X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackerthanBlac
    • Mar 2005

OPPO DVD-DL317 DVD Home Theatre System

Hello,

Can someone post a review on OPPO DVD-DL317 Mini Progressive Scan DVD Home Theatre System? I am looking for one for my bedroom. It is listed on Amazon for $199.
    Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Thanks,
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There's some other condenders here that are of a more trusted name brand (Toshiba and Sony) for abour the same price

This website is for sale! ecost.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ecost.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I'd actually recomend this one here as it gets decent reviews and has better quality speakers. You'd need to add your own DVD player but you can get those cheap

This website is for sale! ecost.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ecost.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• Radec
      • Jan 2005

I'm also curious to hear how that Oppo system performs. About a month ago my Denon Fried and since I overspent a bit on some other components ops: I really didn't want to pay much for a DVD player. I was looking for a temporary player for under 200 bucks and a friend e-mailed me the Oppo link. I got it, and honestly I am very happy with its performance. Probably from a cost/performance standpoint one of the best components I own.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

No experience with the DVD Home Theater system from Oppo, but I have their OPDV971 DVD player with Faroudja DCDi and DVI output, and it's a very good piece- use that with a NEC CRT projector. The HTS does use the same Mediatek controller, which is one of the better ones as regards responsiveness and genearl MPEG quality, and a fairly good Sanyo loader. The audio D/A chips are good ones from Cirrus logic, 24/192, though inexpensive versions.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with Andrew just on the basis of support and repairs, but it is a pretty cute looking system. (did I just really say that?)

I think a lot would depend on price, too. My Oppo DVD player was only $200 from Extreme phono, and it performs well compared with $400 to $600 players, having a number of features I specifically needed- upscaling to 1080i, Faroudja DCDi de-interlacing and scaling (better on video source and mixed video/film stuff than most chips), no black crush or white crush through DVI, with adjustable levels, and passes blacker than black. Also region free, and plays in NTSC or PAL formats. It's probably the last DVD player I'll buy, before HD DVD comes out later this year. Good overall engineering, and firmware was upgradeable- (already done that once, to add pillar boxing for 16X9 output mode- playing 4:3 material).

What's the price difference for similar systems?
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

The Oppo equipment comes from the same plant that makes some fairly well known gear. One that comes to mind is Cambridge Audio.

I have found that Extreme phono's support of the Oppo brand has been better that anything I ever got from Sony or Toshiba
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Al Garay
            • Jan 2004

I'm a happy Oppo DVD owner as well. I wish the open/close button had less lag time opening the tray especially when you first power-up.

My wife is concerned about the plastic tray. The rest of the chassis has a nice look. Most of all, no complaints on the picture quality.
            Last edited by Al Garay; 21 March 2005, 20:20 Monday.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"