X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Blu-ray and component video . . .

Hey everyone,

I'm considering picking up a Blu-ray player, but I'm a little confused about the video outputs. I read online that on some discs, you are required to use HDMI outputs to view HD material.

Unfortunately, my TV is an older model and it only has component inputs for HD sources. Are there many Blu-ray discs out there that will not pass a HD signal through the component outputs on the player or am I confused about how the signals are processed?

Would hate to pickup a player and not be able to use it on my TV. I realize I could not view 1080p, but I assume it would downconvert to 1080i.

Thanks in advance!
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Assuming the tv you refer to is HD, you should be able to pass 720p or 1080i via the component video inputs. However, as you mention, you will not be able to pass a 1080p signal this way. The blu-ray player should allow you to specify the appropriate resolution to send.
    Brad

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

AFAIK, no current production discs have the protection bit set that turns on down-rezzing, so you should be able to use component video for 720p/1080i for the time being.

If and when they start using this "feature", there will be a revolt.

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

Thanks folks, that helps!

I do eventually plan on replacing my TV but it's hard to justify when it still works perfectly fine and provides a gorgeous picture as well

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Keep in mind the scaling features for regular DVD's will be disabled on the component outputs. They will be limited to 480P.

Kevin D.

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

Good point Kevin D. I don't think that's a huge concern for me right now, but it is good to know!

Comment

• Dave999
              • Mar 2007

NMG, I have the same situation and have used a PS3 with good results. The picture is still excellent on blu-ray disks.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

well, obvious, the main reason to get an HD unit is for HD, any other standard DVD player won't upconvert either, so unless you had one of the few players that can upconvert, you loose nothing in the switch anyway.

But the nice thing about component is, typically there is more than one input anyway, their's receiver switching too as a possibility. So why not, get it now, build your library some, then later, you won't be looking back saying, wish I hadn't bought all those older DVDs.

But think really well which format will offer the biggest selection for you. I have t o admit, if I had to choose, I'd have a hard time with some I like on each format exclusive it seems...
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wildfire99
                  • Aug 2005

Save money. Buy entry-level players for both formats, don't buy movies. I'd rather pay Netflix than a non-neutral (read: consumer unfriendly) movie studio. Sure that takes the fun out of owning, but it's a disease whose effects do pass given time.
                  - Patrick
                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• NMG
                    • Oct 2004

Thanks everyone,

I just read yesterday that Paramount and Dreamworks have now chosen to go HD-DVD exclusive, so that may just tip the scales for me to pickup the HD-DVD player for my Xbox 360 instead of going Blu-ray at this time.

That player is a cheap solution for the time being and I think I'll be okay with the movie selections for now. I don't think the price point of the 360 player is prohibitive enough to worry about HD-DVD not being "the format".

It certainly is an interesting discussion!

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

One nice thing too is for 179 for the HD player for the 360 you also get King Kong (and if you buy at Best Buy this week) and 300 in HD. Plus you get to choose 5 movies from Paramount (I believe it is) as well. So that's like 7 movies plus the player for 179.99... Not a bad deal.

Just sucks you don't have True HD audio and no 1080p... oh well... I did it anyways.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• NMG
                        • Oct 2004

Yeah I checked out the 5 free movie deal, but it ony applies if you live in the States :evil:

Oh well, I picked it up last night and I'll hook it all up today. I picked up the HD-DVD's for Planet Earth as well, so I'll be sure to post a review :T

Comment

• NMG
                          • Oct 2004

Just a quick update,

I got the HD-DVD player hooked up and it is simply awesome. The PQ is amazing and while I only watched a few scenes, King Kong was wicked. The SQ was also very impressive. Planet Earth had me drooling in spots, simply mesmerizing.

Well worth $200.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Awesome, NMG! :banana:

Not to rub it in, but actually this week in Best Buy, you can get ***7*** free movies with the purchase of a player, PLUS King Kong and 300!
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• NMG
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                              Not to rub it in, but actually this week in Best Buy, you can get ***7*** free movies with the purchase of a player, PLUS King Kong and 300!
                              LOL . . . that's a great incentive for someone to jump into HD-DVD. If you do, please send me half of your free movies. I'll pay the shipping :B

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"