• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

X-Files coming to a close

'X-Files' coming to an end
    By JAM! TV
    Put an X beside "X Files" after this season.

Variety reports that the current ninth season of the supernatural thriller series will be its last, and the show will wrap for good in May.

Series creator Chris Carter told Fox Entertainment he is ready to bring the show to an end. The series will wrap up with a two-hour special written by Carter, and may be preceded by a retrospective collection of highlights from the series.

The series launched in 1993 and entered syndication four years later, where it has been a huge money-earner for Fox's parent company, News Corp., and has ranked as the highest-rated syndicated show.

Although the show still earns respectable ratings, they have dipped this season, particularly after a series of cast changes. The Hollywood Reporter said the slipping ratings, combined with the show's pricey $4 million per episode budget, spurred the decision to wrap the series.

Carter told Variety he wants to bury the show while it still has life.

"It's the ninth inning. We want to go out on top," Carter told Variety. "We wanted to go out as a strong show."

"I'd like to think the show is still one of the most imaginative on television. It never quit being original."

The report said Carter has promised to tie up all the series' loose ends with the finale, and that he would love to have original cast-member David Duchovny return for the special. Duchovny left the series after he filed suit against the network over his profit participation in the series.

Characters from "X-Files" will likely continue in what is hoped to be a series of theatrical films, the report sai

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This isn't totally unexpected. The show has lost something with the exit of Mulder (David Duchovny) and the "downsizing" of Scully's (Gillian Anderson) role. I like Dogget (Robert Patrick) and Reyes (Annabeth Gish) and the differences they bring to the show, but it's not the "same X-Files". I'm really interested in how Chris Carter intends to wrap up all of the major loose ends that this show has generated!

Here's more from the X-Files official web site.

On that note, I'm off to build a shrine to Mulder, Scully, Skinner, Doggett, Reyes, The Smoking Man and all the others. . . .

just kidding

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

great news IMO

Duchovny willing to return for 'X-Files' finale
      By JAM! TV
      It appears wayward "X-Files" star David Duchovny will return to help wrap up the series at the end of this season.

Series creator Chris Carter told the New York Post that his desire to have Duchovny return to reprise his character, Special Agent Fox Mulder, for the show's finale, has moved closer to reality.

"David was open to it and now the (legal and logistical) complication of trying to get it done comes," Carter told The Post. The legal problems Carter spoke of refers to Duchovny's law suit against the series, which was related to his share of revenues from the series.

"I just have to make the show as interesting as possible, not just for David but for the fans," Carter told The Post.

If Duchovny does return, it will represent a reversal of his previous stand on the series. In November, he told the Toronto Sun's Bruce Kirkland that he would never return to the show, but was open to possibly appearing in a second "X-Files" film.

"I'm real proud of the show. It was just my personal decision to say I needed to go out and do some other things," Duchovny told Kirkland, adding that the sheer volume of his work on over eight seasons of TV represents 200 hours of performing.

"There are 200 hours of me acting somewhere. When you look at the actors you grew up loving, they maybe made 40 films. There's 80 hours of them. So I did enough. It was enough for me. It was enough of me acting in the 'X-Files'."

Before Duchovny departed the show last year, Carter introduced new characters played by Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish, but ratings have slumped this season.

"I told the actors that I didn't want them to feel responsible for me making this decision," Carter told the Post, of the move to kill the show.

"I wanted to go out while we were still strong."

The final episode, expected to air in May, will answer many of the series' puzzling questions.

"I hope to answer as many questions as I feel that I should answer," Carter told The Post, "but hopefully this season finale will lead us in a very clear way towards this next movie that we'd like to do". (More on The X-Files)

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

"I hope to answer as many questions as I feel that I should answer," Carter told The Post, "but hopefully this season finale will lead us in a very clear way towards this next movie that we'd like to do". (More on The X-Files)
        Ha, I knew it, once those questions are answered, a whole slew of new questions will come up. And any movie will just answer those questions but will raise even further questions. I mean really, what exactly would a resolution to the X-Files look like?

I think that if some kind of resolution to the conspiracy, alien factions, and consortiums would then just be too strange, and my system would not be able to stand it.

Can anybody tell me why if there's 2 alien factions coming after Earth, what is so special about Earth? And if it is of special importance, why not just invade? They've both got the technology, even if they lack the alien power. Maybe they like our biosphere and inhabitants and are looking for an out of the way experiment world. I could buy that.

I've been a big X-Files fan, until this year. I've missed one episode and have one taped still to see. I did not like the new characters as much, or they just need some time to get comfortable, looks like they'll only have to the end of this year to get things done.

Well enough rambling from me.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"