X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

volume levels cds and dvds

When the engineers in a mixing studio (for cd music or dvd movie sountracks)finish adjustments,do they use a certain playback level for the volume ? I find that on both cd music and dvd movie soundtracks, I either have to lower the volume on my receiver or increase it for different titles. Some are too loud or some are too soft- especially movie dialogue. This is not in every case. I can play several movies without having to adjust my receiver's volume--then bango, I put one on that hurts the ear drums or makes you strain to hear what's being said.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Markj
    • Aug 2000

I’m guessing they don’t have a standard volume to calibrate by. I too must adjust the volume all of the time. TV commercials are always a lot louder but for them the mute is used.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I would tend to agree that there must not be a set standard or alot are not paying attention to it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• migliore
        • Nov 2000

In general AC-3 is much more dynamic than CD. Regular speech is quiet in comparison to CD, but when something blows up, expect up to 25db more sound!

It is annoying from a volume management perspective. Can you preset your volume in your processor? For me, preset 0 goes to CD/Stereo/Vol(-30db), and preset 1 goes to DVD/Surround/Vol(-18db). I also have different presets with different sub levels to change it easier.

I calibrated the lowest sub setting based on the movie w/ the most LFE that I own (lost in space, intro).

Rob

Reviews and System
        Reviews and System

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"