X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

What's in your Criterion Collection?

As you're all probably aware, the Criterion Collection puts out interesting titles across genres, periods and countries of origin--often being the only way to view a number of foreign titles. It is a North American focus (region locked) as it is a boutique licensee of films that have different arrangements in other parts of the world. They essentially invented the "extras" that accompany DVDs/BDs, back in the days of laserdisc and the extras are usually quite informative, even scholarly in some cases (not just "pat everyone on the back" featurettes).

Over the years, I've accumulated about 40 Criterion titles (some of which are, sadly, out of print--the movies are almost all available in other releases, but the Criterion editions are out of print) and I continue to add to my collection. No doubt, the same is true of a number of you.

I thought, for the purposes of discussing films, it would be a good idea to have running thread on Criterion titles. Time permitting, I'd like to watch at least one release, with all its extras, per month and comment in this thread. I also invite and encourage any and all of you who have Criterion titles at your disposal (either in your collection or easily available via rental or library) to do the same. Of course, no need to commit to watching all the extras if time doesn't permit (or if you're not so inclined). The movie is the most important thing.

The first one I plan to view, for this thread, is The Hidden Fortress (dir. Akira Kurosawa). I've not seen it (only recently acquired it) but I look forward to it. It is said to have been a major influence on George Lucas and the making of Star Wars.

Looking forward to find out what's in all of your Criterion Collections.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Well things haven't exactly gone according to plan with my Criterion idea (though I hope to do it fully in the new year). However, I did a Criterion double-bill today and each film was quite good. First up was Charade. Can't really go wrong with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in glorious hi-def. Can't believe I'd not seen this before today. Next up was Sweet Smell of Success. Another great one I'd not seen before. Didn't have time for more than one extra--a piece on Walter Winchell (famous gossip columnist in NYC who was the inspiration for the columnist played by Burt Lancaster). Will definitely revisit these two films.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Watched another one from Criterion. Rififi--excellent French film from 1955. The archetypal heist movie (basically every elaborate heist movie you've seen made after this one is modelled, at least in large part, on it). There is a 30 minute stretch with no dialogue where the heist is being pulled off that is a master class in building suspense. Outstanding film and fully justifies my "blind buy" of the Blu-ray.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Continuing through my growing pile of Criterion releases, I watched Badlands by Terrence Malick. I'm a big fan (I own all of his films save one--to be fair, that means I own five movies by him). He's clearly not to everyone's taste and that's perfectly understandable. I believe it was Roger Ebert who described his films as "tone poems"--a very apt description. His movies are, arguably, purer cinema than 99% of movies. By that, I mean Malick doesn't rely on literary or theatrical conventions of narrative, plot and so on. He uses image and sound in a way that reminds me more of symphonic or chamber music than a play or novel. (I'm not trained in the arts, so I don't know if I'm making any sense). Definitely not a filmmaker for those who value plot driven stories or highly faithful adaptations of literature. But for anyone who wants to experience an unconventional form of cinema, Malick's films are worth trying. And if nothing else, the imagery will be beautiful (even those who do not like his films will grant him this one aspect).

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

A Hard Day's Night (2014) (Blu-ray)

This was filmed 50 years ago (in 1964) but looks like it was made yesterday. Lovely quality.

Nigel.
          Attached Files

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
            A Hard Day's Night (2014) (Blu-ray)

This was filmed 50 years ago (in 1964) but looks like it was made yesterday. Lovely quality.

Nigel.
            FUN!! would love to see that!
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I remember seeing this in theater when it first opened.

Yikes!:E
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"