X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericschirm
    • Jul 2004

Last chance before drywall- please review

I just ordered the drywall so this is my last chance for any changes. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

The room is 18.5 x 12.5 x (10ft ceilings but will have to drop 1 ft because of pipes, frame & sheetrock) with a storage closet and a double window. I haven't decided on a projector yet (4805 or Z2) so I am sure of the exact location of the ceiling mount. I would like atleast a 98" to 105" screen. My front row (old movie theater seats) will only be approx 9' and then my back row will be at 15' (6' of riser- will that be enough room for theater seating?).

I have insulated the walls and the ceiling joists with R19 insulation and then a layer of roofing material. The ceiling was then framed and another layer of r13 insulation on top.

- Should I put another layer of R13 insulation in the ceiling frame?

I have pre-wired for a 8.1 setup. I also have RG6 runs in each corner of the room for a sub (most likely front left corner). My AV rack (dedicated 20 amp outlet) is built in the wall and I have conduit pipes running from the AV rack to where the projector will be located in the ceiling for wiring. I also have a dedicated 20amp outlet for the projector in the ceiling (I also put one on the back wall just in case).

I plan on building a riser for the back row so I have a 12/2 romex coming out where the riser will be for future rope lights. I also wired RCA/s-video from the riser position to the projector location. I ran 2 12ga cl3 speaker wires from the AV rack to the riser for Bass shakers.

I will have 4 wall scones and 5 can lights wired to remote controlled dimmers (on a dedicated 20 amp outlet).

One more addition- IR repeater system. I am ordering a Xantech 291 kit.

What am I missing?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE INPUT

Unfortuntely my breaker box is in the HT room.

Where it all began-

Last edited by ericschirm; 14 December 2004, 09:07 Tuesday.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Eric, welcome to The Guide! :welcome:

It doesn't sound like you've missed much at all. :T You've got the lights on a separate circuit from the components. You've got an extra circuit for expansion later (amps?). You've got plenty of room between the seating. Nice job of planning.

Yes, if you have room and funds, more insulation never hurt anything.

You MIGHT make your riser 9" or maybe a foot just to give plenty of line-of-sight clearance for the back row. Mocking it up should show if 6" is enough.

Sometimes, dimmer switches cause an audible hum. You might want to try and verify whether the ones you are using are susceptible.

If possible, keep your speaker, interconnect and electrical runs at least 24" from each other to prevent interference. If you have to cross runs, make sure the intersections are at right angles (90 degrees).

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What am I missing?
      Whole house surge protection?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• glangston@socal
        • May 2004

The most important thing

and I wished I'd thought of it.

The Popcorn Machine.

If I'd started with that there's no telling how much the wife would have let me spend. :W

Comment

• lzk4
          • Sep 2004

I'm getting my basement finished and I want to get a audio rack built-in to the wall below the stairs. We will have a small closet beneath the stairs, and I wanted to recess the rack into that closet, so its flush with the wall on the outside.
          Can I ask you what kind of rack you built-in? Did you build one yourself or buy one. Any ideas on cost and time (if you built it) would be great
          Thanks
          Vasu

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi Vasu, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I built mine into the wall but with a twist. It's more of a closet that allows me to put my entire Lovan Classic II rack - shot filled legs, etc - into it with the rack's steel pointed feet resting directly on the concrete. This was all rolled into construction of an entire theater room, so I can't give you an exact cost, but for what you are describing, counting wood (shelving, walls, trim), hardware, paint, sandpaper, and the like, you could build a sweet in-wall rack for $150 or so. Add on for glass shelves, adjustable shelf supports, heavier wood to support larger components, wiring runs. . . . are we having fun yet?

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Eric,

The front seating seems very close to the screen and the back seating far away. The 6' horizontal distance between seating rows may be larger than necessary.

Typical viewing distances from a 104" diag screen would be 11'3" to 15' (based on viewing distances of 1.5 to 2.0 times screen width, mine's 1.65).

There's no absolute right or wrong, and whatever distance you prefer is the best one - just some food for thought ..

Paul

Comment

• CJ Paul
                • Oct 2004

I hope I can add a little value here. I'd say the most common mistake of new projector owners is too big of a screen. I did my screen DIY and boy am I glad I did. I am sitting WAY too close. I'm 8'-9' away from a 96" (diag) screen. In my new house I am going to shoot for MUCH closer to a 2:1 screen width:seating distance ratio. I would recomend checking out some A/V stores and figuring out what their ratio is. Also take into account that generally you would want to sit farther from a "budget" projector (like my Sony VPL HS-10) than you would from a $10k projector, because you need to be more forgiving with a cheaper projector. Just dont go overboard because of the cool factor. The only other thing I would add is carfully consider "rowed" seating vs. a conventional L-shaped layout or something different. I have two rows of seating (2nd row on a risor) and it can make the movie watching experience very non-involving for groups, which against my intent for the room. Something else I intend to rectify in my new house.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                  • Oct 2002

If you do an in-wall rack, don't forget to plan it for proper ventilation and cooling. My rack is sealed in the back of the room and it was getting really hot really fast with the projector, the Bryston 4BSST and Anthem Statement P5 pumping some serious heat...

I had to install an air return in the hushbox and in the rack with an in-line duct fan (far from the HT), and 4 SilentX fans to keep everything cool down.

CJ Paul gave you some good advices also concerning viewing distance from the screen. My 1st row is at 1.25X screen widht and my second row at 1.75X. You have to plan this carefully with the projector and technology you will choose. In my case, I have to be at 1' from the screen before seeing any pixel structure... So I could have sit alot nearer to the screen, but my wife was not confortable sitting at 7-8' from a 110" screen...

Like ThomasW I always recommand the installation of a whole house surge protection if you are going to have an electrician do some works on your electrical system.

If you want to see some photos and details about my HT construction fell free to go there and click on the "Details" tab on the higher left corner.

Have fun.
                  To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• ericschirm
                    • Jul 2004

It has been a long year but my Home Theater is almost complete. It felt great installing the lights!! The next couple of weekends will be spent putting up trim, speakers and hopefully mounting my projector.

I will have 2 rows of seating. The back row (on 12" riser) will be 15.5ft from the screen and the front row will be close- 9ft. The front row will mostly be for kids but will SDE be distracting for them? Since they are not videophiles I am not concerned with perfection BUT will it be watchable? I plan on having a 100"-110" screen and the main projector I am looking at is the Panasonic AE700u (for price, benefits, screen distance). I will be breaking the 1.5x rule for the front row but every review I have read says that the smoothscreen works well at close distance.

Also, I would like to shelf mount the projector at 17ft.. My room dimensions are 12.5x18.5x9.

Get the best of SEO, WordPress, and Blogging with detailed guides, reviews, and comparisons articles. With our insightful articles select the right products and follow our tested strategies to grow your business.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Hi Eric,

I don't know about anyone else, but your images aren't showing up for me. Just these little red X's. . . . :

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Me too...
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"