• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Digital piracy not harming entertainment industries: study

I thought this was pretty interesting and might spark some discussion :B

A new study by researchers at the London School of Economics suggests the music and movie industries have been exaggerating the impact that digital file sharing has had on their business and found that for some creative industries, copyright infringement might actually be helping boost revenues.

British researchers say music, movie industries have been helped by file sharing

A new study by researchers at the London School of Economics suggests the music and movie industries have been exaggerating the impact digital file sharing has had on their bottom line and found that for some creative industries, copyright infringement might actually be helping boost revenues.

Researchers within the British university's media department examined sales data and found that the music, gaming, movie and publishing industries are all growing and adopting new business models based on digital sharing.

The study found that internet-based revenues have been a significant component of the music industry's growth since 2004 as the industry has slowly adopted methods of distributing and consuming content modelled on those used by file-sharing services and sites such as BitTorrent, Pirate Bay and the now defunct Napster, which pioneered music file sharing in the 1990s.

"Contrary to the industry claims, the music industry is not in terminal decline but still holding ground and showing healthy profits," said study author Bart Cammaerts, senior lecturer in the LSE Department of Media and Communications, in a release. "Revenues from digital sales, subscription services, streaming and live performances compensate for the decline in revenues from the sale of CDs or records."

While it acknowledges that sales have stagnated in recent years, the report points out that the overall revenue of the music industry in 2011 was almost $60 billion US, and in 2012, worldwide sales of recorded music increased for the first time since 1999, with 34 per cent of revenues for that year coming from digital channels such as streaming and downloads.

"The music industry may be stagnating, but the drastic decline in revenues warned of by the lobby associations of record labels is not in evidence," the report says.

Had the record companies adapted to a digital environment earlier, rather than resisting it, they could have witnessed growth much earlier, the authors say.

Box office revenues bigger than ever

The same holds true for the movie industry, the researchers suggest. While sales and rentals of DVDs have declined — by about 10 per cent between 2001 and 2010 — global revenues have increased by five per cent in that same period. The U.S. film industry alone was worth a healthy $93.7 billion in 2012, the authors said.

"Despite the Motion Picture Association of America's claim that online piracy is devastating the movie industry, Hollywood achieved record-breaking global box office revenues of $35 billion US in 2012, a six per cent increase over 2011," the report says.

The video game and book publishing industries have also been successful at finding new revenue streams within the digital space and are making healthy profits, the report said. In 2013, the global book publishing industry was worth $102 billion, more than any of the other entertainment industries.

"Although revenues from print book sales have declined, this has been offset by increases in sales of e-books, and the rate of growth is not declining despite reports lamenting the 'end of the book'," the researchers write in their report.

Exclusive ownership outdated

The researchers make the argument that the digital culture that has sprung up around the file sharing of music, video games, movies and other content has spawned new models of producing and distributing creative content that don't rely on exclusive ownership of that content.

Creative Commons licences, for example, which allow artists to specify how their work is shared by the public, are increasingly being used by some musicians to release their content on music-sharing sites like SoundCloud, the report said.

"​The increasing variety of online creative practices means that some representatives of the creative industries are becoming less concerned about copyright infringement through individual file sharing," the authors write. "Many musicians share their music and are very happy for their fans to download their music, envisaging future sales.

The report points to the 10 million user-generated videos of Gangnam Style by South-Korean musician Psy that were created on YouTube after the original song was released and went viral as evidence that digital culture thrives on the ubiquitous sharing of digital content.

Illegal sharing can boosts legal sales

Entertainment industries are beginning to realize that the sharing of films and music online generates marketing benefits and sales boosts that often offset the losses in revenue from illegal sharing of content, the authors say.

The report points to the results of a consumer tracking study by the U.K. communications regulator Ofcom that found that file sharers in the U.K. spent more on content than those who only consumed legal content.

The growing use of streaming, cloud computing, so-called digital lockers that facilitate the sharing of content and sites that offer a mix of free and paid methods of getting content will, the study predicts, spur the entertainment industries to shift their focus from pursuing illegal downloading to creating more legal avenues for getting content online.

The LSE researchers urge countries like the U.K. and the U.S. to reform their copyright enforcement regimes, which they say are out of step with such developments and with online culture generally and do not necessarily even serve the interests of the creators they claim to be protecting.

"Insisting that people will only produce creative works when they can claim exclusive ownership rights ignores the spread of practices that depend on sharing and co-creation and easy access to creative works; this insistence privileges copyright owners over these creators," the report says.
    Link to study:

Jason
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I am very Leary when stats get used to make a point. Stats can be 'cooked' to back up almost anything nowadays. However, digital sharing is here to stay so the music and film industry might as well get used to it and work within that framework of reality. Hell, U2 tried to GIVE their album away on ITunes!! Where music is concerned, I believe most bands and musicians are getting most of their revenue from touring and skyrocketing ticket prices for their events, which most folks are eager and willing to pay. You can't download the 'live' effect right?? Right now on my android, I can download any song I want, new or old, using an app called GTunes in a matter of seconds. My 15 year old daughter gets most of her stuff on her IPhone using a You Tube to MP3 decoder tool that can take any song or video on You Tube (Which has everything folks!) and covert it to audio MP3 format easily.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by madmac
      I am very Leary when stats get used to make a point. Stats can be 'cooked' to back up almost anything nowadays.
      Frankly I'm more inclined to believe the results of an independent study done by a well respected educational institution over mega corporations who may try to mislead the consumer to justify the raising of prices, the lack of innovation, and the decrease of wages in their own limited interest.
      Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I am with Jason in this one, regardless of the 'exact' figures.

The 'entertainment' corporations are most certainly make health profits.
        Whether some of the so called 'costs' of piracy are added to the price or not.
        From a marketing standpoint, it is a sugar coating tactic for higher prices to the consumer.
        Last edited by wkhanna; 11 December 2014, 21:52 Thursday.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

While I'm quite sure I have music that is in some way "pirated" (borrowed CDs from friends to rip to HDD , etc..) , I'm afraid I'm stuck with the definitions of right and wrong given me a long time ago (in a galaxy far , far , away ) Taking something that doesn't belong to me is stealing. Even if it's taking a penny from a rich man it's stealing. I'm not judging anyone but myself , but there is a sense of guilt when I do wrong that won't be assuaged by the profits of my victim. I'm not defending the entertainment industry by any means , and they have pulled some lousy crap on the subject , but what's theirs is theirs.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I fear that today's business models are lining corporate pockets a lot more than artists pockets. Except for Actors, they make their money of course, or they don't do the films.

Many artists are complaining about today's outlets as not being enough for the musicians, and many are starving. I admit, I haven't bought any music in a very long time. I don't do the download thing, if I buy, it's a CD. But I listen to XM radio in my car, I guess artists make something there, is it enough for them? Not for me to decide. I am paying a price for music, ,who is getting that money, that part is not in my control.

It is true there is more "free" content than ever, or at least cheap content. But cheap doesn't mean free, and doesn't mean ripped off. So, I guess it is a changing world of entertainment. Some will win, some will lose.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

I for one, will always buy a CD of an artist who's CD I like. I'm a critical music listener and want the best audio quality I can get when listening to my favorite music at home. MP3 for me is a portable medium and although it sounds fine while walking around and on the go, I do not consider it high end audio. The real problem for me nowadays is FINDING something good enough to warrant buying!. Now THAT'S the challenge !!

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

The real problem for me nowadays is FINDING something good enough to warrant buying!. Now THAT'S the challenge !!
                Exactly! Crap "one hit wonder" type music is harming the industry more than anything else!
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I for one, will always buy a CD of an artist who's CD I like. I'm a critical music listener and want the best audio quality I can get when listening to my favorite music at home. MP3 for me is a portable medium and although it sounds fine while walking around and on the go, I do not consider it high end audio. The real problem for me nowadays is FINDING something good enough to warrant buying!. Now THAT'S the challenge !!
                  You can download (both legally and illegally) higher res music than any CD offers FWIW
                  Jason

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by aud19
                    You can download (both legally and illegally) higher res music than any CD offers FWIW
                    That my be true Jason but I guess what I'm also saying is that if something is really good, I have no trouble plopping down 20 bucks or so on a legit copy of their work to both own a physical copy of it, but to also support them for a job well done!

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Unfortunately 99% of that 20 bucks you plop down will go to the producer/record company rather than the artist them selves.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

That my be true Jason but I guess what I'm also saying is that if something is really good, I have no trouble plopping down 20 bucks or so on a legit copy of their work to both own a physical copy of it, but to also support them for a job well done!
                        The artist will get money from legally purchased high resolution downloads too. Many times actually more money.

It's certainly no reason not to buy them.
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"