X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Other forums

Ok...I think it's safe to assume most of us make occasional trips to alternate forums. :? I get something different from each forum. I see lots of info at the HTF just because of their HUGE member group.

However, I've started to notice something at HTF that is just not good. There is a feeling I get that they have an agenda. Their inner circle does a formidable job of slanting things in particular ways.

For example, SVS and Outlaw. If you even begin to make an anti-SVS or Outlaw comment you will be punished verbally. However, if you make a comment about SVS or Outlaw's direct competition the 'inner circle' will jump right in and help point out how SVS and Outlaw are superior (even if you didn't bring them up!).

I get good info there (and other places) but I just have this 'evil empire' feel from the HTF. I can't quite put my finger on it -the above text is the best I can come up with right now.

We just need more people to post here!

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I know exactly what you're saying, Sili. I rarely visit that particular forum for the exact reason you cite. I, too like to visit the various sites because they all have something of interest. But the one you mentioned and some of the others are just not that firendly anymore. There is so much flaming going on in some that you wonder, " are these people adults or a bunch of children?". Anyway, it's good to know that we here at HT Guide conduct ourselves as ladies and gentlemen.All of us don't always agree, but you'll rarely see any flaming going on here. And I have yet to read a post where someone is insulting another poster. We can all do without that, can't we.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Guys as much as we all visit other forums and participate in our own ways please lets not bad mouth other forums here on the guide. I'll be the first to agree HTF has issues but they also have the largest membership and thus attract a lot of attention from all walks of life. If you have a specific problem with them I'd suggest posting it in their feedback area not here on the guide. I'm not saying that's what's happened here but I don't want this thread to become a gripe session about another forum...just like we'd not what that to occur on their site.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, it's ok to talk "general", without mentioning specific names. But we really don't want to seem like we are "anti" any forum in particular any more than I hope they wouldn't talk about us there.

However, I will say, that I have a unique perspective into some of the "favoritism" and excusive arrangements at several forums, so I do understand where your coming from and I have seen this type mentality develop around the net. If your not batting for the home team, your batting for the wrong team, flat out according to many. Obviously, I disagree.

Lets just keep the names out of it, and talk "generally".

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Well Sili's post is a valid one, but I'd agree that we shouldn't name names. All and all, I don't see anything wrong with general discussion on this subject.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
            • Aug 2000

Well if I can’t name names I will move on to the next thread.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

If it gets rigid or nasty, I'm gone. There have been several forums I've moved away from simply because they became un-friendly and un-willing to listen to a different opinion. Here is home, HTT is a close number two and a dedicated RX-V1 forum is number 3.

Namin' names is okay if it's positive, right Uncle Lex? :

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Pat
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                ...but they also have the largest membership...
                I just had to point out that they don't have the largest membership
                AVS is bigger.

Pat's Page
                Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

trust me if we were all sitting on my patio drinking beer I'd have my share of stories to tell as well I do also agree that some of the other forums have basically become promo boards for product "X" etc. On "that place we're not naming" if you didn't sign up for the outlaw 950 pre amp have a rotel power amp an SVS sub with paradigm studio speakers and the panasonic RP91 DVD player you bought the wrong system. While these are obviously fine products there's other products worthy of discussion IMO

Comment

• MRWILLL
                    • Aug 2000

Andrew...

AAAAA-men!!

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                    DVD...Hear it from the people who
                    mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
                    STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                    DVD...Hear it from the people who
                    mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Pat
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Andrew, I hear ya man...I don't have any of those products...I guess my system is crap :roll:

Pat's Page
                      Pat's Page

Comment

• SiliGoose
                        • Aug 2000

outlaw 950...rotel power amp...SVS sub...paradigm studio speakers...panasonic RP91 DVD player
                        LOL! I guess I do notice all those others as well.

I just find it really unfortunate that when a newbie searches for help in Home Theater he ends up "somewhere else". It's also too bad that more experienced users don't often wander over here prior to getting sucked into "other forums".

There is a really solid bunch of core members here that aren't being "used" to their full potential. That's just a shame. I think I'll launch a denial of service attack on our competition :twisted:.

I'm sure Lex deals with this every day. What would help?

-Sili
                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
                          • Aug 2000

Did you guys happen to see the Outlaw thread on "another forum" that was closed? Perfect example of what happens when you challenge the inner circle.

BTW, I'm not too cool with the name change of this thread. I understand the reasoning but I prefer a little spine in my forums.

-Sili
                          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Sili, sorry, I just didn't want HTF to be the focus of the top of our board. It's not a matter of not having spine. It's a pride thing.

They won't let me mention my cable company at all on their forum, so why should I allow their forum mentioned here?

Lex
                            Doug

Comment

• SiliGoose
                              • Aug 2000

Fair enough.

What do you have to do to get your product mentioned? Are checks actually written?

-Sili
                              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

Well, basically, I rely on word of mouth, my satisfied customers. I was chastized so many times there I just quit going.

What do you mean, are checks actually written? If you mean, if I write them a check, will they let me chat it up? Well, BC is the official cable supplier, and as such, they accept no ads from other cable vendors. I have tried. It really doesn't stop there. Pretty much name your forum, the same type thing exists. Sad really.

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

• Robbie
                                  • Aug 2000

I have to agree. I've been to all those other forums and each time I get disgusted with folks attitudes. I don't appreciate getting talked down to just because my system doesn't fit into their idea of the perfect system. That's why this is the only audio forum I browse regularly anymore. And there's no better info out there.

That and the fact I seem to follow Lex around.

Anyway good listening...

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Robbie! Where ya been hiding man? Good to see you and thanks for the kind words. One thing, come out of that woodwork, and post some stuff, like now. 8)

I don't think anyone has ever been talked down to at HTG. That's just not our style. This is our style :arrow: ;b>'>

Lex ;h
                                    Doug

Comment

• Brandon B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2001

I was thinking about a topic closely related to this.

I've noticed in threads such as those mentioned above, there often ends up being a person or two who sort of becomes unwelcome on a particular forum. The people who have made him so are often posters on other forums as well, and the unwelcome people can find themselves basically feeling uncomfortable participating in most of the major forums.

It is not like the real world where you can join a different club, go to a different playground, bar, whatever, where those people don't go, as the internet eliminates geography so you are likely to run into the people you are trying to avoid almost anywhere.

I share your guys feeling that this forum is more civil and low key than the bigger ones. That seems to be true on most of the smaller forums. But sometimes there's value in numbers (diversity of responses, wider knowledge base, etc.)

Downside to the shrinking of the world.

BB

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

This Forum is special.
                                        Maybe it's because of the size of membership, which creates
                                        a more welcoming attitude.
                                        It's much easier to get to know and recognize members here, than anywhere else that I have visited.
                                        We all seem to stick up and support each other.

:-y :-y
                                        Hail to the Guide!

Trevor
                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                        C5
                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                          Former Moderator
                                          • Jan 2002

Sorry my network has been down for 5 days, pew! However, I would like to say that I am lucky that I started out here without going to any other forums, mainly because I thought that bashing was mostly what the forums did. I too thought that my HT system/gear would have not been up to snuff to even talk about it.

I must say I was very surprised the welcome I got trying out this forum my first and only. I was even lost for words when I recieved a personal Email from Lex welcoming me to the Guide. I have told and invited friends to join this forum pointing out the friendly - family atmostphere that this guide creates for newbies. I am lucky to have found you and to have made this place my first and still my only.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to dry my eyes!

Thanks Guys! REALLY, great job great atmosphere.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                                          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Wow, it's great to hear all these positive comments about my favorite HT spot on the net.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"