sonotube sub, finish in carpet, headliner, or ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oxcartdriver
    • Apr 2006

sonotube sub, finish in carpet, headliner, or ...

I have completed the glue up on my sonotube sub this evening.

I've read of many using headliner to wrap the sonotube on the external surface.

Has anyone used carpet? I was considering using a low nap/pile carpet to wrap my tube. Are there reasons not to use carpet? What type of adhesive would you recommend if attaching carpet?

I'm already at 140lbs so a bit of extra weight in the carpet isn't a big deal at this point.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

You're really talking about personal preferences here. In general, I think carpet looks kind of cheesy (sorry Thomas). But I've seen subs covered in worse thinks- like linoleum flooring. :E Headliner is less bad. I went with a cotton cloth that has a little lycra or nylon in it to give some stretch, so it can be pulled to avoid wrinkles. I like it OK. I'm still trying to think of a way to do a decent wood veneer job on a sonotube...

My gal has some other ideas she keeps taunting me with. Like covering the sub with plastic mini golf grass. Or making it seasonal- hanging ornaments on it at Xmas, putting colored leaves all over it in the fall, etc. Her biggest threat is to drape white linen all over it and dub it the "weddingwoofer." :B

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonW

Her biggest threat is to drape white linen all over it and dub it the "weddingwoofer." :B
        I will be out on the next flight. Don't you fear, support is coming!

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
          I will be out on the next flight. Don't you fear, support is coming!
          Thanks. :B She just says that because she knows how ridiculous it is. She can't even say it with a straight face.

Comment

• wackii
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
            I have completed the glue up on my sonotube sub this evening.

I've read of many using headliner to wrap the sonotube on the external surface.

Has anyone used carpet? I was considering using a low nap/pile carpet to wrap my tube. Are there reasons not to use carpet? What type of adhesive would you recommend if attaching carpet?

I'm already at 140lbs so a bit of extra weight in the carpet isn't a big deal at this point.
            It's all personal preferences. I use speaker carpet on my sonotube and it looks great. Personally, I think the headliner is a little thin. Here is mines with the speaker carpet.

Al,

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You're really talking about personal preferences here. In general, I think carpet looks kind of cheesy (sorry Thomas).
              Hey I can't account for your lack of taste..... :B

Seen in the flesh Tube-Zilla never fails to impress....I didn't want a black monolith or I would have used black carpet.

People might also consider the carpet like stuff that's used to cover PA cabinets. It's much heavier than the stocking material or headliner.

The major benefit to using carpet is that if affords some impact protection to the rather fragile tube...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                The major benefit to using carpet is that if affords some impact protection to the rather fragile tube...
                And you get that cool 1970's look, to boot.
                :P

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

And you get that cool 1970's look, to boot.
                  :P
                  No Jon, our generation would have tie-dyed it!

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                    • Apr 2006

ok thanks for the tips. I'll probably start with a thin carpet as the color selection is much wider.

Comment

• David R.
                      • Apr 2003

Pic of my sono-tube.. What looks like a lighter/white area in the middle is just from the flash on the camera.. Solid oak top and bottom plates to match the speakers.. The black circle in the top is a grill/grill cloth to cover the port.

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

Yes, I used unbacked carpet (from P.E.) on my Tempest sonosub, It was easy, forgiving and inexpensive - what more can a D-I-Yer want? Look on my crude web site: http://www.geocities.com/indyhank1/index

Comment

• steve nn
                          • Jan 2006

Yes, I used unbacked carpet (from P.E.) on my Tempest sonosub, It was easy, forgiving and inexpensive - what more can a D-I-Yer want? Look on my crude web site:
                          Yip! I just bit the bullet and ordered 10 yards of the Jet Black speaker carpet. I'm hoping it will be easier to use. The last material I tried.. took a double layer (3 yards) and the lines still show :banghead:

Nice sub David. 8)
                          No Jon, our generation would have tie-dyed it!
                          :lol:

Comment

• WillyD
                            • Feb 2006

I am glad you just ordered that jet black carpet Steve, cause I was eyeing it last night.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"