X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

Must have SACD/DVD-A titles

A friend of mine who is a Marantz dealer is replacing a Marantz 9500 in one of his theatre rooms so he said he would give it to me at an unbeatable price with a full warranty. I'm pretty happy with my oppo for video (we'll just have to see which I like better for Video) but I couldn't resist having a SACD/DVD-A player.

So my questions is what are some must have SACD/DVD-A titles that I should consider? I really enjoy any type of music, so genre isn't an issue. What's your personal favorite and why? Also, I see very few stores here in CO that have a good selection. Is there an online retailer that you prefer?

thanks!
  • Pieter
    • Jan 2005

Try this link: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=5961

Comment

• stringzz
      • Apr 2005

Here is a couple of good sites I found for SACD/DVD-A with reviews.

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

If anyone knows of some other good sites, please post them.

Comment

• DifferentLee
        • Apr 2005

There are some good lists on Audio Asylum's Hirez Highway.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Almost any RCA Living Stereo SACD
          Alison Krauss and Union Station--Live SACD (possibly the best recorded music I've ever heard)
          Fleetwood Mac--Rumours DVD-A
          Joe Henderson--Lush Life (The Music of Billy Strayhorn) SACD
          Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon SACD
          Elton John re-releases SACD (standouts are Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy)
          Seal--Best of 1991-2004 DVD-A (contains two albums--a greatest hits and an acoustic greatest hits--MCH mixes are excellent)

These are just some of mine, but are the last ones I'd part with.

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

I feel there are few bad sacd (at worst they sound like the CD!) but in some cases the multichannel mix is badly done. I would say, buy anything you would enjoy listening to, and which has the potential to sound good (that excludes some musical genres, that I will not mention here to avoid nasty feedback). The sa-cd.net stringzz mentions is the reference site for sacd, I always use it to see if there is a review before purchasing.

I am in the US this week, and I am surprised at the prices here: it's so cheap compared to Europe (half price)! I have been stopping at all the stores with big music zones, and I have already picked up a dozen albums. There is not a great selection, but you can be lucky and find a few gems. I am surprised that many albums with sacd versions, are actually being sold in their cd only versions, for almost the same price as the others in sacd... proof that the average consumer isn't aware of sacd advantages.

Mind you, 6 months ago, I didn't know about sacd at all, and now I try to listen exclusively to sacd. I am sure if you spend a few $ for some albums you like, you'll be hooked too.

Comment

• ELTRIGO
              • May 2005

Must have SACD/DVD-A titles

I have the Pioneer DV-578A and the Onkyo HT-S770 and their sound is fantasitic.

I recommend Dr. Chesky's Magnificent Fabulous... (it has a long name)

I will also get the Buena Vista Social Club SACD. If you are interested in Latin Jazz, this stuff is incomparable!

Peace in Christ!
              I am a sound freak and must have my sweet spot!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"