803D based system: B&W ASW700/Velodyne/SVS sub?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

803D based system: B&W ASW700/Velodyne/SVS sub?

Hi! I have finally decided to get my system upgraded. After months of planning, reading and auditioning I have decided on 803D fronts with HTM2D ctr with Rotel 1570/1575 combo. Exhausted my funds and hence no rears at this time. My query is what sub to get? I had initially intended to get the ASW700 but saw in the forums Velodyne and SVS seemed on many lists. Was looking at the mini-vee. Budget $500-700$. Appreciate any help.
    Ray
  • B&W_Group_Fan
    • Sep 2008

Ray,

I've got the MiniVee and am pretty pleased with it (room size is around 21' x 13'). I've owned a couple of Velodyne models over the years and can say I'm pretty impressed with them. I can't speak to the B&W subs.

Nice choice on your other gear - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    HT
    Rotel RSX-1560
    B&W Signature 7NT (x6) | B&W FPM6 (center) | Velodyne MiniVee
    Panasonic TH-46PZ800U | Panasonic DMP-BD55
    Apple TV

Kitchen / Dining
    Rotel RB-1510 (RSX-1560 providing source)
    B&W CCM 65 (x4)

Control
    URC MX-880 w/ MRF-350

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by B&W_Group_Fan
      Ray,

I've got the MiniVee and am pretty pleased with it (room size is around 21' x 13'). I've owned a couple of Velodyne models over the years and can say I'm pretty impressed with them. I can't speak to the B&W subs.

Nice choice on your other gear - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
      Thanks. My room size is pretty similar, 21' x 24' with vaulted ceilings. Eventually I think I'll need two subs but right now no more moolah! Though my dealer does not think so even though he is a Velodyne dealer also!

Comment

• garak
        • Jul 2007

I've got a single Velodyne DD-15 with my 803Ds, and I'm very happy with it. My room is also similar in size, 17 X 24, and I don't feel the need for a second sub.

Comment

• ray5
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garak
          I've got a single Velodyne DD-15 with my 803Ds, and I'm very happy with it. My room is also similar in size, 17 X 24, and I don't feel the need for a second sub.
          Great , even better! What rears and electronics do you have?
          Ray

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ray5
            Great , even better! What rears and electronics do you have?
            Ray
            I have 804S for my surrounds and Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200 for my electronics.

If you click on my alias and click View Public Profile, you can see a list of my whole setup. Many people list their gear in their public profile, so it's a good place to check.

Comment

• MikeFL52
              • Oct 2007

I have 2 SVS subs paired with my 803Ds and am very pleased with them.

Comment

• ray5
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                I have 2 SVS subs paired with my 803Ds and am very pleased with them.
                Which ones do you have?

Comment

• MikeFL52
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ray5
                  Which ones do you have?
                  Apologies for taking so long to get back (been busy!!). I have the Ultra PB13s, they are a pretty large (and heavy) cabinet for a 13" driver, but sound much more controlled (less boomy) than my Velodyne HGS15 did. On music they sound controlled on movies they can sound very visceral!

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                    Apologies for taking so long to get back (been busy!!). I have the Ultra PB13s, they are a pretty large (and heavy) cabinet for a 13" driver, but sound much more controlled (less boomy) than my Velodyne HGS15 did. On music they sound controlled on movies they can sound very visceral!
                    Thanks. I spoke with my dealer and strangely for the first time he mentioned that apparently he spoke with B&W and they did not recommend a sub below $2000! I am ver sceptical, even though I am nowhere close to being an expert but since when did more money correlate directly with quality? Also if he had said "choose this as it is beeter quality" it would have been different than choose this as it is more expensive!
                    I was toying with either Velodyne or Paradigm ultracube 12 or even SVS.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

I saw that you were thinking of the ASW700 at one point. I would get that over an Ultracube12 any day. I sell both Paradigm and B&W (we just became a Velodyne dealer so I don't have any experience with them yet or SVS) and the ASW700 sounds WAY better than an Ultracube12. The Paradigm might play a little louder, but it's very boomy in comparison.

Eric

Comment

• ray5
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                        I saw that you were thinking of the ASW700 at one point. I would get that over an Ultracube12 any day. I sell both Paradigm and B&W (we just became a Velodyne dealer so I don't have any experience with them yet or SVS) and the ASW700 sounds WAY better than an Ultracube12. The Paradigm might play a little louder, but it's very boomy in comparison.

Eric
                        Thanks. Appreciate it.

Comment

• ray5
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi

Eric
                          Eric,
                          Could you elaborate on why the ASW 700 sounds better?
                          Ray

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"