X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoopalini
    • Aug 2000

Nothing to do with HT

Ok, so now that I've got you in here :P

what game console would you guys recommend?
    Playstation 2 or Dreamcast :?

I don't know how much the Playstation 2 is, or even where I could get one; but I do know I can get a Dreamcast for around $150 or so.

Dreamcast games can be downloaded and burnt to a cd from the net, but I'm not sure about the Playstation 2 games.

So it really seems like the Dreamcast is the choice to go with, but I've heard so many good things about the PS2, im wondering if I should get that instead.

Anyone know how much the PS2's are going for in US dollars?
    Where can one be ordered from?
    Where would I get games for it?
    Is the quality (audio/visual) that much different between the 2?
    How do I make the voices be quiet ...... (oops! wrong forum h

Oh, and just to link this into the HT environment, I'm gonna be hooking it up to a Sony Wega 36XBR250 and Yamaha 795 (DD/DTS) receiver. Do either of these units support DD or DTS? ...... the game consoles, not TV and receiver!

Maybe I should just find a Game Console Forum, but I trust you guys and value your opinions -- and I know you all have game consoles, right

Any ideas?

Thomas
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Thomas, I am far from a gaming expert. Though I do own playstation 1 and Nintendo 64. But I think the new players will be Sony, and some other company which I can't recall the name of.

To me, Sega, has always been weak in software. But perhaps that has changed with the new generation Dreamcast. But I have been seeing quite a few Dreamcasts for sale used, and to me, that isn't a good sign.

My advice, is wait for PS2. Software offering is weak now, but will improve next year.

New versions of games like Need for Speed and Xtreme Games should be killer on the new system!

Lex

Comment

• SMiLEY
      • Sep 2000

I've always been a big fan of Sega, but they pissed me off with that Saturn crap. The Dreamcast is a nice console, I don't own one, but I have several friends that do and I must say it's pretty nice. There are plenty of good games out for Dreamcast and $150 isn't too bad.

The PS2 won't be out until the end of October, and unless you've got one pre-ordered, it's going to be pretty tough to get one. If you hurry, you might still be able to get a pre-order from your local Toys'R'Us. They are $300 and as far as I can tell, there aren't really any great games coming out for it immediately.

If you want a console NOW, get a Dreamcast. If you decide to get a PS2, wait awhile for the price to come down and for some good games to come out.

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

Yeah Smiley, I am taking the wail til next year approach on PS/2. Perhaps my luck with Sony will change then, lol.

Lex

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
          • Sep 2000

Well, I own a Dreamcast...so I can tell you it ROCKS and you should waste no time in getting one.

This system kicks ass with some AAA+ titles such as:

Soul Calibur (worth the price of admission alone)
          Crazy Taxi
          NFL2K (and many of the sports titles)
          Ecco: The Dolphin
          Rayman 2 (stunning game!)
          Sonic Adventure
          Seaman
          Metropolis Street Racer (not out yet, soon)
          Shenmue
          Jet Grind Radio

and those are just the ones on top of my head. Sega knows they have a lot of work to do and it shows with these excellent titles.

The PS2 is bogus, IMHO. I won't get into any childish "Sony sucks, Sega rules" nonsense, but look at the facts and the reviews on the net...

Not that many impressive games for PS2. In fact, some argue there is only one AAA+ title (compare to the DC list above).

As a DVD player? Forget about it! This is one of PS2's much-touted advantages, but word is the DVD player sucks...I've heard of terrible image quality as well.

And speaking of image quality...did you know the PS2 does NOT perform anti-aliasing? That means all the jaggies you've come to hate on PSX (and all other consoles) - are still there!! DC uses anti-aliasing and the images are smooth as silk.

Personally, at that price, I have no idea why you are still sitting here reading this....go and get thee a Dreamcast!!

____
          Jeff

Comment

• MichaelW
            • Aug 2000

Personally, I am waiting for the Nintendo Starcube platform. Looks like that platform will be awesome. If you want DVD capability then there will also be DVD based version at a higher price. I do think the 3.5" discs are frankly cute as pie

The PS2 is bogus, IMHO. I won't get into any childish "Sony sucks, Sega rules" nonsense, but look at the facts and the reviews on the net...
            Jeff,

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that makes people standup and take notice. And you certainly held back from stating that the PS2 sucks (err bogus).

Comment

• Paul McGowan
              • Aug 2000

Stoop. If you have to get one right now, I'd get a Dreamcast. Otherwise I'd wait til the new Nintendo Game Cube comes out (probably next year, i think?) will be much better. I agree with Lex on Segs+Games, and have heard many bad things about the PS2.... it does two things, games and dvd, but both really badly.....

I'd wait, but I don't know how long it'd be....

Notify Moderator
              Notify Moderator

Comment

• Stoopalini
                • Aug 2000

Well, doesn't look like it was up to me afterall ....... my girlfriend brought me home a Dreamcast 2 days ago 8)

Oh, and she's no "Stoop" :W either, as she also brought home a second controller, a memory card, and 2 games: TNN's Hardcore Heat (off-road racing) and Speed Devils (muscle car racing)!
                Yea, I'm a racing nut :B

I couldn't be happier with it, oh and the girlfriend is nice too

I was playing the TNN Off-road racing game when my brother, who has the Playstation I, stopped by the house. He looks at the picture and says "well, it looks just as good as mine....." So I put in a demo disc with Ready-2-Rumble on it and he goes "WOW! now that looks much better than mine!" ..... hehehe

The graphics are great, there are a ton of titles available for it, and it's smoooooth. My experience with the earlier playstation was if the graphics were any good, gameplay was always choppy.

Anyway, there's my update -- no more dilemma Thanks for all the input

Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"