Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Mutec MC-3+USB - the real deal

Anyone that is looking to improve the sound from their media pc, be it Windows, Linux, or MAC... (and hasn't spent a ton of money on some other USB to SPDIF solution)... I highly recommend taking a look at the solution from Mutec.

The new MC-3+ USB is 'essentially' the original MC-3+ Master clock with the added functionality of the MC-1.2 USB to SPDIF converter built in.

Now one might think, as I did, that two separate units are much better than one single unit. And about 80% of the time, this is a correct statement... And in the case of the MC-3+ USB... well... fortunately for some and unfortunately for me... this is not the case. I tried and really tried NOT to tell myself that the MC-3+ USB was better...but some times the truth is just so blatant and "staring you in the face" that you just have to forgo any prejudices one might keep and learn to accept.

That's what I did here. I just accepted that the "all in one" solution is in fact better than the combo. So why is that? Well after talking with a couple of people that work for Mutec the main differences (or three of them specifically) that makes things better are as follows...

1) Cleaned up and better power supply. I don't believe the Power supply is a linear power supply (still one step that could make things better)... but it's one heck of a low ripple and quiet power supply. The PSU is much better matched and suited to the clock inside.

2) Better USB receiver. The new version better isolates the unit from the power coming off your computer. This means there's less noise coming through your USB cable and effecting the Master clock.

3) A better reference clock. They didn't change much, but it is a slightly different implementation of the clock and slightly more accurate of a clock used. Sort of like anything where V1 is great, but V2 is slightly better using the same princples... it's one of those types.

I believe it took me less than an hour to realize that the MC-1.2 was out of the picture and the new MC-3+ USB was here to stay.

Now on top of that... I've heard good things with reclocking a signal twice... and could it possibly be that doing this would work? Well since the original MC-3+ was just sitting there, let's put it back into the mix, we'll test things and then I'll pull it out when I don't notice a difference.

Here again... I got fooled into thinking "what's the chances." Well as good as the MC-3+USB is... reclocking the signal coming out with the MC-3+ improved the sound quality again. Maybe not as big of a jump as the MC-3+ USB by itself...but it no less made a much more realistic presentation. It's like adjusting the microscope ever so slightly to bring something more in focus. You can much more easily hear the "micro detail" in instruments. One example is how on many brass instruments, you can much more clearly hear the reed vibrate or valves opening and closing. It's not an annoying level of detail or adding an additional level of brightness... it's more on the level of "if you were sitting there not far from the instrument you'd hear the same thing."

So anyone that thinks you can't increase the quality of your audio by reclocking and reclocking a 2nd time... well I've got some bad news for ya!

And to add to the insanity even further. I did all this without using my iFI Micro USB3 Power and reclocker in-between the computer and the MC-3+ USB. With the Mutec cutting the power coming from the PC... it really shouldn't do anything (even the older iFI Micro USB that I have - without reclocking)... well it cleans things up even a little bit more.

So essentially the best sound I get is doing a triple reclock on the audio signal... Crazy I know... but the benefits are well worth the extra effort!

Hands down, if anyone is looking for a way to improve the sound coming off their media PC... this is NOT a bad way to start!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNo6jJE.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	930656
    Last edited by theSven; 24 March 2023, 17:02 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Sweet!
    you got the triple-play going on, now.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Double re-clocking is something we confirmed with the DCD-8 as well as the TotalDAC reclocking units back in 2012- turns out that the net improvement with so DCD-8 is much smaller, enough so that I can't really recommend it- and that you can get much the same effect going with Paul Hynes shunt regulators on just one DCD-8. This is "confirmed" by my friend's wife in Germany- she's the skeptic and the acid test for any "improvements" we make to his system. She's very good natured about it, but firm- you know, like a doctor. Oh yeah, she is a doctor. Funny about that...

I'm planing to switch over shortly to the Mutec in the main system, due to wanting the automatic sample rate tracking. Slow work takes time... Just a lot going on these days.

Thanks for taking the time to update us with your experience!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"