X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

My movie/music on going conflict

Seems I can't seem to get my system to do both music and movies.If I set it up to sound perfect for SACD/CD's and the such it sounds great.

Throw in a movie and it sounds thin and weak.Get it to sound great for movies and throw in a CD and,you guessed it sounds wrong.

So in the end It will do both, but with a bit of playing around with levels and my new L-pads on my mains.What I think I may do is document the movie settings and see how they change when I do a music setup.

Need I say, what are your thoughts ? Even if it kills me let me know if your system does both with little way of adjustments.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kgveteran
    Seems I can't seem to get my system to do both music and movies.If I set it up to sound perfect for SACD/CD's and the such it sounds great.

Throw in a movie and it sounds thin and weak.Get it to sound great for movies and throw in a CD and,you guessed it sounds wrong.

So in the end It will do both, but with a bit of playing around with levels and my new L-pads on my mains.What I think I may do is document the movie settings and see how they change when I do a music setup.

Need I say, what are your thoughts ? Even if it kills me let me know if your system does both with little way of adjustments.
    I know this is probably not what you want to hear but I gave up on that search years ago. I have seperate room setups. This was before SACD & DVD-A formats became available, but I tried and tried but found that I experienced difficulties switching between audio and video.

I have a HT setup in my family room for multichannel A/V and I have room dedicated for two channel audio(CD/SACD/Vinyl). I understand that I'm very lucky to have the space for both.

I should point out that neither rooms are anything special, layout wise, I just had an extra room with the right shape for two channel audio so I went with seperate rooms and haven't looked back since.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• kgveteran
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
      I know this is probably not what you want to hear but I gave up on that search years ago. I have seperate room setups. This was before SACD & DVD-A formats became available, but I tried and tried but found that I experienced difficulties switching between audio and video.

I have a HT setup in my family room for multichannel A/V and I have room dedicated for two channel audio(CD/SACD/Vinyl). I understand that I'm very lucky to have the space for both.

I should point out that neither rooms are anything special, layout wise, I just had an extra room with the right shape for two channel audio so I went with seperate rooms and haven't looked back since.
      Actually I don't mind hearing that.It makes me feel a little better.

I think back to my early system in the late 80's. Spica TC-50's a vandersteen sub, a musical fidelity B-1 (35watt per channel) integrated amp, and I was very happy with it.

Comment

• Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Seeing that I have both in the same room I have two DVD players to so that I can set the values separately for each. I use that "Multi channel input" on my receiver for SACD.
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

David,

Unless you are very lucky, it is very difficult (at least) to have a single system that sounds perfect for vinyl, Redbook, SACD and DVD.

A little re-stating of the obvious here: Vinyl and CD are traditionally a 2-channel source, SACD is either 2-channel or multi-channel and DVD is generally multi-channel.

Optimizing a room for 2-channel listening requires you do any number of delicate, sometimes esoteric placements of speakers and other things such as bass traps, absorptive and diffusing panels and adjustments to their relative positions so that the source sound is correctly reproduced at the listening position. Multi-channel basically uses more of a brute force approach with speakers at many axes to act as sources requiring you to mainly just balance the volumes and set the proper delay.

Having said all that, I only had one room and decided that good 2-channel is more important to me than perfect multi-channel. Once I had the 2-channel dialed in, the multi-channel placements came pretty naturally and with some tweaking of delay and volume settings the multi- sounded pretty doggone good.

I know that doesn't exactly get you where you wanted to go. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Two separate systems in two rooms, 2-ch & 5.1

Didn't even try to create a perfect balance in the 5.1, it's a red herring... but I did make it a music-first system, and use its surround attributes for music playback... there's a universal player for DVD-A and SACD... I play back 2-ch sources in DPL2 (center off) for a mild ambience effect... and I can easily switch to a passable 2.1 configuration if needed.

And then let the chips fall where they may for movies... not a priority, but they do sound good -- the alien spaceships never fail to convincingly fly into the room.

Music-wise, it's nice to have the two different experiences... the 2-ch system is more convincing and accurate, but surround has its charms.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Thank you all. I'll setup for multi-channel and work on the two channel later.

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

My system does both reasonably well using separate subwoofers for 2ch and HT. I was going to use a mixer to blend both LFE and 2ch into the same subwoofers then decided to use additional subs.

I am using power amps which makes it a little easier to tap off the signals.
                Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"