X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

JVC XV-S6x DVD player (PAL/NTSC) Chip Mod - success

For those interested in a DVD player that can be modded for multi-region play and already possesses PAL/NTSC conversion/playback, there is a mod chip hack for the JVC XV-S60/62/65 DVD player.

I obtained the mod chip from a guy who mainly hangs around the AVS forum (go there and do a search on "JVC ckna", you'll find the guy...), so I will say that the mod chip does work. I paid $65 for the mod chip and instructions. The guy will do the mod for around $100 plus return shipping costs. I decided to roll the dice and do the soldering myself to save $40 plus shipping.

I will confess that it does require a low wattage 15W soldering iron, solder, and a bit of soldering skill/luck to solder 8 wires to various points in the innards of the DVD player. You need to be quick and nimble with the soldering iron, apply just enough heat/solder to the connection point and move on to the next connection. There's a couple of connection points which were tricky, but I managed to make a good enough effective connection.

The kit is pretty simplistic: one small 8-pin DIP mod chip, one 8-pin harness with 8 thin, long wire, small bit of heat shrink tubing to cover the mod chip/harness, and instructions for soldering locations for each wire, and how to change regions on the DVD player.

The mod was a success. I followed the instructions on changing regions for the player, then I popped in a PAL DVD into my JVC XV-S65GD, and was treated to a wonderful video image on my TV with no muss, no fuss on my part. It automatically converts PAL video to NTSC video.

So if you're handy with a soldering iron, and need region free/PAL-NTSC conversion, this might be the chip mod hack and DVD player for you.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Pretty cool Patrick, congrats on a successful mod! So, what's the big advantage to this anyway, aren't most things available for NTSC that are available for PAL? Is there an image advantage? How about region free, what does that gain you? Just curious...

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Patrick Sun
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

It all depends on what you "consume" as a DVD viewer. There's plenty of stuff that is simply not available in Region 1 (the US/Canada) but is in different areas/regions in the world, so if you want to view those DVDs in region 1, you need a DVD player that offers PAL/NTSC conversion to be copacetic with your TV set, and you need the ability to read DVDs outside of region 1 (thus the Region Code hack for this mod).

Even if you have an all-region PAL DVD, when you feed a PAL signal to your TV, it's going look very distorted and ugly.

If you want Japanese DVDs, they are region 2, but are NTSC, so you still need to able to read region 2 DVDs. If you want other DVDs, you need both capabilities to watch everything the world offers in DVD.

Some DVDs never make back to region 1 due to music rights in the film. I have to wonder if that's what is holding up the Jackie Brown DVD.

If you have to have all of the South Park episodes, you have to go outside of Region 1 to get them. And the list goes on and on...

Again, it goes back to your DVD appetite.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"