Advice for buying used gear (non-locally)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Advice for buying used gear (non-locally)

I'm looking for a integrated amplifier to replace the receiver I'm currently using to drive my speakers. I realize that with the budget I've set for myself ($2,000), I could get a far better sounding used product than I could if I spent the money on something new.

The main reason I've held back from buying anything used is because you can't demo before you buy. Also, I'm from Montreal and the local market for used equipment is both expensive and limited in terms of what's available, anything I do buy is likely to come from Audiogon.

How do you guys work around this drawback?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

The biggest problem is auditioning. The bright side is that as long as buy high quality equipment and be patient enough to wait for a good price, you can always sell the piece again without losing much money.
    Danish

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

Audiogon - Videogon

I used Audiogon - Videogon when I bought my Anthem Pre-Amp and Amp. I scoured it for ads that were semi local to me so that I could go and see - demo the gear. The gear I ended up purchasing wasn't hooked up so the seller and I arranged a deal where i could take it home for a couple of days and test it out.

Worked out well.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Almost everything in my setup was purchased pre-owned, I knew what brands I wanted, so I would purchase units from Audiogon and give them a try, I made sure though that I bought them right so if I didnt like the piece I could re-sell it and not lose any money.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

I have had great luck purchasing fairly expensive AV gear on Audiogon from Sellers with high ratings.
          Stan

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I too, have had good luck on Agon. 1 amp, a Rotel 1066, and a Magum Dyalab FM tuner, etc. But always be careful. I always have a phone conversation with the seller. It's no grantee, but it can't hurt.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• NonSense
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by george_k
              I'm looking for a integrated amplifier to replace the receiver I'm currently using to drive my speakers. I realize that with the budget I've set for myself ($2,000), I could get a far better sounding used product than I could if I spent the money on something new.

The main reason I've held back from buying anything used is because you can't demo before you buy. Also, I'm from Montreal and the local market for used equipment is both expensive and limited in terms of what's available, anything I do buy is likely to come from Audiogon.

How do you guys work around this drawback?
              George

I would disagree with you. Montreal is probably the best city in Canada in terms of quality used gear. Far better than Ottawa. Probably why "Le Festival Son & Image" has been so successful. Just a couple of weeks ago I picked up a very nice, used integrated in Montreal sub $2k. Took the afternoon off and drove down for the demo.

You should decide what you want and then just wait until it become available. If you choose a successful piece, someone will always be making the move to upgrade. While your waiting, just keep a record of the prices on Audiogon to keep the seller honest. You may have to pay a little more, but it was probably worth it to have the local pickup.

There are also several audio shops that take gear on consignment both there and in Ottawa. You can often get great deals that way as well. If there is a specific piece you are looking for, they may have a customer kicking the tires on an upgrade, who would make the move if they had a buyer of their current gear.

FWIW

Hope this helps.
              Bruce

Comment

• dave
                • Aug 2003

I have had really good success using Audiogon, what helped me out was using A-gon on conjuntion with Audio Reviews website wwwaudioreview.com.
                I used that forum to find the reviews on various pieces of equipment, to see what suited my personal preferences and went from there.

Dave...
                Dave...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"