X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtb300
    • Apr 2007

Receiver swap out with Processor for Music

Currently using a Yamaha RX-V1400 for Movie and SACD duties. I have dedicated Power Amps for Surrounds and Center, and run back through HT Passthrough on my Pre Amp for mains. I have superb two-channel audio and looking to upgrade the SACD sound in my setup.

In anyones opinion here, and I realize how good something sounds is very personal and subjective, but does anyone feel that going from the Yamaha to a dedicated processor like the C2 or the 7100 will improve the sound of SACD playback for MCH??? Remember I will use the analog outputs from my modified Sony player into the processor, then Pre-Out all channels to dedicated amps. Currently, the Yamaha DOES NOT POWER any channels.

I am not looking for the processor to take over two channel duties, just MCH Music and Movies.

Movies are not my main concern, nor is video, as I get a good enough picture for myself now with an Oppo Player with HDMI direct to TV (XBR-960). I run digital from Oppo to Yamaha for sound, but sound for movies is not a big thing either.

Anyone here go this route and find the dedicated processor REALLY did make a significant difference?? I know that bringing one home and trying it out will be the ultimate test, but before I go that route and take up a stores resources and time, I thought I would get peoples opinions?

I have a few processors that I have seen in mind, but the C2 is probably at the top of my list.

Dan
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hiya, Dan, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

Yes, I can without reservation, and I feel completely objectively, say that making that switch will GREATLY improve the performance of all your audio, and ESPECIALLY high-resolution stuff like SACD. I myself went from an RX-V2095 Yamaha receiver 5 years ago, which has been highly rated for its price group, to the C1. The difference is far beyond subjective. It sounds like you already use separate amplifiers, which is better than just the Yamaha doing all the work, but it's still going to be an improvement.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• dtb300
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
      Hiya, Dan, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
      Thanks for the welcome Chris.

Yes, I can without reservation, and I feel completely objectively, say that making that switch will GREATLY improve the performance of all your audio, and ESPECIALLY high-resolution stuff like SACD. I myself went from an RX-V2095 Yamaha receiver 5 years ago, which has been highly rated for its price group, to the C1. The difference is far beyond subjective. It sounds like you already use separate amplifiers, which is better than just the Yamaha doing all the work, but it's still going to be an improvement.
      I realize that if I was using the DAC's of the Yamaha and going to a processor like the C2 and using its DAC's, that the sound change would probably be substantial. But since all the DAC processing is done in the Sony, then sent to the Processor via analog connections (processor just performing time delay and any volume gain adjustments), then sent out to dedicated amps, I was concerned that the change would not be that great.

When looking at $2k for a used C2, that is a bit of change for just a possible little improvment. Yes, I know, again the amount of improvement is up to each of us. I really hate to borrow a C2 from a dealer to audition when I will be strictly looking for a used model due to financial constraints - read: kids in college. Maybe I can find a Parasound dealer who also has receivers and get a comparison in the store. But again, if I take up their time, I really like to give them my business. It is just a thing with me.

Since I already have superb two channel playback, I really wanted to improve my MCH playback for those SACD's that I listen to in MCH - which is mostly Classical and they do MCH correctly with ambience in the surrounds and not musicians and singers. I play those "other" SACD's in two channel as I cannot stand when they mix musicians and singers into the surrounds. I listen to players on a stage, not sit in the middle of them.

For movies I would really expect an improvement over the Yamaha, but again that would be a side benefit, and not the ultimate goal I am looking for.

BTW, would the 7100 give me similar results as the C2 for less $$$, if I could find one on the used market?

Thanks,
      Dan

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"