X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wired
    • Sep 2000

Denon 4800 or Marantz 19

If you were to choose one of these two a/v's, what one would you buy if Music and HT is 50/50? I will be upgrading from my Current Denon 3300, looking for the best upgrade out of these two a/v.I know these kind of questions are basicaly your personal choice, but suggests would be helpful.

Bruce A
    Bruce A
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well just to throw a curve ball at you neither I'd personally wait to see about the new 3801 before I bought the 4800. It should be cheaper and have the new DTS 6.1 on board as well as Denon's version of DD 6.1 (note they can't call it EX since the 3801 won't be THX certified but I'd bet its damn close)

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Either way, I'd go with the Denon, I've always owned Denon gear in my smaller systems, and it's always sounded good, and never, ever given me any problems. My daughter's system uses a Denon (wonder who picked that out for her?)
      A few years back Marantz was known for some very shoddy gear, I'm sure it's better now, but I remember when it was a joke, so I suppose I'm still bias against it.

P.S. Have you given Yamaha a thought??? They also make some good sounding gear, very different than the Denon sound.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
        • Sep 2000

My vote would be for the Marantz. Not that the Denon's are bad machines....but the Marantz will sound better, is built better and the remote kicks butt.

Comment

• Jehan
          • Aug 2000

I love both of these brands, generally put out a nice warm, smooth sound and when driven but the right speakers.. sound amazing. Like Andrew said, given the state of upcoming sound formats, I would sit on the purchase for a while. If anything get a nice amp and pick up the processor later. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Wired
            • Sep 2000

Thank-you everyone for your responces. I should mention that Iam currently using PSB Goldi's(4ohm)speakers. Let it be said that they are difficult speakers to push,(they are realy big!) but my current Denon 3300 does it quite well. So why up grade than? Well the golds only sound as good as what is pushing them, so I was looking for a upgrade that will give them a little more power.(it seems I upgrade my a/v every year)I also direct people to my friend who sells PSB speakers, and in turn, I get major discounts for equipment, and full credits on trade ins, to do this I have to upgrade before the model changes(3301). Well Iam here, I will mention that anyone who looking for Canadian speakers,(psb, energy) do email me, I will set you up with a suppler who ships anywhere. How about the Marantz 18? any thoughts on this a/v? alot more money, but who knows, maybe it would be a keeper!

Bruce A
            Bruce A

Comment

• Paul McGowan
              • Aug 2000

Bruce and Andrew... I just heard that the Denon 3801 will be $1200 US retail.... Hope the latest QC problems don't continue for this model too....

Notify Moderator
              Notify Moderator

Comment

• DavidY
                • Aug 2000

What's up with all these Canucks posting to this one topic?!?!

Bruce,

If you really itching to upgrade, I would either wait it out for the new Denon AVR3801 or another upcoming receiver or add a 5x200+ WPC power amp to drive those Goldi's.

Can you audition an Anthem MCA5 (CDN$2100 list, CDN$1500-$1600 street) at home with your PSB's? At 4 ohms, I recall that the MCA5 puts out at least 250WPC (maybe more), all five channels driven. I think that it is spec'd at 350WPC at 4 ohms (one channel driven?). There are reviews on the MCA5 at Soundstage and Secrets to Home Theater and High Fidelity.

I been told that the prices for the Denon 4800 have been dropping. I think that it lists for CDN$3400. When it was first released, some dealers were asking over CDN$3000 for it. Now, I understand that the dealers are asking about mid $2K.

Another factor is whether or not EX is a requirement for you.

Good luck.

Comment

• Wired
                  • Sep 2000

My salesmen wants me to take the Marantz home first, he still tells me that it will sound better, and out perform the 4800. I may do this, but not till the end of Sept. I dont know, with the 4800 pushing over 100w with 5 channels driven, this seems to be more of match with the power hungry golds. The Marantz I think is about 88w 5 channels driven. Anyone like to add anything here?

Bruce A
                  Bruce A

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Well if you want power the Denon benched very well but I think if I were in the market right now I'd buy a quality 5 channel amp and wait until things settle down. There is a nice Rotel 5 channel amp for sale over on the Hometheaterforum board for a very good price that would power those PSB's nicely and would give you a nice building block to pick up a pre amp when the format wars settle down. Thats the route i'm going to take soon

Comment

• Wired
                      • Sep 2000

Now you have me thinking Andrew!

Bruce A
                      Bruce A

Comment

• Wired
                        • Sep 2000

Okay, I came home with the Denon 4800! This thing is huge to say the least. I noticed a big difference in THX Home Theater(5.1), it blows the Denon 3300 out of the water in this mode. In music there is a difference, but not as great as I thought it would be. The Denon 3300 was a nice a/v, and if your in the market for one, there are lots around at reduced pricing.(a&b have two used in Abbotsford b.c). If you already own the 3300, and can get the money you spent back, by all means upgrade to the 4800 you wont be sorry. I went this route because I want to get a nice two channel amp in the future for my mains, and use the 4800's for everything else. The 4800 having all the options you can wish for will make a good pre/pro, and I dont think I will have to upgrade a/v's again. With the 3801, all 7 amps are there with room only to upgrade to a different a/v, in most cases, this will make most happy. With the 4800 you get five better amps, so upgrading with 2 more will only compliment your system.

Bruce A
                        Bruce A

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I dont think I will have to upgrade a/v's again
                          Famous last words

Comment

• Wired
                            • Sep 2000

That is funny Andrew, my wife said the same thing!, but Iam hoping a nice 2 channel amp will do.(for mains) Any suggestions?

Bruce A
                            Bruce A

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Honstly since the denon benched at over 140 watts per channel all channels driven...I'd say adding a seperate amp isn't where your money should go. I'd rather see you get an MSB DAC or upgrade the speakers before I'd buy an amp....unless of course you want to use that EX component then you need an amp.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"