Do many HTG members actually like music?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Do many HTG members actually like music?

I have been a member of the HTGuide Forum for 6 months now and derive a lot of pleasure from my involvement.

However I sometimes wonder if the members here actually like music. It’s like a club of auto enthusiasts who polish their cars every weekend, open the bonnet occasionally, discuss their vehicles endlessly with their friends, but never actually take them out of the garage and onto the road.

Perhaps a lot of members listen to music all the time but don’t talk about it in this forum because that’s not the purpose of this forum?

Perhaps the members of this forum discuss music on other forums?

Perhaps I’m just imagining it?
  • Boombox
    • Oct 2005

Excellent observation...I'm a jazz/fusion fan....
    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

Hehe, that's funny... reminds me why new zealanders (the kiwis) are loved by us on the bigger island (the aussies)!

HTguide, that is Home Theater, and the emphasis is there, but there are lot of music fans here too. But music is like a lot of things in life, tastes vary, preferences are individual, and no one is wrong.

I come here for hardware discussions and there http://www.audioasylum.com/ for music (especially for SACD music and sources).

I haven't watched a movie in 3 or 4 weeks, I listen to music. My TV is for the news and for the kids.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
        But music is like a lot of things in life, tastes vary, preferences are individual, and no one is wrong.
        Just like hi-fi!

Originally posted by csuzor
        I come here for hardware discussions and there http://www.audioasylum.com/ for music (especially for SACD music and sources).
        Thanks csuzor, I'll try it out.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Very Funny. Sometimes it's not about the music or movie, it's all about the gear.

mantis

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

It's all about the gear????
            Isn't this the type of person he's talking about? Why spend all the money if you're not going to enjoy it's purpose? For bragging rights??? Out of all my friends that have heard my system, they have liked the way it sounds but haver never really cared about my components except for the speakers. I can't really brag to someone that doesn't care for the details.

It's funny you asked about music cause I started thinking... there's a lot mentioned of music, yet the name of this place is Home Theater Guide.

I personally love old jazz (1930-1950). I listen to a lot of different types pf music, but I buy my toys mainly for my jazz and enka (Japanese).
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

I like music, when I'm in the mood. Moreso than movies in fact. After all, I'm crazy enough to have a 2 channel tubed headphone system in my cubicle at work!

We have an area for talking 2 channel audio, in Audio Hideout. And In Tune is the place to talk about the music itself. So we do have areas on the forum for music enthusiasts.

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

Music is the whole reason I ever got into the home theater realm! I've been listening to music (and desiring better stereo components) since I was in junior high (remember listening to albums like Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic at my friend's house...). My first Pioneer receiver and cassette deck lasted me well into college. During that period I bought my first 'high-end' component -- a Carver compact disc player that cost me many part-time paychecks...

Once the home theater 'movement' started booming and I could afford the components and the extra speakers, it was a natural progression. However, the ability to enjoy surround sound music (I've got a pretty good collection of SACDs and DVD-Audio) is still one of the most important driving factors in my desire to continually upgrade. The home theater allows my to spend time with my wife watching movies, but my time alone listening to surround music is my personal form of meditation.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...I still enjoy Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic on the multi-channel SACD version I picked up recently... 8)
                Brad

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Music. Oh, yeah, for sure. I was into music long before TV even entered the picture, let alone home thater. As Kevin said, there is plenty of music discussion at IN TUNE.

That thing about cars ? Yeah, the guys here are really into that, too.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aphexist
                    • Jan 2004

I rarely just sit down and "enjoy the music." That is for dilletantes. Most of my time is spent switching out interconnects and speaker cables. After that, I calibrate with Avia, listen to one song from the Stereophile disc, and cry myself to sleep.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Love music!!!

Unfortunately in today's busy world I don't get any where near as much time as I'd like to listen to it. Especially when I don't have a "dedicated" room (just a open split level family room) and have to take in to consideration my significant other and 14 year old stepdaughter... As such the bulk of my listening time is at work via computer or in my car. Though the quality is nowhere near my home system. Though I suppose that does allow me to enjoy that quality even more when I do get the chance to listen :T

But there is music discussion here, heck I started a pretty succesful "Must Have DVD-A/SACD" thread in In Tune.

If you think there should be more music discussion, by all means keep on bringing up music related topics, as you can see you'll get responses

As for my musical tastes, I like everything from classical, opera and jazz to classic and modern rock,50-60's R&B (modern "R&B, if you can even call it that, is utter garbage IMO), "trip-hop", hip hop etc... Pretty much everything but country and "pop" music :lol:
                      Jason

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

I really like HT but I probabaly listen to music 80% of the time. In fact, most of my upgrades are focused in improving 2 ch music playback.

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Heck . I love music, I constanly have something playing, my radio or CD player turns on at 7:00 in the morning and does not go off until sometimes midnight, I will take music anyway I can get it, I really dont care what its played on.
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

I do care what it's played on...no MP3 for me! But I love my Sirius satellite radio in the car...
                            Brad

Comment

• cinema bob
                              • Apr 2005

right now probably 99% of the music i listen to is via my iPod in aac format. I am planning a dedicated 2 channel system. however film is truly a passion, i am slowly working on my masters in film history, with plans to continue for my PhD.

Comment

• Taito
                                • Sep 2004

For me, I'm like the guy who has his car (loves his car), takes it out every chance I get. It doesn't matter too much which road it takes me down, but if it's a well-finished road, all the better.

It is about the equipment, but it's MORE about what the equipment lets me do - sit there, shut my eyes and be immersed in music. I'll listen to just about anything, but am not too keen on punk (emo) or country. Just about anything else is fair play. I do have some favourites though.

Great thread, Bigburner.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Well, it comes down to available bandwidth- while I find that the DIY projects and video that I help with at HT Guide have appeal to many, my musical tastes are both diverse, eclectic, and peculiar (at times), and some driven more by emotional nostalgia than sheer artistry- and other times the opposite.

I'd say I don't spend much time talking about the music, becuase I don't figure my interests or opinions are any more valuable or helpful than anyone elses's - maybe even less!

My main listening is two channel audio, then three channel HT. Though I've had front projection since the mid 80s, I don't really consider myself an HT buff in the classic mold- no seven channel receiver, no monster sub (OK, the drivers are all in boxes, still... ), and I care more about how the musical score sounds in the HT than the explosions!

I have about 500 CD's and about 150 SACD's, as if that matters. Then again, I do have a few hundred DVD's, too. Don't ask. But I listen to music a lot more than I watch video stuff- and I don't even get cable- the ONLY TV I watch is via DVD.

I am experimenting with solutions for a music server. Most listening is done with a Benchmark DAC and monster Sony SACD player. The music server will feed another Benchmark DAC. May have something working by Xmas time... I have several large drives filled with music, but may be recoding it again, as I may be using Apple Lossless instead of .WAV or FLAC.

Now it looks like I'll be waiting for one of the new media oriented Mac Mini's. Want a built in
                                  Last edited by JonMarsh; 25 December 2005, 18:03 Sunday. Reason: updated Info
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Jon, can't you use the optical input for the server and the coax from the Sony in to the single DAC1?
                                    Jason

Comment

• gd
                                      • Jan 2003

If it wasn't for music, I wouldn't bother hanging around here, where I can get good input on good playback.

Heck, if it wasn't for music, I wouldn't bother getting outa the sack... I've got a pretty steady stream of tunes going all the time.

As for being here on a(n) HT forum... I did jump in in the late 80s and get a VCR, Laserdisc player, and a for-real serious 27" CRT... but the HT was always built around music playback... as time went on and DVD was added, I found that, despite building a fair library of titles, I don't watch them all that much, instead opting for music.

Prolly won't get any appreciable TV monitor or PJ... at least not until the CRT (currently a 32" Panny) dies... and I hope that's at least a decade away.

I'd rather play with new speakers and spin some Zappa.
                                      greg (gd to you)
                                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• rushisrighton
                                        • Oct 2005

I work on cars for a living, and home theater is my escape from that! I"m currently working on restoring a 63 impala convertable, a 78 mustang official pace car (I know, I know, don't burn it just yet). Just finished a 63 corvette and 69 camaro. I listen to that darn radio all day long while I am at work, sometimes it sounds like an air chissel! I prefer talk radio (hence the name rushisrighton) It is much easier to do intricate work and learn something than to do it with axel rose wailing in your ear!!! :M

Comment

• H.Donald
                                          • Aug 2004

Like most here,I use my system more for music than anything else.There is not a day that goes by where music is not played somewhere in my home.In my truck,XM radio came already installed....I was immediately hooked.Downstairs in my "cave" is my main system.On the first floor in a family room/kitchen area is a second HT/music system....between my wife and kids one or two movies may be watched on the weekends....but music is an everyday thing.

Comment

• Nick M
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

My system is used mostly for music as well. Hell, I don't even have cable, so usually the only time I fire up the projector is when a new release comes out, I buy some DVDs, or I have company over for a flick.

A good 80% of the time I'm listening to 5.1 DVD-A/SACD or 2ch while I cook, read, do crap around the apartment, etc.

When I want news/weather I go online.

Musci all the way! :T
                                            ~Nick

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
                                              • Jun 2005

I think one of the reasons people in general are not as enthusiastic about music is because of the lack of good radio programming.In the 70's you could turn the dial all over the place and find independent radio stations,now those call numbers are a memory.Commercial sound and MTV rule the ratings and most stations are geared towards a teenage crowd.XM for those who have it can have variety as well as online stations.

The other thing I notice is that not everybody is into the kind of music I listen too.I like blues and blues/rock but when friends come over and they hear my library some can not identify with it. Others think I listen to strange music and they identify more with whats on the radio.

Well I'll end on this note the other day I turned on the tv for background noise and heard a programm called, according to jim. Oh my God that show is as bad as the junk on the radio. Well I could rant and rave about this and that but then you guys would think I have the blues all the time.

Comment

• Jack Keck
                                                • Jan 2005

After assembling a nice HT/music set-up with a universal DVD player and DIY sub, a public radio station in the Detroit area started playing classical music all day and jazz after 7:00 pm.

So what do you think I've been listening to every chancce I get? Most of that has been on the FM tuner on my mp-3 player, which I got only to use when I am using my treadmill.

I wonder if I'll ever buy another cd. I only have 3 hi-rez discs so far. I get to watch maybe a coupla movies a month. I am finding that I prefer old tv shows to movies. I just got the Alfred Hitchcock first season on DVD.

I might not upgrade again unless something breaks. I may be reaching a stage where I could be happy with a nice radio and the DVD player playing its sound through the TV. I never thought I'd see such a day.

I hope I'm OK. ops:
                                                Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• Clive
                                                  Former Moderator
                                                  • Jan 2002

Music? 90% of the time I do listen to Jazz or R+B. When in my Van I listen to 680 news (All news radio) and/or 94.7 Jazz station.

At home when we have visitors we'd rather listen to Cds more than watch a movie. Back in the day when HT Dolby Digital was new it would be Movies first then music

I must confess that it is about the gear and what I can do with it when I need too. (Show off)
                                                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                    • Sep 2004

My primary is system is 2 channel music only. We have a small teac system for HT.
                                                    I have wondered about the music question myself.
                                                    In fact I have noticed that after owning my new system for a year I am finally starting to listen to the music and not the system. I listen to rock, jazz (big Miles Davis fan) classical, blues - everything but opera. Even some new avant garde kinda stuff like Tosca who I highly recommend. As I write this my wife and daughter are watching Charlie and the Chocolare factory on the small HT system while I am listening to wqxr a classical radio station in NYC and surfing Ht forum. Its a perfect Friday night.
                                                    Mitchell

Comment

• thyname
                                                      • Jan 2005

2 channel music at most of the time! However, I can't escape the HT, and sooner or later I am building my own.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

What a great bunch of people!!!

Comment

• brendon
                                                          • Aug 2004

My HT room was really just an excuse to get a room to listen to music by my self away from the rest of the house.But now has evolved to being the main TV watching room at night and I now have find somewhere else to listen to my music!
                                                          I will have to put a 2 channel system in my workshop come shed when I finally get it to the top of the priority list.
                                                          Wanting to see Talking Heads stop Making sense Film on DVD was my main reason to buy a DVD unit and then I made sure it was a SACD/DVD-A so I could try multichannel music.
                                                          Whilst I like Movies a lot and plan on buying a PJ soon I only own music DVD s.
                                                          Brendon

Comment

• DLA
                                                            • Mar 2005

Music!...Yes

I have been writing music for over 35 years and listen to it all te time, as my signiture goes. Good observation.
                                                            If you like loud bass, check out my songs.
                                                            DLA Songs

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2000

I love music, I just don't have enough time to listen when I want.... I find it's soothing and much more therapeutic than Movies more consistently.
                                                              Bing

Comment

• gostan
                                                                • May 2003

I recently changed pre-pro's to one which I perceive to be better for 2 channel listening, as well as a separate cd player to help its' music capabilities. If I only cared about HT, I would never have attempted this upgrade.

The first thing I do in the evening after arriving home, is to "put the music on"!
                                                                Stan

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                  • May 2004

It's all about the music!!

I listen to music every single day and it's not unusual for me to listen through 7-8 albums, while I'm working.

I love movies too, but music is the dominating force in this home.

As Mr. Bellefontaine stated, there's plenty of music discussion in the "In Tune " section.
                                                                  Tony

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
                                                                    Jon, can't you use the optical input for the server and the coax from the Sony in to the single DAC1?
                                                                    I COULD, but probably only if they're in the same room, and besides, I'm looking for an excuse to buy another Benchmark DAC- especially the cool new silver ones!

I like the idea of having a Benchmark available for "mobile" applications, portable use that is, so this would all fit together, I think. The music server is probably going to be in the bedroom system with the M8ta, and could just drive an Aragon amp direct, or perhaps through a balanced passive Marchand preamp (another item on my "want" list; don't know that I can justify another Ayre preamp for the bedroom, though with it's remote, that would be sweet).
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Well now it all makes sense :W You want more toys!!!! :lol:

You know that's really unfair don't you...? I mean here I am dreaming of having even one DAC1 and you're planning on buying your second! :
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Heck, y'all know I like music. Lots of music. Most kinds of music. The last several months my movie/TV time has been pretty restricted by all the goings on in our life, so listening to music has taken a big jump for me - probably up to 80% or so. No vinyl though, just CDs and radio, and very little "serious" listening. It's been more to entertain and enjoy while we were packing, driving, lying exhausted on the floor or whatever.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mtodde
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2005

As my system has improved I've found myself listening to more music than ever...I'm 75% music at least these days.

Comment

• KeithM
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 285

Am I the only metal-head here?

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by KeithM
                                                                              Am I the only metal-head here?
                                                                              I like a fair amount of Metal along with the rest of my musical genres. Not solely a metal-head though If you haven't already, you NEED to hear the Metallica "Black" album on DVD-A. One of my favourite DVD-A's :yesnod:
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• comeup
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2005
                                                                                • 356

#40
                                                                                Love both and have two sytsems HT and HIFI 50/50 If it sounds good I like IT....... and I love Jazzz..

PS. David Sandborn (Timeline) great SACD track.
                                                                                Blake

Comment

• scottielee
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 121

#41
                                                                                  my audio fever began when i was searching for an system to "go with" my plasma tv...

now my audio system occasionally gives-in to my dvd player's (and my bleeding ears') begging to send through some dialog. what a snob (my system)...

Comment

• cdwitmer
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 136

#42
                                                                                    Primarily concerned with surround sound rather than with the video side, I love messing with hi-fi hardware and software, and I also love music. I attend classical music live concerts regularly and think this has done more for my music enjoyment and my home listening than anything else, in part because I have many commercial recordings that were recorded live at the very concerts I attended. (Those provide me with excellent reference material for evaluating my system.) I'm always keen to continue the hunt for the holy grail of better sound, but my oldest daughter -- who is doing very well at the local music conservatory and seems poised to become a successful classical musician -- is much less interested in hi-fi than I am. (She can derive musical pleasure from looking at a printed score of music: it's all in her head.) But she is extremely critical in her music listening, much more so than I am. More than once I have been listening to a recording of a composition that she likes and she'll ask me to turn it off, saying she can't stand the way the piece is being performed by the musicians . . .

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Sep 2002
                                                                                      • 1584

#43
                                                                                      I listen to music much more than watch the tube. My favorite is classical. I used to love talking about gear, but, now that my equipment is pretty much in place, I've kind of fallen out of interest. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I keep hearing a voice telling me to get an ACI sub though, but that voice isn't as loud as the one insisting that I get another new bike (third one this year).
                                                                                      Keith

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2000
                                                                                        • 802

#44
                                                                                        In our home we usually have to break out a rag and dust the TV screen before turning it on, we watch so few movies. Both my wife and I prefer to go to movie theaters. My wife sees almost everything, I'm a little more picky and maybe average one movie a month. I know that liking movie theaters puts us in a minority here but, we have theaters here that are much different than what can be found in most other cities around the world. I have speant enough time in other places to understand why people would prefer their home theaters to the local theaters. We go to the Bridge where the leather seating is roomy, you pick your seat, and the audience is respectful to the medium.
                                                                                        Music is another story. While I don't use my system as much as I would like, I go to live events very frequently. If I were to average it out, it would probably be 3 times a week. Some weeks no live music, some weeks every night.
                                                                                        For some people it is about the equipment. I have two friends like that. One is a engineer who loves to tweak his system, that's what gives him pleasure. The other, I think it us about prestige. He has a HT that must be around $100,000 yet knows nothing about movies and also doesn't seem to know much about music. To each his own.

Comment

• KeithM
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2005
                                                                                          • 285

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by aud19
                                                                                          I like a fair amount of Metal along with the rest of my musical genres. Not solely a metal-head though If you haven't already, you NEED to hear the Metallica "Black" album on DVD-A. One of my favourite DVD-A's :yesnod:
                                                                                          I have that and it rocks, but my favorite is probably Iron Maiden's DVDA or even Iced Earth's Gettysburg DVD. You have to get the Iron Maiden through import, but it's worth every penny .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"