X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

When Your Movie Collection Is Too Big

When it's too big and you don't have a database( as I referred to in another thread) you start to do stupid things like buying the same DVD title twice. I had purchased A Bridge Too Far a couple of years ago, then recently I saw it at a really low price and bought it again. It was one of those titles that I had first on tape, then on LD and then (2) on DVD. I have a couple of other titles I bought twice,too. Luckily I was able to sell them to a friend, but at a loss.Any of you people out there ever do that ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

george well when your collection is as small as mine its easy to keep tabs on things In many ways I wish I had your problem LOL

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

What's really bad is when you already have the movie but buy it again anyway, even when you know you have it, lol. I actually picked up a spare of one of my favorites just in case the original bit the dust.

As to memory, short of a list you check twice, what else can you do? When you have 600-1000 titles, who can remember then all? Myself, at 300-350, I can remember most of what I have. Put it this way, if I can't remember, then I don't need it anyway.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• pf
        • Oct 2000

Oops, add a DVD rack to my 'need to do' list. Already have three of those cheap 4 (or 5 I'm not sure) level racks filled up and will need a fourth one.

PF

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Now that's what I call a large collection. Anybody know of a good program that could fit on a Palm that can store just the DVD's you already have?

I've actually thought of buying movies that I already own, just because they are such a good deal. My collection is still small enough that I know what I have. But give it a couple of years and then I may have the same problem.

Rack wise, I'm doing okay, since I've moved over some CD's to a new rack that I bought over the weekend. I've got some room to fit more DVD's.

So does your rack look bare when you buy a new one and you just have to start filling it up?
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I don't think it is possible for one's collection to ever be too large! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

That's too funny George...

Another indicator that you have a big DVD collection is when you have titles that you can't remember the story line to, because it's convoluted by the amount of DVDs you have to remember in your collection

Paul, couldn't you input the titles as a spead sheet entry on the Palm? I know the CE based systems have their own versions of Excel.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• GregoriusM
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2000

There are a few DVD/CD collection apps for the Palm OS.
                Gregor

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Bing-
                  I'm also having that "remembering the storyline problem." But that's okay, because rewatching a movie refreshes your memory. Sometimes I find myself saying," Gee, did I really watch this one before ?"

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• pf
                    • Oct 2000

At this point I can still go by my memory which movie I MAY have without the help of computer software tracking but eventually this aging memory of mine will run out of space just like my DVD racks. One thing that will help is if I can somehow organize my collection alphabetically so I can check on a particular movie quick but even that I am procrastinating.

My immediate problem is the percentage of unviewed movies in my collection is growing... Not enough time I guess.

As for your ? Paul. No, I usually move some DVD's from the full racks to at least the bottom shelf of the new one both to avoid the bare look and for stability for those racks I use are fairly cheap (<$20 ea from BB or Wally World) and can be easily knocked over.

PF

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

George, that's my problem, my collection isn't big enough for me to forget

I thought about the "unopened" parameter, however that can be based on time comittment as well. Come to think about it, if a person has more than say 5, unopened DVD's, that could indicate your collection is bigger than you require it to be. Unless you collect for the sake of collecting and don't care to watch them, then yes, that would work.

Maybe when you have more DVD's (1:1) than the local video rental store? Nah, that would be nirvana and just right!

How about not being able to say, "I have nothing to watch" ...

Maybe you can never have enough, but when you do as George does, it's an indicator that you have more than most :B

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

• John Wilson
                        • Aug 2000

I would be interested in hearing about some Palm OS applications to track DVD/CD collections.

Timing is Everything
                        Timing is Everything

Comment

• KennyG
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2000

it can NEVER be to big...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Right, Kenny. I just started filling up a new empty rack today.

My Homepage!
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                              Office Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Just wanted to say that I've hit the 200 DVD mark. And I've bought more DVD's to date than I bought all of last year. I need to find a new rack.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                              Paul

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

200 - Terrific,Paul. Maybe if I slow down some, you will catch up over the next couple of years.Did you start when dvd first came out? I was probably one of the first to buy a dvd player and a disc when they first came out in this part of the country.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2000

Actually, I think your collection is to big when you start buying movies you realize you'll only watch once more in your life...or never watch again.
                                  I try to give most movies I dislike one more chance.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Yeah, I've got a few of those. When dvd first came out I bought everything in sight. Some of those titles have only been watched once.One of the local dealers here used to have a trade bin for laserdiscs. I'm hoping someone starts one for dvds. Then I can unload some of those "view one time" titles in my collection.

My Homepage!
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                                      Office Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

George: I'd say give me a decade or so, and then I might have a chance. No, I started in May of '99, but I did see the first batch of DVD's in the Seattle test market. I was ready to go buy one, but not having a player would have been quite the problem. On an interesting note, I saw a license plate with DVD 360 I'm going to have to search out the broker that has the DVD initials. What's even better is that the new plates have the numbers first, even better. I'd like to get a plate that says 999 DVD

Kenny: I'm actually rethinking my buying habits again. Espeically as studios rererelease their titles. It's just that there are so many titles that I would love to watch again.

Just for stats sake. I've added 76 titles to my collection this year, and I've got about 69 titles still to watch. And titles include season sets. But for titles that I've never seen at all, I've only got about 20 of those. Those are on the top of my to view list.
                                      Paul

Comment

• KennyG
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Sep 2000

Paul, I'm finding that I'm replacing alot of titles at this time. All these improved transfer releases are killing me.
                                        In fact I have many titles that got one viewing, now a better transfer has, or is being released, and here I am buying it again...one viewing is not a good return on my money. However now that I have a large screen, the improved transfers make a world of difference, so there is a certain justification.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"