X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

NEC's new HD-DVD + Bluraychip

It's just one small step on the rough road towards a unified player that will bring peace and unity to a consumer electronics world torn by format war -- or something like that -- but NEC just announced that they're now shipping a dual-format chip that can power the playback of Blu-ray as well as HD DVD discs. We've still got to wait for a optical pick-up lens that can handle the dual formats, but supposedly Ricoh has that in the bag, so no worries, right? Well, we suppose there are a million things that could go wrong along the way, but so far most manufacturers are holding to their "early 2007" predictions for the hybrid player, with NEC promising monthly chip shipments of 300,000 by April of '07. The good news is that the chips will be selling for 10,000 yen ($84 US), which is roughly equivalent to the current costs for chips that only read one format. Also, it seems much more likely that the tech industry will be launching a hybrid player in the near future than the relatively far-fetched concept of the major studios getting behind some sort of all-in-one disc format, so it's good to see the likes of NEC and Ricoh really busting this stuff out.[Via Akihabara]

Asking for $84 for the chip with decoding HD-DVD and Bluray :T
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Finally a bit of good news about the format war. Not anywhere as good as one format but a universal player may move me an inch or two closer to the new formats. Now if I can only find something to nudge me the remaining three feet.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yes, DEFINITELY good news. So which manufacturer is going to step up and make the player to use that chip?
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yay! :banana:
        Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

The problem at present is th Blu-Day licensing prohibits dual format players.

Now the strong EU anti-trust consumer rights leaning which has given Microsoft so much trouble lately might make Sony and gang rethink that if they want to sell any BD hardware and software in the EU.

But at present, this chip gets us nowhere becuase it violates the rules for being a BD manufacturer to include it.

BB

Comment

• gianni
            • Nov 2002

If the BluDay folks rethink their stance on universal players at some point, it would in a way take the consumer out of the rift. The studios could then be the ones to determine if one format will win out or if they will both face a rightful demise.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Mostly... consumers will still be choosing which format they're buying, although you're right in general.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

One step forward, two steps back. Will this mess ever straighten itself out ? In the meantime I am still buying the odd standard dvd and enjoying them immensely.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

I am still buying the odd standard dvd and enjoying them immensely.
                  And I'm still buying the even ones. :>) DVDs still look and sound darned good. For comparison, I've watched HD and if I start to count the blades of grass in a scene, now that each one is individually distinguishable, then I know I'm watching a boring movie. IOW, it's still the movie that counts, not so much the medium it is presented on (I still watch the odd laser disk now and then -- "odd" being defined as "a title in my collection that has not been duplicated on DVD yet").

A pristine image of garbage is still just ... well, you get the picture. However, when Sony gets the chip off their shoulder :>) and lets someone make a true universal player (one that includes BD and HD-DVD rather than just one or the other, in addition to SACD and DVD-Audio rather than just one or the other), I might be tempted to "upgrade" to such a device -- if either of the currently available HD formats are still around by then.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

I just want my movies and music shows to look as good as David Letterman on my PT-AE900... this format war is getting me sick.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I've got a whole bunch of HD-DVD and BD movies saved in my Amazon wish list. Haven't bought any yet, buy you never know if somebody is going to buy me some for holiday presents. If I had gotten a PS3 on Friday, I would have picked up a bunch of BD's, too, to play. Couldn't find one, though.

Oh, well. We'll see if the PS3 happens as more inventory becomes available.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Boombox
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        Will this mess ever straighten itself out ?
                        Has anyone considered that the cheaper of the two formats will last...?

It's, at the end of the day, the masses that will decide.

With the PS3 selling for 600euros (60GB) and 500euros(20), it comes in at double the price of the XBox360.....this points me in the direction of the XBox360....now with respect to the HD-DVD or BR battle, I will buy the cheaper of the two if the better quality one (let's say the more expensive of the two) marginally improves on the cheaper one....
                        Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Here in the states, top end PS3 = $599. Top end Xbox 360 = $399 + HD-DVD add-on = $199. Xbox total = $598 (but with connectivity limitations)

So for me, with the PS3 being newer, better processor, better graphics, full connectivity out of the box, plays all old Playstation games, the PS3 looks more attractive at the exact same price.

Now if I can only find one.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                            So for me, with the PS3 being newer, better processor, better graphics, full connectivity out of the box, plays all old Playstation games, the PS3 looks more attractive at the exact same price.

Now if I can only find one.
                            Except that from what I've heard, while the PS3 is supposed to be better, as yet, the differences between it and the 360 aren't all that great. Also there's a VERY LONNNNNG list of PS2 games that the PS3 won't play. So no it won't play all the old games. There also seems to be a lot of reports of faulty/malfunctioning PS3's, the limited availability etc. The 360 is also on sale cheaper than the prices you listed... looking to pick up sales from dissapointed people who couldn't get the PS3. A lot of reasons to look elsewhere IMO.....
                            Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:52 Sunday.
                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

How much is the 360 on sale for? I haven't seen it any cheaper. And as for the PS3 being better then the 360 spec wise is a load of crap. They are both just about equal other then the HD-DVD graphics wise they both have probably about the same possibilities.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Futureshop here in Canada had a pretty good deal on Holiday Bundle, Gears Of War and Ridge Racer 6 for $450CA I believe it was.
                                Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                                  Also there's a VERY LONNNNNG list of PS2 games that the PS3 won't play. So no it won't play all the old games.
                                  How does it compare to the list of XBox games the 360 won't play? I've seen claims both ways.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Hmmm... the PS3 is advertised to play all previous playstion games. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a bug with playing some of them, though. The XBox 360 right up front is advertised to only play a portion of old XBox games.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

The reason that the xbox only plays some of the old ones is because the technology used in a lot of the old xbox games was specifically licensed by nvidia, well they switched to an ATI chip this time around and had to pay out the ass on each console in order to be allowed to use that technology from nvidia.

Comment

• Boombox
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                        and had to pay out the ass on each console in order to be allowed to use that technology from nvidia.
                                        8O

What a way to make money grow from trees......
                                        Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Some how I doubt they can get the blu ray copyright laws changed by early 2007 and have a unit in production and then on the shelves a couple months later.....doesn't seem possible.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

You're talking about a disc player that would play both formats?
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"