X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

HDMI fans...

For all those that will sell their souls for HDMI...

• riceaterslc
    • Aug 2006

ooff Image Constraint Tokens sounds like it is going to be a ton of fun. glad i didnt blow thousands on a non-HDCP compliant display only to have it be the source of downconverted images in a few years... :duh:
    chris

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Exact issue for me. I have an HDMI compliant 56" RPTV and a DVI non-compliant projector. No digital picture on the big screen for me. I will have a newer PJ before ICT goes into effect, but still.

Even more annoying though, I was using my PS3 with the TV with component until this weekend. Now it is using the HDMI feed. Every time I go from the main control screen to watching a HD preview, or playing a game, there is about 3 seconds of static-green screen-weird block patterns as the HDMI handshake is re-negotiated. Component just went black for about 1 second. It's not a severe problem or anything, but it is annoying and ugly. Nice next generation interface.

Going back to component on the TV for day-to-day as soon as I can and for as long as ICT is inactive just because of that.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

B, that's odd about the delay for the handshake. It may be something specific to your setup as I'm not getting that when I switch between my HDMI input (high-def dish) and a component (DVD). It's generally a second or less and no funky images.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

HDMI...ICT... Bluray...HD-DVD... what a blooming mess. Maybe I'll just stick with standard dvd and good ol' analog component connections. PERIOD.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I think of ICT as the "Shoot self in foot" flag. As in, if/when the media companies start using it, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. There will be a backlash. Not only from those who have "non-compliant" gear, but also from those who have supposedly compliant gear that doesn't take well to ICT for whatever reason (bugs, compatibility glitches, etc).

Let's just hope they pull their heads out of their rears before they stick them far up enough to poke them back out between their shoulders again... :B

As for HDMI negotiation delays, I bet the majority of it is because of HDCP. Like Scotty once said, the more they overwork the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. :

Comment

• Pez
              • May 2004

I wouldnt sell my soul for HDMI but the sooner all the this junk gets sorted out the better. Yes its a bit of pain now but if they can get it "consumer friendly" to implement I know my HT will be the better for it.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I'm no fan, just an unwilling participant and I won't be upgrading every 2 years because of stupidity.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• gianni
                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Lex
                  I'm no fan, just an unwilling participant and I won't be upgrading every 2 years because of stupidity.
                  I think this sums it up nicely for lots of folks. What a sad state of affairs, much of which we can thank DRM for.

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                    B, that's odd about the delay for the handshake. It may be something specific to your setup as I'm not getting that when I switch between my HDMI input (high-def dish) and a component (DVD). It's generally a second or less and no funky images.
                    Not even switching inputs David. This is when using the PS3 alone, and simply going from one function of the PS3 to another which is running at a different resolution. I have mine set to output all resolutions up to 1080i (480, 720p and 1080i as neither my PJ nor my JVC HDILA RPTV take 1080p). The PS3 then outputs whatever max resolution works with whatever media is being output.

So for the main control screen it is putting out 1080i. For games, almost all are at 720p. For downloaded HD movie previews, some are 720p, some are 1080p (which are output at 1080i).

So whenever it select something that is 720p from the control screen, I get first a black screen, then a screen with random rectangles of mostly violet and some green, white and black, then somtimes a flash of all static, then the chosen media comes up. All due to re-negotiation between the JVC and the PS3.

Component had nothing like that, just a black screen that was up for maybe 1/4 as long, with an occasional flash of maybe 1% of the screen showing bits of static on a black background.

It's just really ugly and annoying, not really a problem. Something you would expect in a less developed system, not the newer, higher tech modern one.

BB

Comment

• DSGCobra
                      • Feb 2003

sounds like "normal" HDMI handshake issues. I was seeing some of the same on my Anthem D2 for a while (has been fixed with a beta FW upgrade). HDMI is new and reacts very differently with different components. Everything I have is up and running solid now but it did take some time.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Brandon B
                        Now it is using the HDMI feed. Every time I go from the main control screen to watching a HD preview, or playing a game, there is about 3 seconds of static-green screen-weird block patterns as the HDMI handshake is re-negotiated. Component just went black for about 1 second. It's not a severe problem or anything, but it is annoying and ugly. Nice next generation interface.

BB
                        EXACTLY my issue. I have HDMI and Component going from my Denon DVD into my Yamaha Reciever, HDMI from the reciever to the Plasma (with a DVI adapter)

When I use the component out on the DVD player all is well, when i switch to the HDMI out on the dvd player i get about 3 seconds of static green.
                        :roll:
                        B&W

Comment

• sokoban
                          • Apr 2006

I really hope someone starts making HDCP stripper boxes. Yes they will most likely illegal, but that is going to be one of the deciding factors for me when I'm looking to buy into the whole Blu-ray/HD-DVD thing.

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

There was a DVI distribution amp being mad over in Germany that stripped it, but it was a production error that was remedied, so the quantity of those floating around is limited.

BB

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"