CD audio quality only - DVD changers w/superior CD-audio?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevkar
    • Jan 2003

CD audio quality only - DVD changers w/superior CD-audio?

My apologies for posting a sort of dvd hardware issue here, but the question is only about CD redbook audio quality, so it seemed to fit... Does anybody have knowledge, preferences or opinions :LOL: about best (or at least better... price limit around $1000) choices for which DVD changer (yes I know changer is inherently not as good; this is for best of kind) has superior redbook CD audio...? This question is just about audio quality.

Denon 4800
    NAD T572
    Yamaha CX-1
    Marantz VC-5200
    Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700
    Other...?

I am very open to any suggestions or ideas beyond these (e.g., British or European and other non-mass market if available in U.S.)...?

-Steve

-Steve
    -Steve
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Can't help you with good, but I have the Pioneer F727 301 disc machine. It's redbook is decidedly average. The nicer F07 Elite has Pioneer's Legato Link DACs and should be better, but I would hope it would be worlds better since that is the only thing you get for $200 more (OK rosewood endcaps).

In other words, don't look to these. My Sony CS555ES deck trashes the Pioneer in sound quality.

BB

Comment

• stevkar
      • Jan 2003

I should have specified NOT mega-changer... just 5 disk (or 3, 4, 6) changer. We like to leave in several CD disks for ongoing music, one open slot for DVD movie.

-Steve
      -Steve

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, I am not familiar with these units, but I'd say tend to look at the one that is generally a better audio company. Back some years ago, that would have been Marantz, but today, I honestly believe from that list NAD is the more audio involved company, except for Marantz high end involvement in Tube reproductions and such.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ricky
          • Aug 2000

About 12 months ago, I had the following gear in my system for redbook performance: Onkyo 989, Lexicon DC1 and MC1, Sony 333es sacd changer, parasound cdc1500 changer, and three dacs: adcom gda700, msb link dac2, and parasound dac1600.

The Lexicons seem to lag the others. The Onkyo, sony, adcom, msb, and parasound changer were all pretty close, with the Onkyo perhaps a little ahead. The parasound dac IMO was clearly the best and made a difference.

What is the rest of your system?

Comment

• stevkar
            • Jan 2003

Rest of system... Rotel rsx-1055 receiver, Paradigm Studio 40s front L/R & side L/R, Studio CC, Pinnacle Baby Boomer Sub.

As to DVD-Changer... I've finally narrowed my choice down to either the Denon 4800 vs. Yamaha CX1? Both are "higher end" DVD player-changer models whose street price has finally come down to <$1000 (about 800 for Yamaha and $900 for Denon). Both appear to have superior build quality (weight of 16-23 lbs) and components. Denon came out in late 2001, Yamaha came out in mid 2002.

My interest is of course for good video but especially including film, old film transfers, etc., and good audio incuding "redbook CD" as this will be used as CD audio player (and even stereo audio) as well.

Does anybody have real world A-B comparison...?
            (opinions and rants are welcome too :LOL:

Thanks

-Steve

-Steve
            -Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"