X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zztopp
    • Feb 2004

DVD player upgrade

Hello guys this is my frist post. Iam an the process of upgrading mydvd player which is a toshiba sd5700 the toshiba is ok for video but not dvdaudio. I have auditioned the rotel 1060 and denon2900 the rotel out performed denon hands down. But before i buy the rotel can you recomned another dvd player and this price range that i should audition .Iwill be appreciative of any advice given.
  • jfinneru
    • Nov 2003

I use the pioneer 668( it maybe a different name i the us) with my 1098/1090/1095 equipment. it's a great player and it will play everything! also have a hdmi output

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
    brgds joern

Comment

• cadman
      • Sep 2003

Hes talking about quality dvdplayers not crap
      the video on the pioneer 668 is really bad on a 57inch tv component
      the denon2900 is much better but price much higher

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
        • Sep 2002

Try the Marantz DV8400 or their new high class DV12S2.
        Both are universal DVD-A/SACD player, with excellent sound and picture quality.

Comment

• apotts
          • Jan 2004

Less expensive:
          Arcam DV88+ or DV89
          Denon DVD A11

Expensive:
          Arcam DV27A
          Denon DVD A1

Might have slightly different model numbers depending on where you live...

Andrew

Comment

• Mary
            • Jun 2003

I researched as much as I could. And made the decision to go with a Yamaha DVD S 2300 universal player. I am liking it alot. I had narrowed it down between the Denon 2900 and the Yamaha and went with it. The Denon had slighty highter ratings. (It was a tough decision) The deciding factors for the Yamaha... the 2 dealers -that are independent of eachother- that I deal with both told me they are having trouble getting dennon parts. And a very good price on the Yamaha helped the decision along also.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I'd say it's between Denon and Yamaha too. Yamaha's new models should be coming out over the next couple months as well...so stay tuned...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• zpanky
                • Mar 2003

Do you currently have a DVD-Audio player? If you don't I would recommend you go out and look at the available DVD-Audio Discs. I bought the 1060 and in my opinion, there are far greater selection of quality SVCD discs. I do think the 1060 is fabulous. I will tell you that you need to give it at least two weeks of break in time. I was really dissapointed at first as there was a huge difference between the 1060 and my 10 year old CD player. Now, the 1060 is every bit as good. My only regret is the lack of SACD support, and in hindsight, I probably would have rather spent less on the DVD player and reallocated $$'s to other parts of my HT budget (such as a front pj)

Comment

• jfinneru
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by cadman
                  I must say people making this kind of reply looses my respect very fast. no reason to say other peoples equipment is crap just because you don't like it and without any arguments why. maybe you little 57inch tv is to crappy to do the 668 justice.. a recent test in hi-fi news magazine rated both the 668 and the 868 in front of denon dvd-a11 so I doubt it's all that "crappy"

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• Ken Smith
                    • Jan 2004

I haven't see the Rotel 1060 yet but you might want to check out the Pioneer Elite 59 AVi. It's been getting better reviews than the Denon 2900 and can be bouight for about $976.00- $998.00. It retails for $1600.00. Just make sure you buy from an authorized site.

Comment

• zztopp
                      • Feb 2004

thanks for the reply guys. but iam going to take ken smith's advice and check out the pioneerelite59avi. and if iam not satisfied I will wait until the end of the year or may be next year by this time the denon 5900 will drop an price or rotel will have a universal player.

Comment

• cadman
                        • Sep 2003

well I am sorry if I offented you ( jfinneru) but I tryed that 668 at my house
                        and the picture was really bad I like the price but I could not live with it
                        so I bring it back to the store it has a 54Mhz video and the progressive
                        was really bad (again wath ever turn you on)

Comment

• jfinneru
                          • Nov 2003

I don't think we talk about the same player cadman. the 668 has a 216mhz/12 bitvideo dac. it's the little brother of the player you guys call elite59avi. it doesn't have the i-link ( who needs it..) it also have 192kHz/24bit Burr-Brown PCM1738 DA-converters on all 6 outputs for sound.

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• shadow
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jfinneru
                            I must say people making this kind of reply looses my respect very fast. no reason to say other peoples equipment is crap just because you don't like it and without any arguments why. maybe you little 57inch tv is to crappy to do the 668 justice.. a recent test in hi-fi news magazine rated both the 668 and the 868 in front of denon dvd-a11 so I doubt it's all that "crappy"
                            A"crappy" response to your good faith recommendation. The bane of the internet will be the thoughtless and ignorant flames tossed by people who would never talk that way to anyone face to face. ops:

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Ho ZZ, if we go to another player besides Rotel, this is no longer a Rotel topic. Moving to Home Theater.

Lex
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bam!
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by shadow
                                Originally posted by jfinneru
                                A"crappy" response to your good faith recommendation. The bane of the internet will be the thoughtless and ignorant flames tossed by people who would never talk that way to anyone face to face. ops:
                                Cadman! I think you meant to say that you were not happy with the pioneer you thought was the player they were talking about...right? You know the one thing I like about HtGuide is everyone is very repectful towards each other and towards gear in general ...let`s keep it that way!!!

It is just audio...don`t get your panties bunched up! alright.

Bam!
                                Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

The crap statement was a bit much.

We haven't had to chastize people here at The Guide very often. And importantly, we are proud of that. Let's keep a civil tone to the posts. Got it?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                  Our "Theater"
                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Now that's out of the way. . . .

Mary, I'd like to second your recommendation of the Yamaha S2300. I'd like to hear what the results are from a comparison between it and the Rotel.

Sincerely,

Noted Yamaha Fan

David - HTGuide flunky
                                    Our "Theater"
                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Mary
                                      • Jun 2003

I had read reviews of Rotel DVD and good results were given. But I didn't dig to deep with it. I would have most likely added a Rotel to my other Rotel pieces but I was in the market for a universal player. Therefore, the Yamaha- based on the info given in my previous post.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                        • Jan 2002

Hey zztop and welcome to htguide!

Have you checked out the DVD Benchmark site? You might get some ideas from there.

There are some excellent reviews below the ratings and I believe this link includes DVD players tested through December 2003. I didn't look to see if the Rotel was tested but the 2900 is and many of Denon's players are near the top.

Personally I own the Denon 2900 and absolutely love it for audio and video. It replaced a Toshiba SD4700.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"