X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Cable Box issues/questions

I have a couple of questions about the below cable box my cable company cant even answer.

1. In the advanced setup menu there is an option called "4:3 Overide" and the choices are 480i, 480p or stretch.

I already have "TV screen type set to 16:9 (because mine is)" and output set to 1080i.

2. For some reason since I go my new cable box I can only set the sound options on my Processor to Dolby settings i.e. Dobly Digital 2.0; DD PL11 (music or cinima); Dolby Digital. I can not set to settings like 5 Channel stereo. This is not something I had an issue with in my last cable box. Any ideas?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

My guess would be that because you have your TV type set to 16:9 already, everything is going to be output to widescreen. So the "4:3 override" would be choosing how you want to have 4:3 material output to your widescreen TV. I'm guessing that by choosing "stretch" it will do just that to 4:3 material, stretching it to fit your screen, and the other two will put black bars on the sides to keep it displayed as actual 4:3.

No idea on the sound issue.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
      My guess would be that because you have your TV type set to 16:9 already, everything is going to be output to widescreen. So the "4:3 override" would be choosing how you want to have 4:3 material output to your widescreen TV. I'm guessing that by choosing "stretch" it will do just that to 4:3 material, stretching it to fit your screen, and the other two will put black bars on the sides to keep it displayed as actual 4:3.

No idea on the sound issue.
      thanks for your reply. I am thinking it just over rides it since I have 16:9, your right. Makes me wonder why they have the "stretch option at all? If I have it set to 16:9 then it steches.

with regards to sound Im guess that since its DD it only lets me choose DD settings..maybe for copy protection? For example if you play a DVD with a DD sound track you are unable to switch to 5 channel stereo.
      Last edited by Chris D; 22 July 2015, 02:06 Wednesday.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

2. For some reason since I go my new cable box I can only set the sound options on my Processor to Dolby settings i.e. Dobly Digital 2.0; DD PL11 (music or cinima); Dolby Digital. I can not set to settings like 5 Channel stereo. This is not something I had an issue with in my last cable box. Any ideas?

My HT receiver will only process audio in the same format as received. My HD cable channels are Dolby Digital D (most DVDs , too) and most everything else goes PL II. Example: I can't set my receiver to PL II if the source is DVD or HD cable. Of course , I have a cheap receiver so this may bear no relevance to your situation Just thought I'd toss it out there.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"