X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibor
    • Oct 2000

My first reciver !!

Hello Guys and Gals

Here my story ,, I am looking for my first HT reciver . I dont have speakers yet planning on building them . My buget for my reciver is under $1000 bucks . I have ready my reviews on the net and in magazines and narrowed it down to Onkyo 575x , Outlaw 1050 , and Denon model forgot number . My question is am I over looking a model that has just come out or something I have overlooked completly . Any help is welcome .
    Thanks and take care .
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

well let me answer with a few questions What speakers are you planning on using, how important are the new 6.1 formats, what ratio of music to HT is important for you, do you need a good remote, are you willing to buy online (likely since you're looking at the outlaw)

Once I know some of these answers I'll be in a better postion to direct you to something that will suit your needs

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

By reading the equipment brands, you seem undecided on 5.1 vs. 6.1, please correct me if I am wrong.

I haven't heard the 575x but, I understand it to be a solid all around performer. Most seem quite satisfied with it's abilities for a small to mid size room. Also the x model was suppose to address some issues that the prior 575 had. From what I have read it is hard to beat at it's price point.

I have a friend that owns the 1050. It is a nice piece that has alot going for it. The Outlaw does have the advantage of 6.1 and great customer support. While it kicks butt in home theater IMO, the musical side didn't move me. Not that it does a bad job with music, just not quite as involving as I would have liked. The 1050 has a decent varible crossover for bass management. This is also quite a bit of receiver for the money.

Denon has a very loyal following. They have lead in sales with their model 3300 which can be had at some good prices right now. It also seems that most owners of Denon receivers, are very happy with the price/performance of these products. I listened to a 5600 or 5700 (I don't recall which) at Good Guys a couple of years ago. I remember trying to compare it with the Yamaha DSP A1. Well since they were not setup in the same room it was impossible to do. I do recall enjoying the sound of the Denon thru the Energy C-2 speakers.

In summary, all of this is just my opinion and I don't own any of the above. Not that I wouldn't I just fell in love with someone else.:W Your ear will make all the difference!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

when it comes to japanese recievers I'd steer you towards the Denon, I've owned many Denon products, all have been solid performers, and very reliable.
        I can point to owning at least 9 Denon pieces of gear, some I still have, some are gone, but not one of them ever broke down...Kenny

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well if he's willing to shop online and or look at used pieces we can make that $1000 go a long way. I'd bet we could probably get you into a good receiver and amp for the main channels or an extrenal DAC for 2 channel etc. There's lots we can do depending on what your needs are.

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

No doubt...check this out http://www.audiogon.com or http://www.audioreview.com just get into the classified sections and you'll see thousands of pieces of gear!!!
            Love these sites, great buys abound!...Kenny

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Tibor, don't forget the Elite line of products. My personal expeirence there has been very good. Of course, I don't know where they are at relative to the 6.1 or such issues as that.

But I really enjoy my 24TX in my bedroom, and I like Kenny with Deon, have had no troubles AT ALL with Elite, and I own 3 products from them.

Lex

Comment

• Tibor
                • Oct 2000

Well to give you an answer I am not sure yet what kind off speakers was planning on building some . I work in a woodshop .
                I am not sure about formats I like 5.1 I have not heared 6.1 but have read good things most likely will stick with 5.1 .
                The ratio of music to HT would be about 70% HT 30% music . I would buy on line if the price is right but still like a sales guy and a busniss that stand behind there product if I havr problems or question .
                I would like a remote that is easy to use and well built .
                I hope this gives you a better idea .
                Thanks again Tibor

Comment

• Tibor
                  • Oct 2000

I am planning to have my HT in a mid sized room with carpet .

I have not looked at to many Denons but have read great thing about them .

Comment

• Tibor
                    • Oct 2000

I would love any help , to get the best gear for my buck if it means used gear great aslong as it not outdated . I bought used gear before but never over the net . Man that would rock !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Well if he's willing to shop online and or look at used pieces we can make that $1000 go a long way. I'd bet we could probably get you into a good receiver and amp for the main channels or an extrenal DAC for 2 channel etc. There's lots we can do depending on what your needs are.

"the postmaster

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

well in my oppinion since the vast majority of your receivers duty will be HT that takes a load of your mind. For me if you reversed that ratio then we'd have a much harder time suggesting a receiver since its really their performance in stereo modes that seperates the good ones from the great ones. For me anyway once a movie starts I quickly become far less critical then if its just me and diana krall Anyway getting back to your situation I would try and find as many receivers as you can locally and just play around with their buttons to get a feel for their ergonomics and pick one that has the features you're looking for. I personlly happen to really like Denon's and Marantz but there's lots of good options to choose from these days. The Onyko 575x (I think thats the model #) seems to be getting a lot of hype lately so you might want to look into that one as well.

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Tibor,
                        That does open up the floor considerably. Buying something used from a site like Audiogon, will give you a shot at getting a great piece at a good price. There is just so much too choose from in that arena that, it becomes difficult to say that this or that one is better. Like Andrew stated, you will have to decide on somethings that you want like size, watts, features, looks ,etc. I think that each company offers models that bring alot to the table but, I do believe that they also (mfg by series) offer a unique sound character to it's own. So an audtion of various types, will assist in nailing down some sonics that you may or may not want.

Like Lex, I like last years Elite line from Pioneer. They have what I consider to be a very smooth sound and a strong bottom end...pretty too! As well as a nice universal remote.

I also had a Sherwood (6095R DD/DTS) and was totaly surprised by how good it sound. It also had a great Analog Bypass which was a big shock because, this is an entry level model. For a while Ubid was giving them away between $120-$150. It did have a sad remote and was 60wpc.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Tibor
                          • Oct 2000

I am glad you guys are here to give me a helping hand . I will have to look at some more recivers and play around with them . Deneon sounds good and so does Marantza . I would buy used gear but like you guys said so much out there and I dont know what have off it is or does so it makes it hard to choose . I read the local paper and saw a guy selling a Lexicon DC-1 Processor fot $900 , tryed finding info for this proccesor on the net and no luck so thats what makes it hard.
                          Is this a good piece or is it crap !

Comment

• P-Dub
                            Office Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

You might post this over at the Club Lex and see what response you get. I'm not familiar with this, but from what I have read, this is one great piece of equipment.

I think the only problem is that you'll need to buy an external amp, and this will push you over your $1,000 budget.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

a lot depends on whats included in the pre pro. it comes as a base model on which add on modules can be addd to give you things like DTS, DD and the 6.1 surround formats. The base unit only gives you pro logic, logic 7 and THX surround formats. The cost of upgrading a base model to the current version (4.0) is rather steep so if it isn't already upgraded to at least handle DD and DTS I'd leep looing. As for amps there are a few qulaity budget models that won't break the bank..try finding a HK 5800 on the web. They typically go for around $300 USD. There's a carver model as well that might be in the same price range.

Comment

• Lexman
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2000

I guess this is a good example of how difficult it is to put 1 brand in a vaccum and only talk about it.

The lex DC-1 comes standard with well, not much. Just standard DPL processing options. Add THX was option 1. Add DD was option 2, and add DTS was option 3. It's a fairly good piece, but aging. The DC-1 could be several years old, like 5 even I think. That has to be a consideration. Personally, I would rather see you look to a DC-2 in the 2K range, if the funds are there. But if they are not, I think that takes you back to square 1.

Lex

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"