X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Review of the Oppo BDP-95

A friend of mine bought the Oppo BDP-95 and popped it off at my house so I could try it out because I was really interested what this unit can and would do in regards to audio performance. It is touted as having some pretty heavy duty DAC technology!!. First off, the out of box experience unpacking this unit was quite nice. Oppo creates a really good out of box experience with their units, wrapping them in this really nice monogrammed cloth like bag that comes across as really classy.

This unit is a monster!. As big and as heavy as some receivers!. It quickly becomes obvious that this unit is one helluva' piece of equipment. On the shelf, this unit outshines ALL of my components easily. Put it on a good shelf because this baby weighs a good 17 pounds!!. :E

Using it's two dedicated analog audio outs designed for it's perceived high end CD audio output, I immediately plopped in some of my favorite cd's that I have heard a million times on my what was a $700 dollar Marantz CD player (CD-67SE) circa 1998. Now bare in mind that a relatively expensive stand alone cd player is designed for cd playback only and therefore, there is technology in the unit designed only for better cd performance. The Oppo can and does play literally anything under the sun, including the older SACD's and DVD audio discs which are basically not even sold anymore.

The unit is very physically attractive until you pop open the drawer. The drawer comes out fast and is flimsy, just like my Oppo DV-981HD. You would figure that such a high end BD player would have a nicer drawer but alas, it is not to be with the BDP-95. That however does not take away from it's performance though!!!. ;x(

Boy, does this player sound different than my Marantz unit!. First off, the sound is immediately more transparent and detailed right off the bat!. There is more soundstage and warmth to say the least. The only aspect of the sound that bothered me was the vocal presentation. I listen to a lot of vocal Jazz, and vocals and vocal presentation is REALLY important to me. The vocals are more laid back with the BDP-95. The Marantz is more punchy and extremely forward in it's vocal presentation and I have to say I really like it. With the Marantz, the vocals are in the middle of the room standing in front of me with the band in the back and with the Oppo BDP-95, the vocals are back over there standing with the band. It's not a deal breaker for me but it's close to being that however. The added soundstage and slightly more detail are nice though I must say!. I heard things I never heard before with the Marantz.

I have a PS3 for BD playback and the Oppo dvd mentioned above for DVD playback. The DVD playback presentation of the BDP-95 is slightly more detailed and has slightly better contrast and shadow detail than both my players for both formats. However, it's not a 'WOW' effect in a night and day kind of way. Let it be known that this presentation could likely be improved by tweaking the monitor and the very many picture controls the Oppo offers within it's menus. I only did the basic setup with the Oppo BDP-95. I did not touch any of my current monitor settings because I wanted to keep my current one's with my current equipment. I AM giving the Oppo BDP-95 back to it's rightful owner of course!!.

I won't get into the units capabilities because you can go to the Oppo website to view them.

There are a few other issues that bothered me a little. The unit via the remote is sluggish. I found myself pressing the buttons twice to get the unit to do what I wanted, but I think this was because I didn't wait long enough for the unit to respond to the commands. The remote is back lit, but I found it did not stay lit long enough to see what button I wanted to press. That would likely be less of an issue once you become familiar with the button positioning however.

Now bare in mind that I have been somewhat critical of the BDP-95 but at the end of the day, this is one hell of a unit!. When my CD player gives up the ghost, this unit is going to be on top of my list for it's replacement!. But on the other hand and based on the laid back vocal performance, I will check out some stand alone CD players as well before buying.

I give the Oppo BDP-95 a thumbs up and a 9/10 for overall performance!!. :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Great to hear. I may finally have to pick up a new unit as my primary BD player to supercede my PS3.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
      Great to hear. I may finally have to pick up a new unit as my primary BD player to supercede my PS3.

Hey Chris....I am not sure I would do that for a straight out BD player to replace your PS3. For an all around audio CD and BD player that has great audio DAC conversion and great sound, this unit is a serious option. When I compared the picture quality of the Oppo 95 vs the PS3, the results were better but marginal. DVD picture quality vs my Oppo 981 dvd player was also marginally better. The thing is this....is it $1k better.......not really.......is it an option when my current CD player or DVD player needs replacing.....YES IT IS......but only when it needs to be replaced !!.

I guess that is what I was trying to convey in my review. I really liked the unit, but in the world of digital, the measure of returns in that medium diminishes vs the amount spent, and it is way less than what you would get from upgrading an amp or a new speaker system lets say. I love Oppo products and would have no hesitation to buy this unit to replace both my PS3 and My Oppo dvd player when they die. I however love the punchy and forward vocal presentation that my old Marantz unit presents for CD audio!!. :T

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Thanks for the review madmac! My dad has the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition with Nuforce mod. It has the same DAC chip as the BDP-95, and we're very happy with it. It's very neutral sounding with lots of detail and musicality. It really shines with SACD and Bluray.

I've been impressed with our PS3 too, though I've never compared it to the Oppo in the same system.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• HedgeHog
          • Dec 2008

Thx for the review. I just received the BDP-95 this Friday and played with it a bit. It's replacing my BDP-83 and Sony CDP-707ESD. IMHO, while it's much nicer aesthetically than the 83, it still feels chintzy. Especially compared with the behemoth that the Sony is (30lbs!). I Dynamatted the 83 on the case and on top of the drive unit to make it more stout. I may try it with the 95 also. And I absolutely agree that the drive feels like something you grab from online computer store.

So with all the anticipation from glowing reviews, I plugged this into my SSP-800. Created 2 inputs for the unit...HDMI bitstreamed to the SSP and dedicated 2ch RCA out to the SSP using bypass. I played some SACD (new SHM-SACD Steely Dan's Aja and Oscar Peterson's We Get Request, some 24-bit redbook Best Voices in Audiophile IV stuff, and regular redbook of Stanley Turrentine's More Than A Mood).

Firstly, through the analog stage, the soundstage was noticeably more expansive. Fore/aft image also improved but not as significant as the width. There seems to be more details between instruments and subtleties do become more apparent. Case in point was Ray Brown in Oscar Peterson's You Look Good Tonight. You can hear him put down the bow before continuing to pluck the bass...and him singing the notes too. Very nice. And I agree with most reviews that the clarity is nice but lacks a bit of warmth. Kinda clinical...if you will.

Anyway, now that I think ESS Sabre32 DAC is doing wonders, I swap back to the HDMI config to see how the Classe's DAC compares. To my surprise, not a lot different. I think the 95 is superior to the 83 even using HDMI out. Tried all the same selections of songs and I cannot establish a preference between analog or digital out. I'll try XLR connections later on to see if that makes any diff.

Now onto video...this one surprised me. I use HDMI bitstream out. I know they changed their video processor between the 95 and 83 but the image difference was so much better with the 95. I played a couple of animations only: Disney's Tangled and Pixar's The Incredibles. Both blacks were darker...and most colours were richer. The overall movie seems smoother too. For sound quality, it's pretty close but the LFE seems to be more during The Incredibles.

Anyway, so it's also a thumbs-up for me! No regrets in replacing an already great BDP-83 with an even better BDP-95. Those sitting on the fence: DO IT!!!!

Cheers,
          -H
          Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Good thoughts, guys.

I'm still amazed that my PS3 is "almost" cutting edge BD performance, 5 years or so after I bought it as one of the first BD players on the market. Now that says something, for Sony's commitment to the model. I have always kept it in the back of my mind, though, that eventually I'm going to have to go to a new stand-alone BD players to stay true cutting edge performance. Rather cool, though, that even with the addition of 3D technology, the PS3 has stayed near the front of the pack over the years.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
              Thx for the review. I just received the BDP-95 this Friday and played with it a bit. It's replacing my BDP-83 and Sony CDP-707ESD. IMHO, while it's much nicer aesthetically than the 83, it still feels chintzy. Especially compared with the behemoth that the Sony is (30lbs!). I Dynamatted the 83 on the case and on top of the drive unit to make it more stout. I may try it with the 95 also. And I absolutely agree that the drive feels like something you grab from online computer store.

So with all the anticipation from glowing reviews, I plugged this into my SSP-800. Created 2 inputs for the unit...HDMI bitstreamed to the SSP and dedicated 2ch RCA out to the SSP using bypass. I played some SACD (new SHM-SACD Steely Dan's Aja and Oscar Peterson's We Get Request, some 24-bit redbook Best Voices in Audiophile IV stuff, and regular redbook of Stanley Turrentine's More Than A Mood).

Firstly, through the analog stage, the soundstage was noticeably more expansive. Fore/aft image also improved but not as significant as the width. There seems to be more details between instruments and subtleties do become more apparent. Case in point was Ray Brown in Oscar Peterson's You Look Good Tonight. You can hear him put down the bow before continuing to pluck the bass...and him singing the notes too. Very nice. And I agree with most reviews that the clarity is nice but lacks a bit of warmth. Kinda clinical...if you will.

Anyway, now that I think ESS Sabre32 DAC is doing wonders, I swap back to the HDMI config to see how the Classe's DAC compares. To my surprise, not a lot different. I think the 95 is superior to the 83 even using HDMI out. Tried all the same selections of songs and I cannot establish a preference between analog or digital out. I'll try XLR connections later on to see if that makes any diff.

Now onto video...this one surprised me. I use HDMI bitstream out. I know they changed their video processor between the 95 and 83 but the image difference was so much better with the 95. I played a couple of animations only: Disney's Tangled and Pixar's The Incredibles. Both blacks were darker...and most colours were richer. The overall movie seems smoother too. For sound quality, it's pretty close but the LFE seems to be more during The Incredibles.

Anyway, so it's also a thumbs-up for me! No regrets in replacing an already great BDP-83 with an even better BDP-95. Those sitting on the fence: DO IT!!!!

Cheers,
              -H
              My ears differ from yours about the lack of warmth. I found the analog out sound very warm with like you say, a very wide soundstage out of the BDP-95 via my Rotel amp.....almost too warm for my taste......kinda' almost like vinyl warm ( Take note vinyl lovers!!!). Laid back, completely transparent, and with laid back vocals. Conversely, my Marantz literally attacks CD's and punches them out in a very forward way. My Rotel amp likes that and helps that process quite well!! :W

I too found the bass deeper and tighter with the 95 vs my Marantz. Again, very close but slightly nicer. Nicer enough to be noticeable!.

I truly cannot comment properly on the Video but you seem to like it which is, in my opinion a thumbs up. :T With the basic setup on the 95, I didn't notice much difference in comparison with my Oppo 981. I watched "The Fighter" last night with my 981 and was blown away with the picture quality. That's because my monitor settings are optimized for that unit to be honest however!.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                I'm still amazed that my PS3 is "almost" cutting edge BD performance, 5 years or so after I bought it as one of the first BD players on the market....... Rather cool, though, that even with the addition of 3D technology, the PS3 has stayed near the front of the pack over the years.
                Very true! I see no need to replace mine at this time. The PQ is still first class, and it will happily bitstream HD audio. It will also play back H264 movie rips with multiple sound tracks, either streamed or of it's HD.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mjb
                  Very true! I see no need to replace mine at this time. The PQ is still first class, and it will happily bitstream HD audio. It will also play back H264 movie rips with multiple sound tracks, either streamed or of it's HD.

I Agree mjb......The PS3 is a first class piece of equipment. If I had any wish about the PS3, I would wish it would operate more like a regular PC ( ie..the ability to download programs etc).

Comment

• kpodolski
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                    You would figure that such a high end BD player would have a nicer drawer but alas, it is not to be with the BDP-95. That however does not take away from it's performance though!!!. ;x(
                    This might not be such a bad thing in the long run. It looks like Oppo is using an OEM DVD-ROM. Once someone diggs around and finds out what vender the drive manufacturer is, it should be a simple procedure to replace a defective drive (if/when it fails out of warranty).

Hey, we would all love a transport milled from a two pound block of aluminum. But God help you if/when that drive ever fails out of warranty!
                    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

I wished Oppo had done a better job in selecting the disk tray and put something of higher quality that is my only complain.

Now all the need is to include Pandora and support metadata on the next software upgrade:T
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• kpodolski
                        • Jun 2006

Any further updates or impressions on the BDP-95?

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kpodolski
                          I have since given it back to it's rightful owner but I find myself missing it to some degree which I guess is a good thing for the unit. I miss the transparency and soundstage......... :cry:

Comment

• HedgeHog
                            • Dec 2008

I've been using mine for a coupla weeks now. It's now always on via XLR. I find their the ESS Sabre32 more detailed and spacious than the PCM1792 in the Classe. It's still as airy and neutral as when I first tried it...and through a Classe amp, still not warm but very accurate sounding.

I popped in the Clapton MTV Unplugged disc today and the dobro (sp?) really sounded authentically metallic.

-H
                            Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                            Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by HedgeHog
                              I've been using mine for a coupla weeks now. It's now always on via XLR. I find their the ESS Sabre32 more detailed and spacious than the PCM1792 in the Classe. It's still as airy and neutral as when I first tried it...and through a Classe amp, still not warm but very accurate sounding.

I popped in the Clapton MTV Unplugged disc today and the dobro (sp?) really sounded authentically metallic.

-H
                              Please elaborate on what "authentically Metallic" means??.

When I tested the unit via it's analog stereo outs into my Rotel amp, it sounded vinyl warm and transparent with tons of detail. The only thing that bugged me was the laid back vocal presentation

Comment

• kpodolski
                                • Jun 2006

Any issues with fan noise?

Comment

• specialized
                                  • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=madmac]My ears differ from yours about the lack of warmth. I found the analog out sound very warm with like you say, a very wide soundstage out of the BDP-95 via my Rotel amp.....almost too warm for my taste......kinda' almost like vinyl warm ( Take note vinyl lovers!!!). Laid back, completely transparent, and with laid back vocals. Conversely, my Marantz literally attacks CD's and punches them out in a very forward way. My Rotel amp likes that and helps that process quite well!! :W

I too found the bass deeper and tighter with the 95 vs my Marantz. Again, very close but slightly nicer. Nicer enough to be noticeable!.

I have idea to get a BDP-95. Too bad i can't try it, and in Europe cost around 1200-1300 eur. My idea is like this.. Now for Blue RAY im using SONY PS3, and for DVD Pionner 610-S. Receiver is Denon 3808 which i put in analogue in in my Benchmark DAC1 trough DENON FL/FR preouts (i adjusted volume level on fix setting of DAC1, with rest of the channels.) Since BDP-95 should have better dacs then my Denon, i want to use BDP-95 for DVD/Blue RAYS connecting to denon via Analogue out's to EXT IN of Denon.. This way i would use DACS of the OPPO and using Denon only for Audissey and as Volume Control.. Am i right that i would get much better HT performances this way compared to my setup right now?

Also how is Oppo BDP-95 in playing of 24/96 Flacs trough the USB or Network?

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                    • Dec 2008

Please elaborate on what "authentically Metallic" means??.

When I tested the unit via it's analog stereo outs into my Rotel amp, it sounded vinyl warm and transparent with tons of detail. The only thing that bugged me was the laid back vocal presentation
                                    It means that on a guitar, the strings sounds way more metallic than on an wood acoustic...thus it sounds authentic. No capital on metallic as you have quoted (as in I'm not trying to imply some bluegrass version of Metallica ).

BTW, I'm not saying yours don't sound warm...we have different amps so perhaps through the Classe/B&W combo, it was more neutral than warm. Especially on a saxophone piece like Stanley Turrentine's More Than A Mood. I was anticipating a warmer more smokey-jazz sound, that's all.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                      • May 2004

I would argue that the BDP-95 will most likely not be the weak link in the chain, but rather what people are hearing is a reflection of their other gear in the chain.
                                      I personally find the BDP-95 to be very neutral with a clarity to everything that allows you to see things clearer. The only downside is that in order for it to really show what it can do it needs to be warmed up for a couple of hours - or maybe that is still burn in that is needed.
                                      Also, if you live in a place where you can turn the power cable 180 degrees then do try both ways as it does have an enormous effect on the size of sound image it paints..

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=specialized]
                                        My ears differ from yours about the lack of warmth. I found the analog out sound very warm with like you say, a very wide soundstage out of the BDP-95 via my Rotel amp.....almost too warm for my taste......kinda' almost like vinyl warm ( Take note vinyl lovers!!!). Laid back, completely transparent, and with laid back vocals. Conversely, my Marantz literally attacks CD's and punches them out in a very forward way. My Rotel amp likes that and helps that process quite well!! :W

I have idea to get a BDP-95. Too bad i can't try it, and in Europe cost around 1200-1300 eur. My idea is like this.. Now for Blue RAY im using SONY PS3, and for DVD Pionner 610-S. Receiver is Denon 3808 which i put in analogue in in my Benchmark DAC1 trough DENON FL/FR preouts (i adjusted volume level on fix setting of DAC1, with rest of the channels.) Since BDP-95 should have better dacs then my Denon, i want to use BDP-95 for DVD/Blue RAYS connecting to denon via Analogue out's to EXT IN of Denon.. This way i would use DACS of the OPPO and using Denon only for Audissey and as Volume Control.. Am i right that i would get much better HT performances this way compared to my setup right now?

Also how is Oppo BDP-95 in playing of 24/96 Flacs trough the USB or Network?

Greetings

Darko
                                        If you use your Oppo via the MCH analogue inputs, you will NOT be able to apply Audyssey to any of the audio that comes from the player. Personally, I would not go without an EQ'd sub (I don't have an HDMI receiver equipped with Audyssey or its competitors, but I have an Anti-Mode 8033 that does a very good job EQ'ing my sub). If you are using Audyssey and like what it does with your audio, you will lose that if you go with an Oppo via MCH analogue (their is no way any DACs can make up for the change in audio caused by something like Audyssey). Now, if you don't like what Audyssey does with your audio, then you won't lose anything by trying an Oppo via MCH analogue. Either way, Audyssey does NOT affect the audio coming into the receiver via MCH analogue with your model.

Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Any issues with fan noise?

Nope :T

Comment

• specialized
                                            • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=Ovation]
                                            Originally posted by specialized
                                            If you use your Oppo via the MCH analogue inputs, you will NOT be able to apply Audyssey to any of the audio that comes from the player. Personally, I would not go without an EQ'd sub (I don't have an HDMI receiver equipped with Audyssey or its competitors, but I have an Anti-Mode 8033 that does a very good job EQ'ing my sub). If you are using Audyssey and like what it does with your audio, you will lose that if you go with an Oppo via MCH analogue (their is no way any DACs can make up for the change in audio caused by something like Audyssey). Now, if you don't like what Audyssey does with your audio, then you won't lose anything by trying an Oppo via MCH analogue. Either way, Audyssey does NOT affect the audio coming into the receiver via MCH analogue with your model.

Just something to keep in mind.

Hmm im not sure if audisey it's not working trough analogue mch. (i'll try later with my pioneer DVD). And also Classe SSP-800 dont have audisey and it's still best SPP on the market.. I want to upgrade Sound Quality in Multi Channel , and OPPO via MCH outs seem to be nice solution.. Im thinking what is better: Oppo BDP-95, or to sell Denon 3808 and to get Onkyo SC-5508 or Marantz AV7005. Still BDP-95 dac's seem to be much better then Denon or Onkyo? And i dont use SUB at all

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=specialized]
                                              Originally posted by Ovation

Hmm im not sure if audisey it's not working trough analogue mch. (i'll try later with my pioneer DVD). And also Classe SSP-800 dont have audisey and it's still best SPP on the market.. I want to upgrade Sound Quality in Multi Channel , and OPPO via MCH outs seem to be nice solution.. Im thinking what is better: Oppo BDP-95, or to sell Denon 3808 and to get Onkyo SC-5508 or Marantz AV7005. Still BDP-95 dac's seem to be much better then Denon or Onkyo? And i dont use SUB at all

Greetings

Darko
                                              It is a certainty that Audyssey is NOT working on your analogue MCH input.

I'm not saying that a non-Audyssey equipped SSP cannot be better than one with Audyssey. I'm also not saying that Audyssey will necessarily produce an effect on your audio that you will prefer over no Audyssey.

What is undeniable, though, is that Audyssey alters the audio (for better or worse is a matter of taste) far more than ANY DAC is capable of doing. In other words, if I take the analogue audio output of the basic Samsung BD player in my living room (not purchased for any audio prowess) and do a side by side comparison, with no other processing (Audyssey or other, even if not level matched, though level matched is preferred) with the Oppo 95 and its "super-DACs", whatever difference I might hear would be far less dramatic than turning Audyssey on or off.

If I were not using Audyssey (or its equivalent), I might well consider an Oppo 95 to maximize my chances at getting excellent MCH sound. If I was using Audyssey (or its equivalent--presuming, of course, I like what it does), I would NOT bother with any analogue input if I were buying a new player. It would be wasted money (again, if Audyssey is in use).

Comment

• Gremal
                                                • Apr 2007

Well I've owned the Oppo 95 for over a month now.
                                                This unit is a monster!. As big and as heavy as some receivers!. It quickly becomes obvious that this unit is one helluva' piece of equipment. On the shelf, this unit outshines ALL of my components easily. Put it on a good shelf because this baby weighs a good 17 pounds!!
                                                The 95 is a solid player compared to Oppo's other offerings but considering I've had disc machines that weighed 60 lbs, I would never say the BDP-95 is a monster. It is more solid than the BDP-83 but turn it over and it still has the same thin sheet metal underbelly. I do wish Oppo could have used a more solid chassis but at least it's moving in the right direction.

First off, the sound is immediately more transparent and detailed right off the bat!. There is more soundstage and warmth to say the least.
                                                Well which is it? Transparent or warm? You can't have it both ways, as warmth adds coloration that gets in the way. Usually a transparent component is described as analytical, not warm. The 95 is more open and faster than the 83SE I was using previously. It is not warm at all.

I have a PS3 for BD playback and the Oppo dvd mentioned above for DVD playback. The DVD playback presentation of the BDP-95 is slightly more detailed and has slightly better contrast and shadow detail than both my players for both formats. However, it's not a 'WOW' effect in a night and day kind of way.
                                                I did find the 95 to be significantly better than both the 83SE and the PS3 (60 GB) in video performance--better balance, definition and motion.

There are a few other issues that bothered me a little. The unit via the remote is sluggish. I found myself pressing the buttons twice to get the unit to do what I wanted, but I think this was because I didn't wait long enough for the unit to respond to the commands. The remote is back lit, but I found it did not stay lit long enough to see what button I wanted to press. That would likely be less of an issue once you become familiar with the button positioning however.
                                                Like all components these days, there are handshake issues and you have to wait for the BDP-95 to lock on to the signal before selecting a command.
                                                Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                                Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                                B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                                VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                                Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gremal
                                                  Well which is it? Transparent or warm? You can't have it both ways, as warmth adds coloration that gets in the way. Usually a transparent component is described as analytical, not warm. The 95 is more open and faster than the 83SE I was using previously. It is not warm at all.
                                                  Phew....thx for confirming I'm not going deaf. :T

Still loving this unit...makes my old redbook sound better.

-H

Comment

• madmac
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2010

[QUOTE=Gremal]Well I've owned the Oppo 95 for over a month now.

The 95 is a solid player compared to Oppo's other offerings but considering I've had disc machines that weighed 60 lbs, I would never say the BDP-95 is a monster. It is more solid than the BDP-83 but turn it over and it still has the same thin sheet metal underbelly. I do wish Oppo could have used a more solid chassis but at least it's moving in the right direction.

I did find the 95 to be significantly better than both the 83SE and the PS3 (60 GB) in video performance--better balance, definition and motion.

Like all components these days, there are handshake issues and you have to wait for the BDP-95 to lock on to the signal before selecting a command.[/QUOTE

I can't imagine a BD or DVD player weighing in at 60lbs and see no justification for it either. But, I'll take your word for it I guess!??!. 8O

I disagree about the 'warm and transparent' reply. It's kind of like 24 bit sound. I find it very warm (Vinyl warm) and less digital in nature. It has more texture. But, the detail and transparency is there too. I hear the sound stage better....it's more open and airy. Remember, these are just words I'm using to try and describe the sound. Some people might misinterpret their meaning. :B

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"