X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetalMilitia
    • Feb 2006

Hope I'm Not Alone

when watching movies with families and friends i can never concerntrate on the movie but i am too distracted by thinking about the equipment

eg. if the sound is right ie. sub at right level and center channel calibrated properly

or if the projector is focussed properly, right colour balance etc

i hope i'm not alone with this as everyone else says i'm paranoid and that the picture and sound quality is perfect

the deeper i get into the home theater game the fussier i become

is this a good thing?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I've had that behaviour on occasion...Usually only lasts for the first few minutes until I allow myself to be drawn in to the material :lol:
    Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I used to get like that when people came over and watched things on my setup, but I've now only worried about how "loud" or "soft" it gets, everything else I've pretty much confirmed, it just doesn't get any better (with the equipment/setup I have)...Course this is with tons of time sitting down and tweaking everything.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Do you have the urge when you are in other peoples home to calibrate their TV?

Do you have the urge or do you carry your SPL meter in your bag?

Do you wish you had your SPL meter right now?

Do you end up correcting sales people about audio/video equipment at stores?

Welcome to the club.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Paul Wu

Welcome to the club.
          Paul, have you been following me around? That sounds like me. :lol:
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• aphexist
            • Jan 2004

Whenever I watch a movie with a chick, I'm just trying to focus on one thing, and it's not the projector.

Oh! Gigity-gigity-goo!

Comment

• MetalMilitia
              • Feb 2006

ok i thought i was the only one, lol

probably means that i gotta tweak a bit more

Comment

• Mazar
                • Dec 2005

I think we should start a group to help us solve our delima..........
                H.T.A. Home Theater Anonymous
                *Backs away from the remote*

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

You guys are hilarious.

Originally posted by Paul Wu

Welcome to the club.
                  Uh, yes, yes, yes, yes, etc...

One of my funniest times in my life was being on a military trip, staying at a camp airbase in the Middle East. Went into one of the larger tents being used as a chapel where they had set up a projector and screen for movie night. The picture was WAY off, and I thought, "hey, I need to calibrate this... I'll just run back to my tent, where I've got a copy of Avia with me."

In a combat zone.

In the freakin' desert.

That's when my true geekhood was confirmed in my mind.

Metalmilitia, being serious and getting back to your original question, yes, there are definitely times where I've found myself focusing on calibration, settings, operation, etc, instead of the media itself. But the good news is, that the farther I've delved into high-end audio, I've found that my better equipment and skill in setting it up has really drawn me more and more into the media, helping me to better enjoy the experience and suspend disbelief. It's only gotten better over the years. The times that I get distracted mostly are the times where some sort of deficiency (in the room, equipment, or source) becomes very apparent to me and I just can't get over it.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Man... we're a bunch of nerds. lol
                    I think the I'm concern with now is if it gets too loud or soft, just like Pewter said.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by MetalMilitia
                      when watching movies with families and friends i can never concerntrate on the movie but i am too distracted by thinking about the equipment

eg. if the sound is right ie. sub at right level and center channel calibrated properly

or if the projector is focussed properly, right colour balance etc

i hope i'm not alone with this as everyone else says i'm paranoid and that the picture and sound quality is perfect

the deeper i get into the home theater game the fussier i become

is this a good thing?
                      As long as you don't start thinking this way when in bed with a loved one, you will be ok. ops:

Comment

• Joey_V
                        • Jul 2005

This is all too much.... lol...

Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

The first time I had guests I squirmed a bit, unsure if everything was okay ( especially the sound level, because it is close to reference),but since then guests are usually quite awe-struck by the big picture and sound and we all just sit back and enjoy things.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kemp
                            • Nov 2003

I was also obsessed in the beginning, but now i relax and just enjoy what i'm watching or listening
                            Marius

Comment

• MetalMilitia
                              • Feb 2006

so i'm not alone, shew, thought i was paranoid or something...

the only time i don't worry is when the girlfriend is around
                              the only worry then dimming the lights enough and warming the couch, lol

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"