X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ford's takes HT on the road

TROY, Mich. - Motorists who like to take their home entertainment on the road will soon be able to do just that in the 2002 Ford Excursion featuring Delphi Automotive Systems' Communiport integrated rear-seat entertainment with DVD playback capability.

The Delphi rear-seat entertainment system offers the amenities of a home-theatre system in an SUV. The Excursion is one of the first full-size sport-utility vehicles to offer a factory-installed entertainment system.

"Vehicle travel is often stressful for parents as their children get bored and restless, but with Delphi's entertainment electronics kids can stay occupied and happy watching DVD movies, listening to CDs or even playing video games," said Bob Schumacher, Delphi's business line executive. "We are extremely excited about the first application of the system in a full-size Ford SUV. The Excursion is designed with long road trips in mind and Delphi's rear-seat entertainment electronics system brings a new level of pleasure into the vehicle for those trips."

Delphi's Communiport factory-installed rear-seat entertainment electronics features DVD playback, CD playback, dual headphones and audio/video inputs for any standard video game, camcorder, VCR or other auxiliary electronic devices.

Delphi developed the electronics system and Plastech completes mechanical integration into the vehicle headliner. The seven-inch liquid crystal display colour monitor, which offers a crisp picture, is flush mounted with the headliner and flips down for use. It is controlled using an infrared remote.

Delphi also offers aftermarket versions of its rear-seat entertainment systems for headliner mounting and seat-top use.

• George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Sounds great for those with children.This is a way to keep 'em quiet on those long trips.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• rlabarge
      • Jan 2001

My kids would just argue over which DVD to put in the player! I think it would be nice on long trips though. Once they all agree on a DVD it would keep them moderately quiet for a few hours anyway.

Ralph LaBarge
      Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
      Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
      rlabarge@alphadvd.com
      Ralph LaBarge
      Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
      Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
      rlabarge@alphadvd.com

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

One of the reason we take trips is to get the kid away from the TV. My son takes books on trips. To quote “In my day TV was called books”. We also discuss what we are seeing as we travel. This worries that in our society we think we must entertain kids all of the time.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mark I agree with you on this one...but then since I don't have kids yet its easy for me to say

Comment

• GregoriusM
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2000

I agree with Mark and Andrew. With my kids we'd always have some sort of game to play and it worked for quite long trips.

They have enough TV and video games at home, what with parents like ourselves! ;-)
            Gregor

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"