JVC dual cassette deck (TD-W60), circa 1987. I almost never use it now, and I may pull it out of the rack.

Oldest pieces overall: Cerwin Vega speakers, 3-way w/12" woofers, mfgd. approx. 1981. I bought them from a friend in 1987, replaced the woofers in them a couple years ago and I still use them for pool parties and such. I also used them for a wedding reception (I got to be a DJ for a day ) and found out how difficult it is to lug 60 pound speakers around, and that they don't fit very well in a Saturn sedan.

Another old piece, not HT related, is a Lafayette mixer I bought used. I used it at the reception as well. I don't know how old it is, but it looks like something from the '70s. Still works great though.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                                    My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"