X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • walknbluez
    • Jun 2006

New guy looking for speakers

Hello,

I was hoping some of you could help evaluate my situation and make some recommendations.

I have a 2 channel amp, an Onkyo Integra M-506, 150 wpc @ 8 ohms, A and B speakers and an Onkyo pre-amp (circa 1981-1985). I've always loved it and it had great sound with my Cerwin Vega floor speakers. However the Cerwin Vega cabinets are now rattling.

I have a large family room with a big screen TV. We don't watch too many movies (several per month) but listen to music alot (usually CD's of live performances).

I was thinking about getting 5.1 surround sound system (an inexpensive one) but then thought that for the most part, most of the audio I'll be listening to with be in 2 channel stereo anyway. So I figured I should keep the power amp and pre-amp and just get some good replacement speakers. I was thinking Klipsch or JBL? I want something that can handle bass and sound awesome.

Any ideas?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Totem, Vienna Acoustics....
    Jason

Comment

• walknbluez
      • Jun 2006

Could you narrow it down a bit? Am I asking too much to stay in the under $1000 for a pair range?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

They're all great brands and should be a cut above CV's and JBL etc... My best advice is to go to some higher-end shops and listen to some of theses brands as nobody can tell you what YOUR ears like the sound of but YOU And yes they all have models under $1k/pair

Welcome to HTG BTW :T
        Jason

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by walknbluez
          Could you narrow it down a bit? Am I asking too much to stay in the under $1000 for a pair range?
          That's your job. You need to go and listen with your own ears.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Yup , gotta hear 'em yourself. The Paradigm Studio 60v.3 speakers are readily available (in black) for $1000 a pair. I have no problem with bass reproduction and the "crispness" of the sound far exceeds anything I heard from CV or JBL in that price range. Bearing in mind I own the Paradigms! I own an "inexpensive" 5.1 system (Onkyo) and I only use it for the tv. For all my music I use two channel with the Paradigms. No comparison. My $ .02 .
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ICEMAN70
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
              Yup , gotta hear 'em yourself. The Paradigm Studio 60v.3 speakers are readily available (in black) for $1000 a pair.
              Where can you buy Brand new Studio 60 V3's for $1000?? Even though they are made here in canada they are $1900. The Studio 20 v3's are $1000.

I just checked Audiogon and the Studio 60 v3's are around $1250 to $1450 used.

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Audio Encounters in Dublin , Ohio. I paid $1600 for mine-$300 each premium for the cherry veneer. Ask for Zack.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Also got a good deal on a Marantz PM7200 integrated amp and a fair deal on a Marantz SA8260 SACD player. Also willing to make me a very nice deal on a Music Hall mmf 5se turntable. (lowest priced MH TT with replaceable cables-if I can't use CAT cables I don't want it!) Comes with a Goldring G1022 cartridge-one of the best MM cartridges I've found.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"