X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLA
    • Mar 2005

Digital Video Essentials Which one?

When I bought my AVIA DVD I also saw the Digital Video Essentials, however one the back of the DVD it said it came in 3 versions, PAL (European?), HDTV, and (please forgive my ignorance) SMTD?, probably not the right acronym, anyway they only had the SMTD? and the PAL versions so I opted for the AVIA DVD. So which version should I get I heard the SMTD? version would have been right. Please advise.
    If you like loud bass, check out my songs.
    DLA Songs
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It's actually NTSC not SMTD. It stands for National Television System Committee which set the standards for North American TV that we've used for 60+ years. That's the DVE version you want for normal home set-up. PAL is the European standard.

Just recently, I found DVE to give me a superior picture on my 58" Pioneer Elite than either the original Video Essentials or AVIA. I always had a slight red-push when I finished calibrating with those, which had to be "manually" corrected. With the new version (DVE) I have no color imbalance at all - at least that I can see. YMMV.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yes, the NTSC version is correct. If you have a D-VHS player, you can get it in true high definition for better calibration.

DVE is an updated version of the original Video Essentials with information on newer digital technologies. It doesn't entirely replace the original VE, as there are some good montages and calibration signals on the original. Avia's been updated too, with Avia Pro, but it's about $400 for professionals. I've always got best results by using both DVE/VE and Avia. Using all 3 will only give you a better dialed-in result.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
        It's actually NTSC not SMTD. It stands for National Television System Committee which set the standards for North American TV that we've used for 60+ years. That's the DVE version you want for normal home set-up. PAL is the European standard.
        I believe he may have been quoting SMPTE but yes NTSC is the correct version as you pointed out :T
        Jason

Comment

• saurabh
          • Feb 2005

Is the DVE used primarily for Fine tuning your display or also your sound system, I mean like the HTS sound ?????.
          Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Both. To really take advantage of the audio section you really need an spl meter. Radio Shack sells them for about $35.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Saurabh, just an FYI - SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. The meter allows you to accurately set the volume levels for each speaker, so that the sound you hear at the primary listening position is equal from all parts of the room. It's a small but important piece of equipment that no HT owner should be without.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
                Saurabh, just an FYI - SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level. The meter allows you to accurately set the volume levels for each speaker, so that the sound you hear at the primary listening position is equal from all parts of the room. It's a small but important piece of equipment that no HT owner should be without.
                Unless of course you have auto-calibration equipment .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Azeke
                  Unless of course you have auto-calibration equipment .

Regards,

Azeke
                  Aaaah... I still prefer to do it mannually :P
                  Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Aaaah... I still prefer to do it mannually
                    Can't do room eq manually as good though. The setup feature is ok, but the room eq aspects are what makes it the best.

Comment

• Murunga
                      • Feb 2005

SVS sells an Avia and SPL meter combo : ). I bought the combo pack.

Murunga

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

I picked up an AVIA and the meter with the purchase of my SVS.

That AVIA disc made a huge improvment in the picture.....well worth it!
                        ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"