X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

The Odd Couple.

So I've been experimenting with the B&W FST, on and off, for a while and I've finally come up with a combination that I am pretty happy with. It certainly isn't where I thought I'd end up!

The basic idea started when I saw the new SEAS coax drivers, I figured I'd like to give those a go, but didn't really have any real reason to do so, except to satisfy my curiosity. Then I got to thinking that the FST has the perfect surround for decent coaxial performance and the phase plug is easily removable. Indeed, unscrewing it leaves you with this.

A nice flat pole piece with an M6 hole tapped through the middle and a decent amount of depth in which to sink a tweeter. The only trouble is that the internal coil former requires a tweeter around 29mm in diameter to fit properly. This isn't easy to find. I first tried out the OT19 from Vifa. I already knew that this would be too wide to fit properly but I thought that it might be possible to mill down the outside to make it fit - no go, unless you want to risk damaging the tweeter. The only other options I could find would be to acquire some KEF replacement domes, some very unknown car tweeters from Ciare, or to try giving the ND16 from Dayton a go. I wasn't even sure if the idea would do what I wanted it to do, let alone work properly, so the inexpensive Dayton's fit perfectly for an experiment. I had already used these in a small loudspeaker and I had some concerns about their low end capabilities as the design would necessitate a cross no higher than 2500Hz. In a non wave-guide loaded design this tweeter really requires an xover around 3.5kHz, so the hope was that the gain, provided by the cone loading, would help it in this regard.

Now the ND16 isn't perfect for the job as it's external diameter is bigger than 29mm, but whereas the OT19 cannot be milled down, the ND16 can. Then a pair of contacts need to be transferred from the back of the tweeter through the front.

Here is a picture of the milled down tweeter and illustrates how I got the contacts through to the front.

And then here's a rear shot with an M6 screw glued to the back.

And two shots with the tweeter mounted. (Yes the FST sphere still needs finishing ops

Now I was very curious to see how the tweeter measured, all things considered wave guides and coaxes tend to have some issues, so this was always a bit of a gamble. The on axis curve was quite ugly, but they always tend to be. So slightly off axis things looked like this.

The only real issue is the dip at 12.5kHz, otherwise it looks great. The 12.5kHz issue varies in how bad it is with how far off axis you go.

Filtering this was surprisingly easy with only one notch being required along with the usual high pass elements.

Now I figured that the top octave issue would be fairly audible but it's far less of an issue than I thought it would be. I have read a number of comments, from wave guide people, saying that it is often best to ignore top octave stuff so long as what's below is absolutely fine, so maybe this is a prime example of that in practise.

That aside it sounds great, a $10 tweeter with a $200 mid isn't what would usually be prescribed but in this case it works very well together. I've measured the distortion at realistic listening levels and aside from a slight increase in 2nd and 3rd order around the lower end of the tweeters range, it seems to cope absolutely fine. There isn't an increase in 4th and 5th, which is what I was mainly concerned about. It'd be nice if Scanspeak would release a tiny Be tweeter, but I can't see that happening any time soon!

There is obviously some room for improvement and over the next few days I am going to be experimenting with DIY phase plugs in an attempt to help with the top octave issue as these are usually created by throat/tweeter diaphragm issues.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Nice! :P

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Agree, quite nice. I wonder if there's anything you can do with felt or otherwise on what remains of the tweeter frame to mitigate the dip in response. I'm thinking even a ring of felt might make a difference. Many of the better WG tweeter responses I've seen actually cover some of the surround and outside edge of the dome (without actually touching)
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• 5th element
        Supreme Being Moderator
        • Sep 2009

Mmm thanks guys, that's an interesting idea, I have got some felt. KEF seem to go crazy with their 'tangerine' style stuff, I believe it's all about breaking up the wave front directly in front of the tweeter/in the throat, to prevent interference from creating the nulls in the top octave.
        What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Very neat threads. It is always interesting to see something totally different.
          I would be interested in seeing how you made the sphere too.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

I have photos that document the building of the sphere, there are just loads of them, I will write it up at some point

I have been doing some more off axis measurements of these and it's no surprise that they actually sound good. When you get to around 15-20 degrees off axis the top octave hole completely vanishes and remains absent all the way out to 90 degrees. Besides the top octave issue, the power response is excellent. Still that isn't going to stop me trying to improve things.

Comment

• DS-21
              • Jun 2005

The Odd Couple.

Cool! I bet the Dayton is actually a better choice than most, because it has a waveguide "snout". Another one to look for is the old Aura NT1. It might be a bit bigger but IMO it was a really good tweet. Wish I had a set to send you.

As for phase plugs, remember that the KEF tangerine is just a swoopier version of the old Atlec phase plugs.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                Mmm thanks guys, that's an interesting idea, I have got some felt. KEF seem to go crazy with their 'tangerine' style stuff, I believe it's all about breaking up the wave front directly in front of the tweeter/in the throat, to prevent interference from creating the nulls in the top octave.
                Yup, that's my experience, too, and why the tweeter choice and details of construction matching up to the initial waveguide are so critical- it's hard to get the smoothness of the Modula MT XE, took a few design passes and evaluating several tweeters. Always the problem is destructive interference in the 10-13 kHz area.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                  Supreme Being Moderator
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DS-21
                  Cool! I bet the Dayton is actually a better choice than most, because it has a waveguide "snout". Another one to look for is the old Aura NT1. It might be a bit bigger but IMO it was a really good tweet. Wish I had a set to send you.
                  Yeah, it's one of the reasons I like the little Dayton, there's very little that it does wrong. The Aura was on my short list too, it's a shame that it isn't around any more. It's motor appears to be a little more advanced, or better developed, than the Dayton. It has significantly lower levels of distortion down where it counts. My only concern would be whether or not it would fit! In theory a 19mm dome, with a traditional narrow surround, should fit it just depends on if the rest of the construction would lend itself to being chopped up.

Originally posted by DS-21
                  As for phase plugs, remember that the KEF tangerine is just a swoopier version of the old Atlec phase plugs.
                  Interesting.

Comment

• Landspeeder
                    • Feb 2008

Sub'd!
                    My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731

Comment

• Jonasz
                      • Nov 2004

Maybe this could work also? Probably need a little higher crossover than 2500hz though...

Comment

• 5th element
                        Supreme Being Moderator
                        • Sep 2009

That one was also on my short list, or at least some small dome from Audax. I have used one of these before and you are right in that they don't really reach down far enough. This wouldn't be ideal for a directivity match although it wouldn't be bad. If you didn't want to modify the tweeter then it would probably fit straight out of the box.

Comment

• 5th element
                          Supreme Being Moderator
                          • Sep 2009

I have done a little bit more work on this. I've tried the felt and that didn't really do anything and I've tried holding various shapes in front of the dome just to see what affect they have. So far I've managed to find shapes that help the on axis response but they all seem to fudge with the off axis in one way or another. I suppose my problem is that the off axis response beyond around 15 degrees is superb and I'm wondering if it's possible to come up with some sort of design that will help that 0-15 degree region, but hardly affect 15+.

Some of KEF and TADs designs don't use any kind of phase plug yet still keep the top octave looking rather nice, I am assuming that this is down the shape of the throat and how the voice coil of the mid transitions into the cone of the driver. There's not a lot I can do about that here though!

Comment

• Juhazi
                            • May 2008

I don't believe that on-axis tricks are necessary. What was your measuring distance? Please show us off-axis at 15,30 and 60¤ too! What happens if you unscrew the tweeter say 3-5mm?
                            My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• JonP
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 5th element
                              Yeah, it's one of the reasons I like the little Dayton, there's very little that it does wrong. The Aura was on my short list too, it's a shame that it isn't around any more. It's motor appears to be a little more advanced, or better developed, than the Dayton. It has significantly lower levels of distortion down where it counts. My only concern would be whether or not it would fit! In theory a 19mm dome, with a traditional narrow surround, should fit it just depends on if the rest of the construction would lend itself to being chopped up.
                              Now, that's a cool hack... Maybe a second ND16 up top as a super tweeter, crossed to take over below that notch? That would be a B&W kind of thing, too, no?

I've used the Aura, and the Dayton ND20, and I think they are EXACTLY the same, from the outer chassis point of view. So, possibly the same inability to file it narrow enough, if that's the case. Don't sacrifice a NT1 for naught! Try a ND20 first.

Comment

• 5th element
                                Supreme Being Moderator
                                • Sep 2009

Nah it doesn't need a super tweeter, the notch is only a problem on axis and the close off axis.

Here is an image of the off axis response.

These were taken very crudely with the loudspeaker situated for normal listening and by moving the microphone around. It's a pain to get out the turntable for proper off axis measurements, but they are good enough to see what's going on.

The red curve is directly on axis, orange is about 15 degrees off axis, the yellow curve is 25 degrees off axis, dark blue around 45 degrees and the turquoise about 65 degrees off axis. In fact these show really why it sounds very nice, the only real issue is the top octave one, but while you have a notch in the close off axis you actually get a small hump in the far off axis, and this will help to balance out the presentation of the top octave. Ignoring the top octave issue the rest is really rather nice

And I just realised that in cropping the image I removed the scale on the vertical axis. Each major line is 10dB.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Do you notice any difference in presentation with the bump in the response in the 5-6 kHz region? Apart from these two issues this looks very nice.
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                    • Sep 2009

I haven't noticed anything. In previous designs peaks in this area have been rather distracting, causing excess sibilance on certain material and annoying the hell out of me. I didn't do very close off axis measurements, say 5 degrees or so, but the initial design work at the top of the thread is perfectly flat and is obviously done at less than 15 degrees because the top octave issue is worse than the 15 degree measurement. If the peak is only present directly on axis that would help to explain why it isn't a problem.

Comment

• ttan98
                                      • Mar 2007

HI,

I notice the original ND16, the On- axis measurement there is a dip around -2 to -3 dB in the 10-15Khz region similar to what you got, maybe not as deep. The FR curve of the ND16 can be found here:

ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter 6 Ohm - Dayton Audio - Don't let the low price fool you! This versatile tweeter is a huge step above the average "budget" tweeter.

The mounting of this tweeter to the woofer looks quite good except the I can see external wiring, how are you going to solve this problem?

Comment

• 5th element
                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ttan98
                                        HI,

I notice the original ND16, the On- axis measurement there is a dip around -2 to -3 dB in the 10-15Khz region similar to what you got, maybe not as deep. The FR curve of the ND16 can be found here:
                                        Yeah that's a good point. Wave guide loaded tweeters usually show some kind of cancellation issues, or directivity issues, somewhere in the top octave. If the ND16 is predisposed towards an issue in the same area then this could explain why it's quite severe in this case.

The mounting of this tweeter to the woofer looks quite good except the I can see external wiring, how are you going to solve this problem?
                                        I don't see it as a problem, so it's not going to be fixed?

Comment

• Face
                                          • Mar 2007

Tightly twisting or braiding them would make them more aesthetically pleasing.
                                          SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• ttan98
                                            • Mar 2007

Hi,

After mounting the tweeter to the metal body via the screw you attached to it, did you glue the tweeter to the woofer membrane, or is it isolated from the woofer's membrane?
                                            If it is not glued, would the woofer sound different?, normally the dust attached the the woofer holds the woofer membrane together in give it correct woofer Freq. Resp..

Comment

• 5th element
                                              Supreme Being Moderator
                                              • Sep 2009

It's isolated, the cone of the midrange driver needs to be able to move freely, otherwise you'd be locking the voice coil firmly in place. The FST doesn't normally use a dust cap, it uses a phase plug. This fixes directly to the top of the pole piece and isn't attached to the midrange drivers voice coil either. Changing from the phase plug to the tweeter does alter the midrange drivers frequency response a little, but only quite high up, like at 5kHz+ etc. For a good directivity match you need to cross this no higher than 2500Hz, so that's well away from where the phase plug would normally be affecting things.

Comment

• DS-21
                                                • Jun 2005

Hi,

After mounting the tweeter to the metal body via the screw you attached to it, did you glue the tweeter to the woofer membrane, or is it isolated from the woofer's membrane?
                                                If it is not glued, would the woofer sound different?, normally the dust attached the the woofer holds the woofer membrane together in give it correct woofer Freq. Resp..
                                                Andrew Jones convincingly showed on DIYA that what marketers call a "phase plug" on hifi midranges and midwoofers is really just a cosmetic pointy bit atop the pole piece.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                  Supreme Being Moderator
                                                  • Sep 2009

Haha, yes, that is normally the case, but in the case of the B&W it does alter it's response at the very top of it's range. B&W use this driver up unreasonably high, crossing very shallow at 4kHz. Phase plugs also assist in helping to keep the voice coil cool.

I don't remember the exact changes that occurred, with and without the phase plug, mainly because they were way outside the range that I would be using the FST within anyway, but they were there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"