X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

Help me choose a Prepro...EAD, Aragon, Acurus and others

I posted this over at AVS as well. I did not know whether to post this in Audio or HT so I'll try here.

I have recently sold my Lexicon DC-1. I tried the HK AVR-8000 and while I liked it it just didn't cut it for me. So now I am looking for a used prepro in the $1200-$1500 range. With this unit I am going to be using it for music and HT about 50/50. It will also have to perform as my DAC for now. I do not want to lock myself into a non-upgradeable unit for reasons you will see in my selections. Two of my selections mean going ahead and putting all my money in the unit now and saving for an upgrade to get them up to date later. One selection would mean I could get everything now. I have narrowed it down to 3 I am really looking hard at right now:

EAD Encore/Ovation 5.1
    Pros-Great DACS for music, DD, DTS, Upgradeable to 7.1
    Cons-No DPLII or Logic 7(This would be a plus because we use it for alot of DSS programming), Older DACs, Upgrades are expensive

The EAD would be my first choice for music. I have owned a DSP 7000 and I loved it. I just wonder how well I could get by with old DPL coming from Logic 7.

Aragon Soundstage
    Pros-Great preamp section, DD, DTS, Upgradeable to 7.1 (not as expensive)
    Cons-No DPLII or Logic 7, DACs are not as good as EAD, Have to upgrade by June

The Aragon is very interesting and would split middle ground with me between the EAD and the unit below. The upgrade would be less expensive and give me most everything I need for HT and music.

Acurus ACT-3
    Pros-Inexpensive upgrades, Full blown 7.1 processing with DPLII, Most everything I want now
    Cons-Not the same quality as the 2 above, DACs are not as good as the EAD, Preamp section not as good as the Aragon

The Act-3 is a pacifier in a way. I have owned one before and I liked the sound but hated the flexibility. If I purchase it I would immediately send to Aragon for the upgrade and have my cake and eat it too but I wonder if I would be satisfied in the long run.

As you can see, I am trying to decide whether I want to compromise a few features now for top notch processing and performance in the long run or should I not worry about it and get everything now at a little lower quality. I really wish I knew how good the Act-3 upgrade is going to be. Thanks for the input.

Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"