Help choose my projector purchase - Infocus 5000, Sanyo Z3, Panasonic AE700, others?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Help choose my projector purchase - Infocus 5000, Sanyo Z3, Panasonic AE700, others?

Okay, I'm at the end of my very long home theater project, and am finally going to buy a projector. Help me decide which one to go with!

I've been looking for a projector I can get under $2500 end price that can show 720p minimum resolution pictures on a 16:9 format image. Here's what I'm working with:

- Image would be shown on a 119" diagonal (very large) Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Perf screen with 1.1 gain. Because of this, I'm wondering if brightness output is an issue, with light loss due to the acoustical perforation.

- Room is roughly 12' by 22', 8' ceilings, and can be completely light controlled if necessary.

- Projector would be ceiling mounted anywhere necessary. I have a second row of seating on a riser, so I would prefer a low-profile mount that would not hang down much. I also have to buy a mount, which would be a factor for cost.

- Projector would be used for mostly DVD video upconverted by the DVD player over DVI/HDMI. Would also show HDTV from a HD satellite player over DVI/HDMI.

I've been looking the most at the Infocus 5000, Sanyo PLV-Z3, and Panasonic AE700 projectors, but am open to other models if they're competitive and in the price range. Because of various sales right now, all three of these models end up being very close in price. There's even a $200 manufacturers rebate on the Panny right now.

Input? Suggestions? Anybody have one of these to donate? Thanks!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Jason R
    • Jul 2004

I upgraded from panasonic 500 to 700 about 3 weeks ago, and have been very happy. I was happy with the 500 but ended up someone wanted to buy it and i got a great deal on the 700 so it was worthwhile.

When i first purchased the 500 i considered the Z2 but it did not have dvi so i went for the panasonic. The Z3 vs 700 is still pretty much the same, the panasonics smooth scren technology is a big plus as i cant see any screen door at all.

The screen i am using is 82" diag, and has a gain of 1:1 so it's pretty close to what you will be using. If you have control over lighting i am sure any of those choices will serve you well. The Vertical banding spoken of on the 700 has not cropped up on my machine and straight out of the box it blew my well setup 500 and subsequently has only gotten better. It also has lens shift which is a bonus if you want to mount it higher up, as well as a short throw lens so you can get pretty big images from close up.

The specs on the sanyo and pana are so close, i woudl get a quote on lamp prices for each in your area and make my decision based on which will last longer and be cheaper to replace. I think around here the sanyo lamps are way more and the panasonic 700 claims 3000 hours for the lamp so it might be a winner with the $200 rebate. The last thing you want is to save now and pay way more later.

Personally and this is just my opinion i steer clear of lower priced DLP and go for the LCD as once you have bought the product and don't like something you cannot just change it so i stick to the pinnacle of technology for LCD as opposed to DLP engineered down to a price.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

I also have the AE700 and love it, very bright and wonderful HD picture. The other models are good as well, unless you are going to set close to the screen, which is why I went for the AE700 as I set only about 11' from the screen and the AE700 has zero screen door effect where the others have quite a bit. If you are setting 15' or more away and fan noise is not an issue then all the projectors you mention should be about the same from my research. The Sony HS 51 is also a good choice with slightly better blacks from my understanding.
      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• freon
        • Mar 2005

When i first purchased the 500 i considered the Z2 but it did not have dvi so i went for the panasonic
        My Z2 Has DVI-I
        My Media room construction page

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Hi Chris ,
          I saw the AE 700u on display at my local store last week and was blown away by the bang for the buck as far as PQ goes and more importantly my wife was with me and she wants it too!Having seen it I did some research on www.projectorcentral.com and other sites and was amazed by the reviews etc.If you have not already seen it projector central has a three way review including some of the other models you list I think and they seem to use the AE700u as a bench mark at its price point.The customer reviews were all positive and even those who had minor probs with VB etc said they would not swap it.Of the others you list I have only seen the infocus 5000 but it was shown in such a way that I dont think it was done justice.
          Brendon

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I took the plunge and just ordered the Panny AE700 for a FANTASTIC deal. Best I've seen anywhere, and with a $200 rebate. I think I'll be real happy.

Now I just have to decide between the Denon 2910 and the 3910 DVD players!
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new PJ Chris!!
              Good Stuff! :T
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Have fun with the new toy, Chris. Let us know what you think after it's up and running.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

Chris, I think that you made a great choice with the Panny AE700.

I've been totally happy with my Infocus SP5000 on a perforated 0.85 gain, 180" Grayhawk screen, but I would have definitely considered the AE700 if it were closer in price when I was looking.

I'm sure that you will be more than pleased with the end-result that you get with your new projector!

-Dean.

Comment

• brendon
                    • Aug 2004

Hi Chris , If you have not already taken delivery you may wish to ensure you have the latest firm ware version as it fix the few minor niggles this PJ had .The Ausssie forum I saw this on mentions ver1.07 if I remember correctly and it appears it must be done at a sevice agent as a jig is required .Some sort of upgrade carried out as well?.Check out www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=15475
                    Brendon

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Thanks, brenden, that's a great thought. I bought the Panny from the Projector People who say that it ships with the most recent software version, 1.07. So I certainly hope that it shows up as current as can be! You're right, people have talked about jaggies and I think "white flashes" taken care of by the new version.

Dean, sounds good! I'm impressed, though, are you able to get enough brightness on a .85 gain 180" screen? That seems like quite a challenge!
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"