I've made the jump to HD discs. Have you? (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I've made the jump to HD discs. Have you? (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray)

Well, I did it. I bought myself a PS3. I wasn't sure if I was going to or not, but ended up taking the plunge. I thought I might be waiting longer than this to go to the next-gen formats, but if anything, at least I held myself off this long instead of getting in on the very first players and wading through those problems.

Soooo.... I'm in the next-gen phase now. So far I have just two BD movies in addition to some PS3 games--Talledega Nights (that came free with the PS3) and U2 - Rattle and Hum. Watched Rattle and Hum last night, that's my all-time favorite DVD, so it's worth it for me. Probably watch Talledega Nights a little later tonight.

Who else has gone to HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Here's a post that I put elsewhere in the forum, reposted for discussion here.

I am a weak, weak man.

Here's an updated picture of my equipment rack. On top of the Salamander rack, I've got two new mini-units from Parasound on the left, stacked on top of each other, the Zhd and Zbreeze. On the right is a tower fan to move some air around and keep the equipment area cooler. See if you can figure out what's inbetween them.

Hmmm.... let's look a little closer. What is that thing?

So shiny! Could it be? A closeup, please?

Ah, yes! I called Best Buy yesterday and asked, and for once they actually responded, "why yes, actually, we do have them in today." I drove over and grabbed one while I could, a 60GB. Got some games, too, and a BD movie. I still wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to buy the PS3, but I knew that there wasn't going to be another opportunity for a while, and I could take my time after getting home to make the final decision. If I decided no, I could always sell it and be guaranteed no loss of $$$.

So, I hummed and hawed about it for a while, then decided to keep it. (big surprise) Hooked it up last night, pretty straightforward. Worked on HDMI right out of the box, to my 720p projector. Got it connected via digital audio (optical is only option) to my Parasound processor. the cable you see coming out the front is a USB extender cable that I've run to my seating area to charge the wireless controller and/or connect things like my MOMO steering wheel that is for PC, but all indications are that it should work on the PS3 now too.

First thing I decided to try, I pulled out the movie I bought, U2's Rattle and Hum on Blu-Ray. As expected, the movie/video, since it's shot in "artistic" grainy black and white, still had the same grainy look, but hey, now it's a sharper grainy look than ever! But some scenes were just eye-popping with clarity, like specifically of all things the copyright disclaimer page with vibrant color and crystal-clear lettering. But the audio... oh, the audio... the disc doesn't have any of the new HD sound formats like TrueHD. And if it did, I couldn't even use them, as no processor yet receives HDMI 1.3. For the first time, though, Rattle and Hum includes DTS, and DTS ES at that. This is my favorite DVD of all time, and I'm intimately familiar with ever scene, every bit of dialogue and music.

I scrolled straight to my favorite song on the disc, "Bad", and cranked the volume. Very clear audio, much lower background noise. When Adam Clayton hit the low note on the bass in the middle of the song, it was sharp and strong, much improved from the previous DVD. The rest of the song and the next few literally brought me to tears--it's such a beautiful string. And that's just DTS-ES discrete!

If nothing else, it was worth it just for that. Then I tried out "Resistance: Fall of Man" game, which looked AWESOME in 720p. Looks to be a fun game, too. I'm just getting started with the system, but it's definitely a winner. :T
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

Congrats Chris. We aren't getting the PS3 here (Australia) until March next year. I'm still not sure if I will buy one as the PS3 wont decode any of the new audio codecs that HD has to offer unless of course in the future a pre-amp or receiver comes out with them which they will. Still the picture should be amazing as will the higher bitrate DD/DTS tracks. For games it should be an awesome experience if the X-Box 360 is anything to go by. Sony might be late to the party but give it a year or so and the PS3 will be a great next gen gaming console. Happy viewing/gaming.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hmmmm... watching "Talledega Nights" right now. PQ really isn't much better than my Denon DVD-3910 upconverted. Maybe BD is going to be HIGHLY dependant on the film transfer. Maybe all new movies just need to be filmed with HD cameras to begin with. If movie companies can make films look at least as good and sharp as CBS football in 720p HD, then we'll be in business.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
          Maybe all new movies just need to be filmed with HD cameras to begin with.
          Bingo! I watched a bit of A Fifth Element the other day at my local BB, played on the new Sony Blu-ray player, on a Sony 1080P set. Was not impressed!
          Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:32 Thursday.
          Brad

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

I have 76 HD-DVDs and 22 Blu-ray titles at home. And 5 in transit from Amazon.com.

I have the Toshiba HD-A1, and 2 X-Box 360 add-on HD-DVD drives. I have the Toshiba HD-AX2 on pre-order, and the Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player also on pre-order (I just sold my Samsung to make room for the Pio...). I also have a PS3.

I just build a HD HTPC able to play both Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles with a X-Box 360 add-on and a Blu-ray writer.

"I've made the jump to HD discs. Have you?"

I think so. :B
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Oh yeah?! Well my Dad is stronger than all your Dad's! :lol:

Great stuff guys. I'm looking at picking up either a 360 or PS3 this summer. I'm waiting to see how things develop. I've read that programming for the PS3 is extremely difficult due to it's architecture (which means advancements in titles will take a bit longer), but that it does have the edge. I just can't wait to see how things continue to develop. I am hoping Blu-Ray wins, but if it tanks I probably won't be going PS3. Likewise for HD-DVD and the 360.

This summer I'm going to pick up a 50"+ 1080p LCD (Sharp most likely) along with a new game system.
              ~Nick

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Hmmmm... watching "Talledega Nights" right now. PQ really isn't much better than my Denon DVD-3910 upconverted. .
                :E

That doesnt sound right. Even my absolute WORST HD DVD looks better then the my best DVD run through an iScand HD.

I bought a Toshiba A1 HD DVD player end of September and have since bought 44 HD DVDs. I am in the next gen. Dolbly Digital Plus and TrueHD absolutely RULES! :T

A PS3 or Xbox 360 is a great way for those on the fence to enter the war, cheap and if your side doesnt make it then you always hav a great game player.

Those wanting to really invest and get a stand alone here is a good aritcle I posted yesturday. (mind you the new Toshiba A2 is only $400)

Here is a good site to track progess of the sales bettween the formats (on amazon)

Here is a good site for next gen movie reviews

'High-Def Digest is your ultimate source for everything 4K, Ultra HD, Blu-ray Disc, Streaming, and Home Theater products. News and in-depth reviews published daily!'
                Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:34 Thursday.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Congrats, Chris. As for me. No. No. No. :M
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

With only Universal Pictures on HD-DVD only, can we already guess that Bluray will be the winner? Especially that now they managed to produce their 50GB discs..

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by LEVESQUE
                      (I just sold my Samsung to make room for the Pio...). I also have a PS3.
                      Any wisdom to impart on PQ of the Samsung vs. PS3? Only thing I've heard which troubles me is that the PS3 will not output 1080p24SF, which I will want once I get a new projector.

BB

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                        With only Universal Pictures on HD-DVD only, can we already guess that Bluray will be the winner? Especially that now they managed to produce their 50GB discs..
                        Universal is the only exclusive yes, but there are plenty of studios releaseing on both formats.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Vancouver, I'm curious, how are you doing DD+ and TrueHD? Decoded by the player, connected via analog multichannels?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Vancouver, I'm curious, how are you doing DD+ and TrueHD? Decoded by the player, connected via analog multichannels?
                            Yes, exactly.
                            Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:34 Thursday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Made the jump, but just for HD-DVD for now. When the BD players get sorted out on BD-J compliance and audio decoding, will probably go for one of them, too. For now, it's just a Toshiba HD-XA1 and Xbox 360 with add-on, the latter for the "bedroom" system. (if I move as planned in 2007, that will become family room system, I suppose- depends on if daughter wants to move back in as she says, and how we arrange our gear).

~Jon
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Maybe all new movies just need to be filmed with HD cameras to begin with. .
                                If you get a chance to se Grand Prix HD DVD you will have a whole new respect for what HD DVD can do with film.

I think that movie was made in 1966 (65mm film?). Looks like it was made yesturday and its absolutly jaw dropping in my opinion.

There seems to be a lot of opinions flying around when it comes to bad looking HD DVD or Blue Rays i.e. Directors intent, digital noise vs intentional film grain etc.
                                Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:37 Thursday.

Comment

• ht_addict
                                  • Dec 2002

Have had HD-DVD since it was released :T May look into BR once the price drops.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                    If you get a chance to se Grand Prix HD DVD you will have a whole new respect for what HD DVD can do with film.

I think that movie was made in 1966 (65mm film?). Looks like it was made yesturday and its absolutly jaw dropping in my opinion.

There seems to be a lot of opinions flying around when it comes to bad looking HD DVD or Blue Rays i.e. Directors intent, digital noise vs intentional film grain etc.
                                    It may also be how well they are transferred. For what's it's worth, the standard dvd version of Grand Prix is also jaw-dropping.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

I'm waiting 4-6 months to jump in. And I'll probably get a PS3 then and start a small collection of the most spectacular looking movies/transfers that I can find.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have a relatively meager collection of movie titles available compared to DVD, being weighted to the newest movies (not exactly the best overall by far).

The PS3 is an easy justification at MSRP because I love movies and gaming, just not at todays price premium.

Happily DVDs look quite good upconverted, and I'm being satiated with HD-Tivo with about 20 HD movies and events recorded at any time. So I'm not in a rush right now to purchase either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs or players.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                        It may also be how well they are transferred. For what's it's worth, the standard dvd version of Grand Prix is also jaw-dropping.
                                        The movie was shot in 70mm SuperPanavision and shown in dedicated Cinerama theaters (the IMAX of their time with a 146 degree screens), any transfer should be stunning.

I'm old enough to have seen this as a first run film in one of the best Cinerama theaters around. The opening scene with the muliplying exhaust pipes was amazing. When the in car footage was being shown, the members of the audience were leaning left and right as the cars went through the corners. Some viewers left because the high-speed sequences induced motion sickness in people so inclined... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Eric_C
                                          • Nov 2006

Once they get the audio format cleared up we'll make the move. Until I see all that done and done correctly with some good bass management I'll do it.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Eric_C
                                            Once they get the audio format cleared up we'll make the move. Until I see all that done and done correctly with some good bass management I'll do it.

Its all clear on the HD DVD side.

Comment

• Azeke
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2003

A couple of sophomoric questions:

I have an XBox 360 and I am contemplating the HD-DVD add on, will I see a significant pq difference on my 720p projector vs my Pioneer 59avi which upconverts to 720p?

How is DD 7.1 processed with a Dolby Logic IIX receiver no HDMI?

I don't wish to invest any significant cash flow until the HD war has achieved peace, and $30.00/movie is much more significant than $15.00/movie. Just my $0.02 and another point to ponder.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

Where I live absolutely nothing is happening with either format. Blockbuster was going to start carrying titles in November but they've had a change of heart and are not sure when or where they will be carrying anything locally. Also, Walmart has a couple of shelves jammed with HD DVD and Bluray titles and they are not selling. What a Godawful mess of something that should have been a good thing for all of us.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
                                                  A couple of sophomoric questions:

I have an XBox 360 and I am contemplating the HD-DVD add on, will I see a significant pq difference on my 720p projector vs my Pioneer 59avi which upconverts to 720p?

How is DD 7.1 processed with a Dolby Logic IIX receiver no HDMI?

I don't wish to invest any significant cash flow until the HD war has achieved peace, and $30.00/movie is much more significant than $15.00/movie. Just my $0.02 and another point to ponder.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                                                  Yes you will see a major difference in picture quality with the 360 add on. No upconverting DVD player at any price can even compare. The $200 investment will be smallest investment with the biggest return you will likely ever make in your HT.

The audio with the 360 Add on is its only shortcoming where you will be only getting regular Dolby Digital. There is talk that the Dolby Digital Plus will be converted to DTS with a software update coming to the 360.

BTW. the xbox 360 can output 1080p via the VGA cable.

Comment

• Eric_C
                                                    • Nov 2006

How clear is it?

Can I buy a unit right now that does bass management on both DVD-A, SACD, and HD-Audio over analog?

Can I buy a unit that will do all that digitally and not be low on the LFE channel?

I only have one set of analog inputs....bass management has been a huge problem and until they have that crystal clear and working properly I'll hold off.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Eric_C
                                                      How clear is it?

Can I buy a unit right now that does bass management on both DVD-A, SACD, and HD-Audio over analog?

Can I buy a unit that will do all that digitally and not be low on the LFE channel?

I only have one set of analog inputs....bass management has been a huge problem and until they have that crystal clear and working properly I'll hold off.
                                                      No next gen players support DVD A or SACD at this point.

Comment

• jim777
                                                        • Mar 2005

No next gen players support DVD A or SACD at this point.
                                                        I think that the PS3 supports SACD, but maybe we can't consider that one as a music player :B

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

The Panasonic Blu-Ray player supports DVD-A. But there is no player, as yet, that will support both hi-res audio formats.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2005

I think that the PS3 supports SACD, but maybe we can't consider that one as a music player :B
                                                            SACD in two channel only. So I would use the term "support" very loosly

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                              The Panasonic Blu-Ray player supports DVD-A. But there is no player, as yet, that will support both hi-res audio formats.
                                                              That seems backwards.... :scratchhead:
                                                              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

DVD-A support is easy as it is the same principle as Dolby True HD (the latter being 7.1 capable) as they both rely on MLP encoding. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for a player to have DD, DTS, SACD, DVD-A and HDMI w/upconversion? I suspect in about 3 years, we'll have universal disc player that supports HD-DVD, SD-DVD, SACD, DVD-A, BD, DD True HD, DTS-MA, at about the 500$ US price point. Will it be outstanding in each area? Probably not. But it will be a "one-box" solution for a lot of people. A year later, it'll be half as much.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

Yes, this is true, output via HDMI 1.1
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Just wanted to add that netflix is carrying both HD-DVD and bluRay :T Enjoy. I've already rented several HD-DVDs...it's pretty great. No extra charge!

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                                                    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

_____________________________
                                                                    ā€œInsanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.ā€ - Einstein

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Yup, renting BD's all the time now. Currently have Nacho Libre from Netflix.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Purchased HD-DVD disk count now at 38 titles- though that might not sound like I'm being selective, they're all titles I held off on getting DVD versions because of hopes that HD would be out- including Casablanca, Grand Prix, Batman Begins, Seabiscuit, Blazing Saddles, Syrianna, 16 Blocks, Corpse Bride, Sleepy Hollow, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Serentiy, King Kong, MI-III, and Superman Returns. I've only done a few double dip purchases (already have DVD), like Apollo 13, Tomb Raider, and Unforgiven. No regrets on those, either.

Haven't bought a new movie DVD since March. And most of my TV show purchases have shifted from DVD to iTunes, due to ease of use on laptop from hard drive.
                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                        M8ta
                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                        Isiris
                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                        Calliope
                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 8938

Originally posted by Jon
                                                                          I've only done a few double dip purchases (already have DVD), like Apollo 13, Tomb Raider, and Unforgiven. No regrets on those, either.
                                                                          Hmmm. I'm thinking that Ms. Jolie in a body-suit shown in HD wouldn't cause much in the way of regret. I'm thinking.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                            • 16877

I just bought Terminator 2 on BD. I think that's the 4th time I've bought that movie on digital disc. :roll:
                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Jan 2001
                                                                              • 7637

#39
                                                                              Boy, youse guys are sure making it hard for me to stay on the fence.
                                                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2005
                                                                                • 1792

#40

I think the main issue is if you are waiting for a clear winner then you will probably be waiting for a long time. HD DVD has added a whole new excitement to this hobby for me. Even my wife gets so excited when we have a new tittle.

I havent bought a SD DVD since the day I purchased my A1.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2005
                                                                                  • 1792

#41
                                                                                  here is an interesting link showing what Lord Of the Rings qwill look like in SD vs HD (not format specific). The image you see is the SD version, then when you move your mouse over it it turns to HD.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15302

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                                    Hmmm. I'm thinking that Ms. Jolie in a body-suit shown in HD wouldn't cause much in the way of regret. I'm thinking.
                                                                                    I'm thinkin' that, too, David. :yesnod:

:jawdrop:
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DelRay
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2004
                                                                                      • 369

#43
                                                                                      here is an interesting link showing what Lord Of the Rings qwill look like in SD vs HD (not format specific). The image you see is the SD version, then when you move your mouse over it it turns to HD.

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html
                                                                                      I can see the difference using my 15" monitor. I would think the picture would be even more noticeable with a big display. Nice link.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2001
                                                                                        • 2193

#44
                                                                                        Fences are never very comfortable to begin with.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 8938

#45
                                                                                          Fence, schmence. I just want ONE standard. :storm:

Or that universal player, whichever comes first.
                                                                                          .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"