X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

My first taste of SACD - Sony DVP-S9000ES

I just received a Sony DVP-S9000ES and all I can say is.. WOW! SACD is fantastic! The person I purchased the Sony from sent me a few SACDs which include, Soul Survivor - The Best of Sam McClain, another called BluesQuest and one called Tower of Power Live - Soul Vaccination. I never heard of any of these but I love them now. I can't remember which track at the moment but one on Tower of Power really made the 5 1/4" drivers in my speakers dance like I've never seen them move before!!!

If anyone is familiar with the above music.. I'd love some recommendations of music that would be along these lines.

Redbook sounds better (more 3D) but it wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be over my Pioneer DV-525.. Any improvement is better than none though

Now all I need is a widescreen TV to enjoy the picture this thing is capable of displaying.

My system has made a dramatic change over the last month.. and it's been nothing but FUN along the way!!!

Just wanted to share...........

Tom
    Tom
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

That 9000 is a nice one-box solution indeed! I tried SACD about two years ago, but sold my player because there just wasn't enough titles that I liked. I'm sure there are more titles now. Maybe I'll get a multichannel sacd/dvd-a player when the progressive scan is significantly better than my RP91.

You'll definitely hear a big improvement in your system when you get speakers with larger than 5 1/4 inch drivers

btw, if you're looking for a highend preamp with subwoofer outs, one of my friends is selling a Citation 7.0...yes, it has 6axis and surround, but everyone who's owned it say rivals equally expensive $3-4k 2 channel preamps.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I've had a 9000 for over 2 years now and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Sure it isn't as spiffy as the newer multichannel units but it's still a nice DVD, CD, and SACD player, and nothing touches it for build quality. And yes, SACDs sound wonderful on it.

Sony replaced the 9000 with the DVP-NS999ES but it is a far less impressive (IMHO) player.

Note that my speakers have 5-inch drivers and they'll blow away a lot of larger-drivered speakers. Like Yoda says, "size matters not... judge me by my size do you?" (or something like that!) Or "it's not the size but how you use it"

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I have a few CD's of Tower of Power myself. I've been a trumpet player all my life, and heard them play once on the Letterman show. Great funk w/ brass. One of my favorite things to listen to is a trumpet solo that will rock you to the bones. It's about halfway through a song called "You Can't Fall Up (You Just Fall Down)". It's on an album I think entitled "Walk the Monster" or something.

I crank that song up every now and then, along with some Phil Driscoll trumpet stuff, and enter nirvana. I'd love to hear that stuff on SACD!

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"