X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Sunday was "Total HT" day!

My sweetie is on vacation for 4 more weeks, and I've decided to keep my Liquid Coupled projector, I am now convinced the picture is noticably better than my Air Coupled unit's.
    Unfortunately for those of us that owned AC'ed projectors first, the LC'ed unit need a longer throw distance.
    I decided to bite the bullet.
    I hired my daughter's boyfriend for the day, he arrived at 10am, I made breakfast burritos, then we went to work.
    First on the agenda, remove the Hushbox, it's frame, the projector, and the hot air evac piping.
    Next, setup projector for tabletop mode, decrease H-amplitude, do quick and dirty mechanical convergence, and move projector back and forth on movable table looking for 1" of screen overscan. Found it, measured it, transfered measurements to ceiling.
    Time to reinstall ceiling mount, evac piping, and hushbox ceiling mount, all 4" back from original positions, lastly install projector (135lbs) and hushbox cover. (about 60lbs)
    Things are starting to take shape, all prior holes are filled (Lucky I kept the ceiling piece made by the 4" hole saw for evac piping)
    That's the end of the grunt work...time to "Normalize" all Convergence and Focus settings.
    Everything's set to "0" (or centered) electonically, now all mechanical Convergence & focusing can be done.
    Add Kenny's special "Duct Tape Cooling Mod", might as well, outer covers are off, it's the perfect time.
    Install all outer covers on projector, lock hushbox in operating position, we're ready to move on!
    Last step, all electronic adjustments: Focus (9 zones per gun), Tilt(using Level), Bow, Amplitude, Linearity, Keystone, Pin Cushion, Linear Balance, Pin-Balance, RGB Point, and Point Convergence...for all guns
    Cost, $40 and a burrito...time, 10 hours.
    See, who says front projection isn't fun?
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Impressive Kenny! Heck, I would have still been trying to figure out how to get the projector out of the box, and your terminology is way over my head. Ain't life simple with RPTVs? lol.

I was on the golf course, see TTP for storyline.

It was hot, and as I finished the round, so was I. lol.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Too funny!
      That terminology, you'd have it down in a week if you had to deal with one of these things...once you start "playing" with one, it's an easy learning process.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

You've been a busy fella. Isn't this a great hobby.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Gosh, Kenny, I hate to think how long it would take for me to find enough time to do something like that. And I'm not sure I'd trust my daughter's current boyfriend!

Glad it went so smoothly.

Mit freundlich gruessen aus Deutscheland,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Kenny, I think he just called you a name, lol. Nice to see you around Jon, even from parts unknown. :B

He's like a fixture around here, no matter whether the lights are on, somebody's at home.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

No...I think he swore at me!!!

This is an ongoing saga, I'm having trouble with Blue gun convergence in the lower left corner of the screen, so the above was step one...getting the throw distance correct. It didn't solve the problem (we knew it wouldn't)
              So I have now had to "lobotomize" my projector and start all over, this removed the possibility of software conflicts.
              Once unit is lobotomize all Mechanical adjustments are done...you've got Astig (cpc magnets) Focus, Convergence, and Tilt....then all the electronic adjustment start over, all told, 7 hours from lobotomy to being able to watch a movie again.
              Did this fix the problem...No
              Was it worth the time...Yes, picture looks better than ever, and all my electronic settings are closer to center than before (this means mechanical was done better than before)
              I've now isolated the problem down to the C-Drive board...I can swap one of the Blue gun's connectors with the Green gun's and the problem follows the Green gun! So I'm getting close!
              My HT lifesaver is sending a C-Drive board to me to try, if it works great, if not I just send the board back.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"