X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greynolds
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Opinion Needed on CD/DVD upgrade

I need some honest opinions on what path to take on an upgrade, so please bear with me for a little background info...

I currently own a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 laserdisc player (and around 25 or so discs), an Onkyo DX-C606 6 disc CD changer, and a Sony DVP-S330 DVD player. For playing CD's, the Pioneer seems to be the best source.

Given that space in my equipment rack is at a premium and I rarely watch LD's anymore (and don't own all that many), I'm very seriously considering selling off my LD player and discs. At the same time, I'm also considering getting rid of the Onkyo CD changer (the sound quality is so so and my parents need a replacement player so they might get it). This would leave me with the Sony DVD player, which is not all that great at playing CD's.

Next, the video side of my system is really the weak point. My TV is a 7-8 year old 31" Mitsubishi TV with a composite/S-Video input (you can use 1 or the other but not switch between them). This means that until I upgrade my display device, the video portion of an upgraded DVD player would be largely wasted for now. I don't plan to upgrade the TV until it dies or HDTV sources (over the air, cable, satellite, etc.) become more available, which means I'll probably upgrade when the TV dies .

So here's the question:

Should I sell off my LD player and Onkyo CD changer and purchase (for example) a used Mark Levinson No. 37 CD Transport OR sell off all 3 components and purchase something like a Proceed PMDT?

Assuming it matters, the rest of my system (where it matters) consists of:

B&W Matrix 802 Series III, HTM, 804
    Velodyne HGS-18 Subwoofer
    Krell KAV-250a/3 (I have 2 of these)
    Krell KAV-250a
    Proceed AVP
    Good cables for where it matters (best sources to preamp, preamp to amps, amps to speakers).
    etc.

I'm leaning towards selling off the Pioneer LD and Onkyo CD and replacing it with a high end CD transport and then upgrading the DVD player later when I upgrade the rest of my video system. I'd just like to know what the rest of you think.

Thanks,

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Geoffrey Reynolds
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Hmmm, the possibilities.

How can you go wrong with Levinson? But mucho $$$

CAL Audio maybe?

Interim option- Sony S7000 CD/DVD player. Maybe 300 bucks? I have to say mine is a stellar performer. I heard that when these came out, some folks were buying them just for the CD transport. It's that good. Even the internal DACs, are nothing to sneeze at. I use them daily in my 2 channel setup with the Classe CP-35. Biggest complaint, mechanicals are a bit slow.

Also, Classe' CD player is a nice piece, very well constructed.

Just a few suggestions.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• greynolds
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Thanks for the suggestion Lex. If I replace the DVD player, it has to be with something that will pass DTS to my preamp, which rules out the 7000.

I can currently get a used (bought in 1996) No. 37 for around $2k, which seems fairly reasonable to me. If I go this route, it's unlikely that I'll ever want to upgrade the CD side of the equation again .

My hesitation in upgrading the DVD player at this point is that not only would I not be able to take advantage of the better video options for now, it could also be obsolete by the time I am able to make use of the better video.

A Proceed PDSD may be my best overall option, but I'd rather not spend $5k at the moment.

Geoffrey Reynolds
      Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Markj
        • Aug 2000

It is hard for us to second-guess your need for the LD player. There are still a few movies that have not come out on DVD that you might have on LD. If your collection can be replaced with DVD or you have no interest in watching the LD you do have then maybe it is time to free up some space in the rack.

Your system seems top notch so getting the Levinson is not out of place. It seems this is your current thinking. As you said when you upgrade the video thar will be a good time to pop for the DVD player. If the Sony is performing OK with your current TV I see no need to change it.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Yeah Geof(f) I wasn't really thinking about DVD at all, obviously.

Agreed, don't settle, as you haven't thus far. Get what you want, even if it takes a bit.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• greynolds
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

As to my need for the LD player, I've watched LD's on it only a few times in the last year and a half since I purchased the DVD player. AFAIK, the only movies I have on LD that are not currently available on DVD are the Star Wars trilogy, which I can live with for the time being (we all know that they'll be available eventually). There aren't too many other movies available on LD and not on DVD that I really care about.

I have however used the LD player a fair amount to listen to CD's for the reasons I already mentioned. Obviously if I purchase something like a ML No. 37, this issue becomes moot .

Someone at work suggested replacing all 3 players with a Sony DVP S9000ES. Not a bad suggestion, but it puts me back in the position of the DVD player possibly being obsolete when it is time to upgrade my display device.

Decisions, decisions...

Geoffrey Reynolds
            Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Geoffrey, I think you shouldn't worry about combining the two functions. Get yourself the best CD player you can, and the best DVD player you can that does what you need to do now. Later, when the display is upgraded, get that ultimate DVD player. Technology could have advanced by then, and you won't forgo that opportunity.

CD technology likely won't change as much as DVD. Some say the SACD is even so much better on standard CDs as well, so maybe that's the right option.

That's the best advice I have.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

I second the SACD/CD player suggestion. Sony has some reasonably priced multichannel players out (or coming out). The DVD player can always wait until later, though I doubt any decent progressive scan player will really be obsoleted by display devices in the forseeable future.
                Someone at work suggested replacing all 3 players with a Sony DVP S9000ES. Not a bad suggestion, but it puts me back in the position of the DVD player possibly being obsolete when it is time to upgrade my display device.
                The 9000ES is a great progressive (and interlaced) DVD player, a great CD player, and a a great 2-channel SACD player all in one, with ES build quality and a 5 year warranty. If you want multichannel SACD or CD-R compatibility, check out the forthcoming Sony DVP-NS900V. It's not a ES model, but it combines a progressive DVD player with multichannel SACD.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                My HT Site

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"