X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

which IR repeater

okay,

can somebody please educate me. I need an IR repeater setup. I have three devices, DVD player / HT reciever / Comcast cable box. They will be driven off of a harmony, but I still need the repeater. anybody have any suggestions?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I use a Xantech IR repeater system. It works great, was relatively low cost, and is quite functional. Got it from Worthington Distribution for cheap. Do internet searches for those things, and you'll find what you need.

My system has an IR receiver that I hide by my screen that goes through the walls to the powered connection block. From there, it gets distributed to my components, either via direct wire connection to the back of my components if they have a 1/8" IR remote input, or via "mouse flashers" that stick on the front of the component to flash the IR directly into the sensors.

Fully robust system that works just as well as those costing 2-3 times as much.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• clearwaterms
      • Nov 2006

so if I go with the xantech system, assuming that I don't have any IR plugs in the back of my equipment (have to check, but im thinking I don't) I will need 1 connecting / power block. 1 reciever, and 3 flashing eye's?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yup, sounds right. Xantech offers IR mouses that are just one "flasher" direct to a single plug, as well as "dual" where one plug from your connecting block goes to two different flashers. They work the same, it's just a way to increase the number of components you can control from one connecting block. So you can either get 3 singles, or 1 single and one double.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Eric S
          • Sep 2000

I purchased a Xantech kit-291 IR repeater system from http://www.asihome.com/ for a very reasonable price. In the past 6 years since I have purchased it, their price has remained very low...

I am not affiliated with ASIhome, just a happy customer.

Eric
          My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• mrohde
            • Jan 2007

I'm using Niles Audio. This is the second system from them that i have used. It has worked great for me.

I'm using the high out put flasher . A single flasher will deal with the entire component rack.

Comment

• Pookie007
              • Apr 2006

I am using the speakercraft. It works, so I am happy. I decided to go with individual flashers for each component. The one I have supports 4 flashers which is all I needed.

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mrohde
                I'm using the high out put flasher . A single flasher will deal with the entire component rack.
                So this flasher will flood the entire rack and still leave each component's receiver available for local IR control?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

The big flashers sometimes take a little work to hit everything. Since the single emmiters are transparent, those too will allow local IR control.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ekkoville
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    Since the single emmiters are transparent, those too will allow local IR control.

Kevin D.
                    Cool, did not know that.

Comment

• mrohde
                      • Jan 2007

Yes, that is correct

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"