X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

HTG, it's what we make of it

Hello all, a quick word from Mats and I. Ok, Mats doesn't know about this message, but I do.

I've been paying attention. Attention to the new feature of "who's online". We tend to keep at least 25-30 people online all the time, and as high as 61 so far. Those are pretty good numbers for a 1000 member forum. However, our new post and reply numbers could use some work.

Sure, not everyone has a new topic in mind every day, nor can they alwa ys post to a topic every day. and we don't need topics just for the sake of having them, without real value. But I find it hard to believe, that you folks are posting all your quesitons, and findings here for people to view, and post on. It just seems there's a somewhat laxidazical tendency to ask questions, and post answers by some people since so many are online at any one point in time. At least 15-20 hours a day, we have at least 20-50 members online. But nobody's posting much! Others of you do a fantastic job getting involved.

I'm looking for answers here folks. Answers as to why I go to visit some other forums, and see all these new topics, and large numbers of people getting involved in existing topics. Then I come back, and find very few new posts at home.

If your an innocent bystander here, I'm asking you to get involved. If you've just by accident fallen into the casual observer catagory, I'm asking you to get involved again. If your visiting a club of interest only, I'm asking you to get involved in the rest of the forum.

I feel that we could retain as well as attract more new members with more quality posts. Sure, we've always got a few good topics going. But a few more sure would be nice.

I'm not browbeating you all, as you folks are what makes us HTG. But by the same token, I'm saying, hey, HTG is what you make of it, and if everyone sits on the sidelines reading only, then we have nothing to read. Think about it-

Thanks for listening,
    Doug
    Admin
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Good observation Lex. I wish I could contribute more but I'm not that smart.... what do ya expect from an ole hillbilly anyway? lol I wish I could do better at responding rather than being one who seems to always be looking for an answer, but I'm not made that way or haven't learned enough yet.

I think as we grow you will definitely see more action. Some of the other forums I have visited may have upwards of 5000 or more members and obviously they will have more topics, although it seems like a madhouse and that's why I don't visit them near as often as here.

Although there may not be as many topics or as much activity here as some other places, the quality here is very good, and I can't think of a time when someone hasn't had a good topic not responded to in a quality manner.

Btw, is laxidazical really a word? Sounds like it fits me pretty good!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Thanks Sonnie. Well, is laxidazical a word? You prefer Lexidazical? lol.

Actually, you must be right, it isn't a word, just some slang term that I've picked up. But I've heard it used before, and used it before.

Technically, LAX with an apostrophe after it, can have about anything after it, so how about lax'idazacal. Lax'ity, Lax'ness, and Lax'ly were listed as words.

Anyway, my point is, get your a$$ to posting. :LOL: Now, you gonna tell me a$$ isn't a word?

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

This is a topic very close to my thoughts. I've noticed the lack of involvement by many members. It seems like the same small group get involved repeatedly. A forum such as this is built on input. You may think that your response to a question would be insignificant. But it just might be exactly what the thread starter was looking for.

I've noticed that the ratio of posts -> views in any given thread is way out of whack in most cases. I for one have posted a number of questions, and repeatedly get very few responses. And it's frustrating to see that so many read the thread, but so few take a moment to respond. If the subject intrigued you enough to view it, it must be within your realm of understanding, interest or knowledge. So why not add to it?

Another area of disappointment is those members who post a question looking for help or insight, and don’t return the favor. Many times the question is in the realm of, "I really need help, or information ASAP." Many times the originator is a new member, with very few ticks on the post count. And more often than not, they get the help or answer they needed, and disappear. A forum is an exchange of information. If you got the help you needed, it sure would be nice to see some reciprocation. If you see a topic in which you may be able to inject some information, knowledge, experience or even levity into, please do so.

One other item that I feel needs to be addressed. Please, Please, Please. Look into the other forums here at HTguide. You may have ROTEL gear, and spend most of your time in Club ROTEL. But there are other areas, which you could interject. Especially subject headings like A/V Chalet, Audio Hideout and the Home Theater forums.

The Admins and Mods of this site have done a wonderful job with it’s development, and in keeping the original promise and structure on the path and concept for which it was initiated. A place for enthusiasts/audiophiles/fans to come and get help, learn or simply discuss that which they have a passion for. SOUND REPRODUCTION! :T Without being demeaned, chastised or belittled in anyway. You will never have your head ripped of for posting your opinion or experience(s). This forum is built around a VERY subjective topic. Unlike many forums out there (whether it’s this subject or others) there is no tolerance for arrogance, intimidation or just plain being an ASS. That was the original thought process and reason for starting this site. And as such, they have done an exemplary job in keeping with that model. So feel free to interject what you know. Someone… will get something out of it.

Thanks for reading. We know return you to your regularly scheduled forum. :grab:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well said thomas:T

PS its spelled lackadaisical

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

no d@m wonder I couldn't find it in the dictionairy Pratt. That's the problem of looking up a word you want to spell. If you miss it to far, like I did, you can't even look the d@m thing up, lol. But thanks for vindication that i was attempting to hit a real word. I just overshot the target. :a>'>

Thomas, said even better than I could say. Well done! Thank you as well for the vote of confidence of how this forum was established, and how we run things here. It's not like any other forum on the net, and that is by design.

You won't see whole pages of advertisements here, nor management clamping down on the general population to the point they inhibit the very thing they are trying to allow, and that's free discussion! But you won't see us allow slamming and flaming either.

Nor will you see us nickel and dime the members for donations. The only way we would do that was if it was totally unavoidable, and even then relunctantly.

For the people, and by the people pretty well says it all! But in the end, we are only as successful as we all make it.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Well I thought I'd heard of a word close to what Lex posted too and obvixiously my spelling is baddddddd. Thanks for the clarification Andrew.

Thomas, I do read a lot of posts myself without replying. Most of the time I'm late reading them and what others have posted says enough and/or says it all. Another post would more or less be redundant. Then again, 3/4 of these posts I read I don't understand because I'm just plain not smart enough. Hanging around goats and geese don't educate a man too well ya know.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I have noticed that often I read things at TTP that would make good posts in one of the various forum rooms. Since most of the membership does not participate at TTP, maybe some thought should be given to this. Anyway, I understand where Lex is coming from, and I'm sure none of us wants to see the 1000 member figure slip due to a stale forum.I try not to get disgusted when there are few replies to my threads at DVD Director. I try to come up with interesting ideas for posts at the Chalet and Home Theater, but sometimes it's hard to come up with a topic.

I will try harder.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I've noticed that the ratio of posts -> views in any given thread is way out of whack in most cases. I for one have posted a number of questions, and repeatedly get very few responses.
                  Thomas, there is one explaination for part of this. Say a topic has 7 responses.

The guy that started it is view one.

Someone posts, that's view 2, and the original poster re-reads, that's 3.

Someone replies to 2, let's call him well, 3. That's view 4, and poster 1, 2, and 3, view as well, that's 5,6,7 views, and 3 posts.

Now, the mulitiplier effect kicks in some, poster 4 posts, that's view 8. Now 1,2,3 view, that's 9,10,11 views. 4 posts.

Poster 5 comes along, and says, I know the answer, that's view 12. Now 1,2,3 and 4 re-view who wrote what, that's 13,14,15, and 16 views. You get the idea. 5 posts, 16 views, just by the original people involved.
                  6 replies, 22 views.
                  7 replies, 29 views.

The more replies to a topic, the more this thing scales up. Finally, people are viewing every time they log in, just to make sure nothing's there, say all original posters view for 3 days, add 21 more views, for a total of 50 views.

So, that's part of it anyway. In addition to all the "readers". Readers being those that don't post much, they just view.

Go George go.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"